• This topic has 77 replies, 37 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Jamie.
Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Comedy customer service exchange with Evans (Arkose content)
  • jameso

Threads can move faster than a few calls can be made but we’ll sort it OP, no probs.

finbar
    Free Member

Hurrah! Thanks very much – presumably – to Jameso for having a word 🙂

Hi Adam

Thank you for your email

Following a conversation with one of the Pinnacle guys in Head office, He has suggested that you send the bike into us for a warranty claim. We will then send you a new frame.

Quickest way to do this, is by taking into a store otherwise let us know if you have a bike box or not and we arrange a collection.

jameso

They’re processing it as discussed yesterday, from what I can see from the emails there wasn’t any mention of not being a warranty but I can see where it got confused. I’m not sure if we have any 2013-14 frames left here now so it may be a case of getting a new Arkose 4 frame when they land in a few weeks.

presumably – to Jameso for having a word

Actually all I did was raise this thread .. they were processing as a warranty yesterday and had got the pictures, if the suggestion of a larger post was taken as a ‘no it’s not warranty’ then that wasn’t intended.

Slogo
    Free Member

Actually all I did was raise this thread .. they were processing as a warranty yesterday and had got the pictures, if the suggestion of a larger post was taken as a ‘no it’s not warranty’ then that wasn’t intended.

Sounds more like Andy from Evans tried to fob you off. He clearly doesn’t know what he’s doing. Nothing was done about it until they got a call/email from pinnacle!

Added to the list, Never buying from Evans!

finbar
    Free Member

Okay, brill, thanks a lot Jameso. This does mean commuting on my lovely carbon bike for a bit longer. My poor Zondas… However if that means I happen to get the new frame with internal gear cable routing it’s all good.

winston
    Free Member

Clearly a fob off. Why on earth would Andy keep pointing OP to those crappy seatposts

finbar
    Free Member

P.s. The confusion (and hence, me posting this thread) arose as follows. I didn’t include this in my OP as it would have been a very, very long post…

Here is the first email I sent to Evans yesterday:

Hi,

A couple of months ago I ordered a Pinnacle Arkose frame from you (see order below), which I’ve just got round to starting to build up. Much to my dismay, the seattube appears to be badly reamed – I’ve tried two 27.2mm Thomsons and a USE Sumo post, and all of them have a considerable gap between the post and the frame tube – more than a coke can shim can take up.

I’d really like to keep the frame, as I’ve ordered various parts to fit it, installed the headset and bottom bracket, and even cut the steerer on a set of carbon forks to fit. However, I can’t see a way around this seat post problem. Please can you offer a solution?

Thanks a lot,

Adam

I got this response from Sam:

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your email

I am sorry to say if there is a defect within the seat-tube of the frame this is a problem that is almost impossible to fix.

There are various mays that this could be bodged to work but with a new frame nobody wants to have to bodge it to make things work.

As such I feel on this occasion the only option would be for us to get the frame back with a view to replacing this under warranty.

Can you confirm if you have a store nearby you could drop the frame into or if you would need that collected please?
    If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Sam Bristow

Happy days! Aren’t Evans brilliant? I emailed Sam my address, and got the following response from Jack:

Hi Adam

Thank you for your email

I have spoken with our warranty department and before we can look into exchanging the frame for you we will need some clearly detailed photos of the issues you are having with the frame. This will help us to get the ball rolling with the warranty procedures.

Could you also include a phot of the entire frame as well as the serial number on the bb shell.

Also could you please confirm whether you have been using a seat post clamp as there will be play until the seat post clamp is tightened.

Once we have received these photos we will let you know of the next stages regarding the warranty.

Kind Regards

Jack

Okay, that makes sense. So I sent some photos and a video. Then, to square the circle with this thread, this morning I got the email from Andy:

Hi

Thank you for your email

I’ve looked at your video, and you are right the 27.2mm seat post is too small, have you thought about trying a 27.4 or a 28mm.

