• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • .com or .co.uk for a website?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Finally getting around to building my new website so was wondering if I’m better going for a .com or .co.uk domain name?

jam-bo

both.

edit: with a redirect from one to the other.

singletrack.co.uk redirects to singletrack.com

perchypanther
    Free Member

Register both to avoid confusion?

Edit: Tooslow.com or tooslow.co.uk

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What’s the website for?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Don’t forget .uk domains as well. I’ve just registered mine, and it looks tidier than .co.uk on my marketing guff.

stevied
    Free Member

What’s the website for?

3D map sculptures

nickjb
    Free Member

How unique is the name? If it is unlikely to get snapped up by anyone else I’d just go for a .co.uk or .uk as it’ll be cheapest. Then see how it goes. Do check the .com and a few others before registering, though. It can be annoying/embarrassing to end up with an address similar to someone else.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If it’s something that people will find then it probably doesn’t matter. If you want do both, if not do UK and think how often you read the end of a web address.

chipps

I’d go .com as that’s what everyone expects. Then get the .co.uk too as it’s peanuts to buy, even if it just redirects. That’s assuming that all the good names haven’t all gone 🙂
    If you just get the .co.uk then you’ll regret not getting the .com down the line if someone else has it.

soobalias
    Free Member

.co.ck

natch.

toby1

Like sooblias says, only ever register addresses to the Cook islands 😉

monkeychild
    Free Member

And show it off on your dench phone.

chewkw
    Free Member

Or get a high level domain name. May have to pay slightly more.

badnewz
    Free Member

Buy both.

Is your market mainly in the UK? Use the .co.uk and set up a redirect from the .com.

If your market is international then use the .com and set-up country-specific sub-directories with geotargeting.

allthepies
    Free Member

As above, both with a redirect setup so either ends up on your preferred domain.

leffeboy

Both. I have some friends who have set up on one only to have someone with a similar name set up on the other :(. When you are starting up it makes no sense but later it comes back to bite you

Think we have about 10 urls for our site now 🙁

Cougar

If you don’t care then I’d get whatever’s cheapest.

Technically, you should be registering .co.uk for a UK business and .com for a US / international one, so .co.uk is probably more “correct” is this case. I went with .org.uk for my personal domain.

P-Jay
    Free Member

leffeboy – Member

Both. I have some friends who have set up on one only to have someone with a similar name set up on the other :(. When you are starting up it makes no sense but later it comes back to bite you

Think we have about 10 urls for our site now

Yep, our you might find some chancer comes along and grabs a fortune’s worth of advertising for nowt, see:

http://www.topgear.com and http://www.topgear.co.uk for examples –

But if it’s not important to you, for a non-commercial site just grab what’s cheapest, there’s some weird and wonderful ones out their for pennies.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘.com or .co.uk for a website?’ is closed to new replies.