Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Combining garmin maps on sd
  • MSP

Say I buy a 810 with topo maps on an sd card bundle, then at a later date buy street navigation maps for Europe, or maps for another country.

Can I combine them onto 1 sd card.

On my old 705 I bought the maps on dvd, installed them onto my computer and was able to transfer what I wanted onto the unit in any combination. I take it if they are on sd card, there is no copy installed on your computer.

MSP

Anybody on the day shift know?

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

To the best of my knowledge the maps only work on the SD card they were supplied on.
    I have OS maps on SD card that came with my Garmin and tried to move them to a bigger card so I could combine them with OSM maps of some European countries – it didn’t work! I just had to accept that I would need two cards.

MSP

Yeah, just been doing a bit more google research, looks like it isn’t possible. Kind of kills the point of the deals that come with maps for me. I at least want to combine European navigator and German maps onto one card, and later in the year will be doing tours that be criss crossing German/French/Austrian borders. I don’t want to swapping cards over all the time.

rickmeister

Tried Open StreetMap and get the ones on a new mini SD card… download the ones you need for the Euro trips. ?

andytherocketeer

Thought purchased ones were locked to the card, and purchased downloads are locked to the device? But then I’ve never purchased any.

Not sure if you can add extra .img files to a purchased map SD (mine you certainly can’t since it only understands 1 gmapsupp.img file, but I thought newer ones could understand multiple files?)

I just use that dutch openstreetmap site every so often to generate a new file containing just the tiles local to where I’m going. Depends on the map detail of where you’re going.

MSP

Does auto routing work with open street maps?

andytherocketeer

It can do if you choose routeable maps (I’ve not tried it)
    Usually it’s an option in the download

allthepies
    Free Member

I can create routable Garmin maps from OSM data. What area are you looking for ?

MSP

openstreetmaps sounds worth a play around with, hopefully will save me some money.

andytherocketeer

I think garmin.openstreetmap.nl is the site I use, but last time I accidentally clicked on it from the office I got the warning message from the router telling me not to access Warez sites!

Can check tonight.

Basically lets you choose the tiles you want, and it goes away and makes a custom map for you, and emails you the link when it’s done. Handy for those of use that want cross-border maps without having to swap cards etc. And file sizes can be a few Megs rather than several hundred Megs for a whole country.

cp

I at least want to combine European navigator and German maps onto one card,

Eh? Surely the european navigator maps contain Germany??!

Anyway, I’ve not tried it on a card which has pukka Gamrin map on (my pukka UK OS maps came on a 4gb card, with not enough room for anything else I’ve wanted to put on), but I have another microSD card with a Garmin .IMG european map on and also an open street map .IMG of Spain on.

My Garmin Edge 800 will see both sets of maps on the one card with two IMG files.

cp

fill your boots with Garmin ROUTEABLE maps here (which I’ve used – work great):-

http://mapas.alternativaslibres.es/downloads.php

or here:-

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/Download

MSP

Eh? Surely the european navigator maps contain Germany??!

The navigator maps don’t contain the topographical data for going off road.

cp

sorry, missed that! Have you used the Garmin Topo maps before?

andytherocketeer

http://mapas.alternativaslibres.es/downloads.php looks handy for one click for one country, instant download.

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ seems to be all routeable now. Better support for cross-border maps (essential for many of my trips), and ones limited to local areas. But since it generate the map on request, it takes a few hours.

Whole of Germany is 1300-1500 megs, and my card is only a 1gig card!
    Just the local tiles fit in 25-30meg.

cp

A new micro SD card is only a few quid!

andytherocketeer

Yeah, I could have one 2/4gig card each for UK, Germany, France, Italy, then use the 1gig for Austria, and a handful of smaller cards for Luxembourg, Switzerland, etc.

All EU won’t fit a 4gig card (max my Garmin will accept). New eTrex and an 32gig card is more than a few quid (but is certainly an option)

Or 1 card and have just the local-ish bits of maps I need.

If I’m not riding locally, or on holiday in Scotland, then 80% of my trips would be cross border. Some might be swappable at hotel overnight, others mid way thru a day’s ride, and others might be covered by 1 tile overlapping the border.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Combining garmin maps on sd’ is closed to new replies.