Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Colour printer for infrequent use…
  • zzrmatt
    Free Member

Has anyone got any recommendations for a colour printer that is suitable for infrequent use?

My HP multi purpose thing got through about 6 sets of cartridges in about 400 pages as I only print a batch of pages once a month or two. So it probably cost me a quid a page as the ink was dried up almost every time I used it!

I was considering a colour laser / LED such as Brother HL-3140CW, I assume there is less to dry out in these but I’m happy to be proved wrong 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve got the Brother HL-3140CW and it’s fine. Not fantastic print quality but good enough. £100 from John Lewis including an extended warranty. I’ve always found lasers to be good for infrequent use. I’ve got an old Samsung that I pulled out the loft when my last printer was playing up and it worked just fine.

zzrmatt
    Free Member

Thanks Nick are you still on the original toner? The replacement pack seems a little pricey but hopefully the originals will last me at least a pack of paper!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

Still on the original toner but only had it since last Autumn. That said I’ve generally been happy with toner life and I suspect there will be a cheaper option for replacement toner.

jam-bo

Do it at work like everyone else?

If I need to stuff from home I just go to the library or a local print shop. It’s less hassle and way cheaper..

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Budget colour lasers are generally a bit halftone-y aren’t they?

I’d head to the printshop.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

The brother ones are more economical ink wise in my experience, Epson are the least.
    Infrequent use though can cause the nozzles to get blocked up with dried ink.
    There’s some companies online like IJT Direct for instance who will give you a ‘free’ printer if you buy a few sets of their own brand cartridges.
    It doesn’t have to be expensive.

nickjb
    Free Member

Don’t think I’d want to head to the print shop whenever I wanted a map for a ride, or plane/theatre/gig tickets, or posting documents, or loads of other things. Quality is not a big issue, though the brother is fine and at £100 hardly a big expense. Still easy to pop into town if I want photos.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Aaah – for a map etc it’d be fine 🙂

zzrmatt
    Free Member

Do it at work like everyone else?
    If I need to stuff from home I just go to the library or a local print shop. It’s less hassle and way cheaper..

Bit of a bind and quite expensive having to do a 30 minute drive each way to the local library, print shop or the office every time I need to print something. 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yes, sure, but you did say infrequent!

Anyway, sounds like the the Brother might be a good call in that case.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Colour printer for infrequent use…’ is closed to new replies.