Here is a link to a seat post with these measurements. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/vavert/single-bolt-400mm-seatpost-ec039090

Kind Regards

Andy
    Evans Cycles

I think the lesson here is that Evans need to assign specific people to specific cases.

winston
    Free Member

Ahaaaa – not such a CS fail after all then

winston
    Free Member

Moral: Don’t cut the steerer till EVERYTHING else is sorted!

jameso

Clearly a fob off.

Once a warranty is mentioned and photos and frame numbers are requested and sent, as they have been here, it’ll be followed with either a ‘yes’ or ‘no, this is why’. Unless I’m mistaken (OP?) it hadn’t got to that stage. You could take it as a fob-off or see it as misplaced advice, but since no-one from warranty had replied either way yet and the decision and process lies with warranty it wasn’t an answer either way.

.. posted while others were posting .. yes, specific people to one case/enquiry would be good, agreed, it could slow things up but would offer better continuity.

toby1

You should also probably buy jameso a pint, he deserves a pint for all the work he has done on here and for the fact that a good percentage of us really want to buy the bikes he is making!

Jamie
    Free Member

Seems the OP should really have put all the info in his first post.

Does make things look much worse than they were.

jamj1974

scaredypants

seems to me the last email was a guy trying to help you achieve your stated aim:

I’d really like to keep the frame

ampthill

I nearly posted that the advice to try a different size seat post might have been thinking of an option as to how you could keep that particular frame

Any way all’s well that ends well

Hicksy
    Free Member

I think it was a bit unfair of the OP not to disclose all the emails at the beginning, particularly given the thread title. Looks like a case of misunderstanding really.

winston
    Free Member

I feel used

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

So Jack and Sam @ Evans are cool.
    Andy isn’t so much.
    James @ Pinnacle is cool.
    OP hid the truth from us temporarily so we’d all jump on the “we all hate Evans bandwagon”. OP is definitely not cool but has a new frame on its way.

As per winston, I feel used and dirty. I’m going to cry in the shower with my clothes on.

Earl
    Free Member

I support OP on this one. He did what Evans CS requested. Evans should have assessed the frame properly. If concluding that it was a warranty replacement they should have contacted Pinnacle to see if they could get a replacement frame.

If no stock was avail, then suggesting a 27.4 seatpost should have been last resort suggestion if the OP insisted he still wanted it.

crankboy
    Free Member

“I’d really like to keep the frame” sort of explains why Evans were suggesting solutions other than a replacement.

sv

Why did I sell my Arkose, sigh…

finbar
    Free Member

Seems the OP should really have put all the info in his first post.

Does make things look much worse than they were.

I think it was a bit unfair of the OP not to disclose all the emails at the beginning, particularly given the thread title. Looks like a case of misunderstanding really.

I’m going to disagree here. I didn’t have multiple conversations going on with Jack, Sam and Andy – it was one email chain. And I interpreted the situation as Evans changing their stance from:

1. (yesterday) the frame is faulty, an exchange will be no problem; to
    2. (today) the frame is fine, you don’t understand how seatpost sizing works and you should try buying a load of different size posts to find one that might fit instead.

Which I thought was pretty comically bad customer service, hence the thread. There was no intention on my part to portray the situation as being worse than it actually is.

Anyway, all is clear with Evans now. Fingers crossed I’ll get a frame that is fit for purpose sooner rather than later.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

& after all that I’d still never use Evans.

Slogo
    Free Member

Im going to take my previous statement back after the OP did not tell all.

All Adam tried to do was help, as you wanted to keep the frame. He did what he thought was right and offered you an outcome/solution. thus keeping your frame.

Who cuts the steerer before even riding the bike…..

You already had the warranty going though.

I think next time you should be so quick to pick up the pitch fork.

Jamie
    Free Member

Booo! OP, Booo!

…and no I’m not saying Boo-urns!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C10bE4yGPMw[/video]

finbar
    Free Member

You already had the warranty going though.

No, I didn’t. Once I’d sent the photos and video confirming the problem the only responses I got were the ones from Andy suggesting I buy random size seat posts to find one that fits.

And this is still part of the exchange is still quite funny in my opinion:

Hi
    Thank you for your email

I’ve looked at your video, and you are right the 27.2mm seat post is too small, have you thought about trying a 27.4 or a 28mm.

