Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Combi boiler installation
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

My in-laws combi boiler has packed in. They’ve been quoted £1800 for a replacement, but that sounds a bit on the steep side to me considering what I’ve been quoted to have my whole CH system replaced and converted from a gravity fed system to mains pressurised. How does that compare to anyone who may have had one fitted recently? It’s a small 3-bed semi, just a straight boiler replacement. Cheers.

alanl
    Free Member

New boiler cost anything from £500 to £1250, a days labour at £250.
    Add on £100 for other parts used during the install, meaning anything from £850 to £1600 would be reasonable.
    I’d expect £1200 or less if it was me, for a mid cost boiler, something like a Glowwrom 24CX.
    Of course, local conditions may influence the total, but £1800 does seem excessive

johndoh
    Free Member

Where do they live? Location does have a bearing on price too. I would say £1800 is on the high side of what was expected though, but of course it also depends on the boiler – you could get one for £600, you could get one for £1200…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s Derby so I don’t think we’re paying a premium here for plumber services. The thing is they’re old and they’re set in their ways and have always used the same plumber and I don’t think he’s doing good jobs for them. He installed this boiler about 10 yrs ago telling them at that time it would only last 10 yrs, but the have had issues with it a few times over the years. it doesn’t look like a decent one either, certainly not a decent and recognisable brand like Gloworm. So on the basis it’s a simple boiler replacement his quote seemed a bit steep, and I’d hazard a guess it won’t be for a decent unit either. Thanks anyway. I think I’ll try to steer them away from this guy.

empireofthefun
    Free Member

I was quoted recently £1600 for a Worcester Bosch fitted for our house..
    Mid size boiler but a quality make, it was £1300 for a non descript make.
    I’m going to go for the Worcester. In Glos by the way
    Thought it was very reasonable

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Just put a Worcester Bosch in, £1200 for the boiler, £250 for fitting.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

So if he’s fitting a top quality boiler they’re probably about £200 over then by the sound of it. Cheers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im sure you could fit boilers all day long at 250 quid ! Get out of the 80s or 90s much ? Not a chance youll get a boiler fitted for 250 quid.

No ones even asked the size of boiler being replaced….

Because of size ours was 2100 for unit only.

Then if he is worth his salt hes probably fitting a magnaclean or similar + flushing out the system – both of which will be required to maintain warrenty on new unit.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

Im sure you could fit boilers all day long at 250 quid ! Get out of the 80s or 90s much ? Not a chance youll get a boiler fitted for 250 quid.

*Checks Bill*

Yep £250

not bad for 5 hours work with a stop for lunch, would have done it my self but wanted it gas safe and registered with Worcester Bosch for my 5 Year Guarantee.

Dont take first quote I had everything from £650 for fitting + Parts down to 2 at £250 Including parts.
    Pipes more or less lined up so only major change was from a 15mm gas supply to a 22 mm. Oh and adding a condensate pipe to the foul stack.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where do you live ? Wales ?

northernmatt

I know quite a few people that would charge £250 for fitting. It wouldn’t include anything other than taking the old one out and putting a new one in. Once you start adding things like magnaclean, RF stats and stuff it takes longer so costs more. The only way it would be £1800 is if they were fitting something like WB 42CDi or Vaillant 937 which they won’t be cos it’s only a 3 bed semi.

If their engineer put a boiler in then told them it’ll only last 10yr and comes back exactly 10yrs later and tells them they need a new one then I’d be looking elsewhere. Unless the old one has packed in catastrophically then it would still be cheaper to get it fixed (depending on the make).

TR – £2100? Oil fired Combi?

Quick edit – Magnaclean not required for warranty it is good to have. Most manufacturers just insist that inhibitor has been used as when they come to check they will sample it and if it’s not in there warranty is void. Most of the time they just try to get out of it by blaming it on an installation error anyway.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye vortex pro 26 – even empty it was a 2 man job to get it into situ.

wwaswas

Our gas pipe to the boiler had to be changed from 15 to 22mm when we had a new one fitted which pushed the price up by about £200.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

Where do you live ? Wales ?

The name should maybe just give a clue. as to why it should cost more how much do plumbers want an hour ?

You dont have to look far clicky

totalshell

in the pleasant borough of Rochdale i fit Worcester 28si as my replacement combi.

for a combi swap i do the 28si ( 5yr warranty) fernox tf1 and RF controls for 1600.

a straight forward conversion to a combi from a vented system roll in for less than 2k

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Combi boiler installation’ is closed to new replies.