Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Combi boiler is dead/dying (I think) – How much for a new one fitted?
  • slackman99
    Free Member

Evening all,

Looks like our combi boiler may be dead or dying. Been making some odd noises for a little while (banging when heating or hot water come on) and today it seems to have finally given in. Hot tap running cold, temperature indicator on boiler up to 135deg and then drops down to 50deg (cycles through this but hot water is still cold). Pressure gauge jumps up to red line accompanied by a knocking noise and then drops back down to ‘safe’ level. I’ve now turned it off and hope the weather this week doesn’t turn too cold. Shower is electric so can at least keep relatively clean.

Need to get a plumber in to assess if it can be repaired or if it needs a whole new boiler.

WHat sort of cost am I looking at for a new gas fired combi for hot water and heating. House is a 3 bed semi and not massive.

Not really needed 2 weeks after getting married as that cost a fair bit of the savings!

wrightyson
    Free Member

I can get you a good combi fitted for 1500 quid. However you may not live near me.

slackman99
    Free Member

Where abouts do you live?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mid north ish derbyshire.

slackman99
    Free Member

Northampton so unless someone (you?) fancy a day trip, then too far I would suggest.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Just boil some water in a kettle like Binners does

molgrips
    Free Member

Doubt you’d need a new one. They are quite fixable things generally.

Pressure gauge jumps up to red line accompanied by a knocking noise and then drops back down to ‘safe’ level

I’m not a plumber but that seems to be nothing to do with your boiler, and everything to do with your pipes. Might be a blockage somewhere.

slackman99
    Free Member

Hmmm, it could be a blockage in the pipes, but the knocking noise is coming from the boiler (and isn’t water hammer as best I can tell). There’s also no drop in the flow associated with the change in pressure on the dial.

molgrips
    Free Member

The boiler is just some pipes, a burner, a fan and a controller isn’t it? What’s there to bang in there? Pressure could travel along pipes and then cause the actual knocking inside the boiler without it being anything wrong in there.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Add a grand or two to get one from British Gas. Of course they’ll offer an amazing deal where they’ll pay you for your existing knackered boiler no matter what it is and condition. You’re still paying way over the standard price of course, but will make you feel good getting a “cash back” 😉

iain1775
    Free Member

Wrightyson
    I’m in derby and might be interested in an offer of a cheap boiler 🙂

senorj

The boiler is just some pipes, a burner, a fan and a controller isn’t it? What’s there to bang in there?

There’s also a couple of heat exchangers , which can get full of debris.
    Which caused the banging on ours.Caused by a really stupid drain down by a builder.ggrr.
    Managed to clean heat exchanger and sorted it…

New decent boiler + magflush +mag.filter is £2000-£2500 here…..

mindmap3
    Free Member

We paid about £1,500 for a Gloworm boiler supplied and installed for our house (similar size to yours I’m guessing).

Local plumber recommended by a neighbour.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Ian I can email you my plumbers details. Good bloke and honest old school type.

zbonty

Don’t joke mrsfry, my other half was in labour two weeks ago and I had the hob/kettle at full tilt to get a couple of baths sorted.
    Currently in the market as heat exch/diverted valve/flush + magnatec are £1000 on an 8 year old Saunier Duval combo. All new I’m guessing at 2-2.5k.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Had a nearly new one in a flat we rented “go” – was a circuit board issue – fixed for a few £100

Air in your system ?

We regularly get 15+ years out of our boilers (not combi) – too much of a replacement culture here I think.

iain1775
    Free Member

yes please Wrighty, email in profile

(Not called Simon by any chance is he?)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Combi boiler is dead/dying (I think) – How much for a new one fitted?’ is closed to new replies.