Here is a link to a seat post with these measurements. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/vavert/single-bolt-400mm-seatpost-ec039090

Kind Regards

Andy
    Evans Cycles

Andy,
    Thanks for your response. However, I have several problems with it:

1. I don’t want a “Vavert” seatpost, and with the exception of Thomson I’m not sure any other brands make seatposts in 27.4mm or 28.0mm sizes (and you don’t even stock Thomson in those sizes);

2. How can I be sure a 27.4mm or 28.0mm seatpost will fit? What if it’s 27.3mm, or 27.5mm? I’m not willing to buy three or four different posts to find one that *might* fit.

3, MOST IMPORTANTLY, as I stated in my original email, the seattube is clearly badly reamed. This frame isn’t supposed to take a 27.4mm or 28.0mm seatpost, it’s supposed to take a 27.2mm one. And that doesn’t fit. The frame is therefore clearly defective.

I trust you will reply with a more reasonable solution promptly.

Kind regards,

Adam

Hi
    Thank you for your email

As previously mentioned, I suggest you look at a larger diameter seat post available from the Vavert range.

Kind Regards

Andy
    Evans Cycles
    http://www.evanscycles.com

However, if this is genuinely a sensible customer service response, and I’m just being unreasonable, then I apologise to everyone and you have carte blanche to get the pitchforks out.

simondbarnes

the only responses I got were the ones from Andy suggesting I buy random size seat posts to find one that fits.

Well given that you’d asked for a solution as you’d rather keep the frame then that’s not a completely ridiculous reply. I think you have unfairly maligned Evans.

finbar
    Free Member

Well given that you’d asked for a solution as you’d rather keep the frame then that’s not a completely ridiculous reply. I think you have unfairly maligned Evans.

But that suggestion came after they’d initially acknowledged there was a fault with the frame and would replace it.

I’m not a bike expert – I don’t, for example, work for a national chain of bike shops – but if such an expert tells me a frame I’ve bought is faulty and they will replace it with one that isn’t, then when I try and arrange that another expert suggests that instead I should spend my own money attempting to solve the problem with a solution that might not work, well… that’s not an appealing proposition in my book.

Hicksy
    Free Member

Out of interest OP – did Evans suggest you to disclose the other emails to us?

finbar
    Free Member

Out of interest OP – did Evans suggest you to disclose the other emails to us?

No, I just thought on balance I should tell the whole story. If it turns out that that makes me look like an unreasonable tit, then fair enough and apologies all round 😳

In my first post I did say that the email I quoted from Evans was the latest part of our exchange.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Sits on fence with pitchfork deciding who to attack

its more than likely the OP as you were deceptive over the e-mail chain and they seem to be offering solutions so you can keep the frame as their initial response – never retracted – was to offer warranty.

If you say I dont want to try seatposts as I want a new frame i expect them ot say

OK no problems

Hicksy
    Free Member

Fair enough. I think it was the correct thing to do (disclosing the earlier emails).

finbar
    Free Member

Sits on fence with pitchfork deciding who to attack

its more than likely the OP as you were deceptive over the e-mail chain and they seem to be offering solutions so you can keep the frame as their initial response – never retracted – was to offer warranty.

If you say I dont want to try seatposts as I want a new frame i expect them ot say

OK no problems

Which is basically exactly what they’ve done in the end 😀 . Really going to disagree that I was “deceptive” though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

well you withheld the bit where you said you wanted to keep it and the bit where their initial reply was to accept your warranty claim
    I am not sure how you can think neither of these were pertinent or withholding it was not misleading

Deceptive is too strong a word though , no offence meant and I retract that bit.

aracer
    Free Member

Just a bit of a misunderstanding on both sides IMHO, and I don’t think the OP deliberately attempted to portray it as something it wasn’t by not posting all the e-mails, just that he didn’t realise how it made it look different.

Though everybody seems to be ignoring the most significant thing in this thread – that it’s possible to specify the thickness of a coke can to the nearest thousandth of a mm.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Americans dont use metric

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

me

Jamie
    Free Member

Why is Daniel Craig holding you?

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Comedy customer service exchange with Evans (Arkose content)’ is closed to new replies.