Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Colne Valley MTB Challenge 2014
  • TheSanityAssassin

Entries are are now being encouraged for the 11th annual Colne Valley Mountain Bike Challenge, taking place this year on Sunday 11th May 2014 at 9.00am.

The course is a challenging one (as you’d expect) and consists of approx. 30 miles of local paths, tracks, bridleways and lanes around the picturesque Colne Valley area of Huddersfield – regularly featured on TV as settings for Last Of The Summer Wine and Where The Heart Is.

The cost of entry is £17 pre-booked (entry forms available at http://www.cvmbc.co.uk ) and £22 on the day – although we do encourage pre-booking as it greatly assists the organisation of the event.

All participants will receive a free commemorative T-Shirt and certificate upon completion. The course will be fully marshalled throughout and will have 4 refreshment stops at designated points. There will also be a back-up vehicle available for anyone who wishes to (or is forced to!!) retire early.

Bacon Butties will be on sale beforehand at a nominal £1.00 each, but apart from these EVERYTHING ELSE refreshment wise (soup, bread, bananas, flap-jack, biscuits, coffee, tea etc etc) is FREE. Yes FREE. There is also a brilliant little pub – The Walkers Arms – situated on site, so those that wish to can partake of a pint (or two) if so desired.

So, to sum it up – it’s a 30 mile challenging MTB ride, fully marshalled, fully ‘catered’ and absolutely FANTASTIC VALUE, with a pub on site to finish the day off as well. You won’t find a better day out in this area on the 11th May. Come and give it a go – you’ve nothing to lose and we’re absolutely certain that you’ll be well looked after and have a great time.

If you’ve entered before, then the chances are you’ll have already received an entry form in the post – as I spent most of the afternoon last Friday franking and posting nearly 1400 of them!

TheSanityAssassin

Bump for the weekday crowd.

binners

Hmmmmm …. the obvious question, as a fat bloke… will I die?

TheSanityAssassin

No fat blokes have died during this event.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

May be able to help out Johnny…

Not up to riding it sadly.

funkrodent

Given that the answer is specifically no “fat” blokes have died during this, can I take this to mean that blokes of other body types have expired in previous years?

That being so, what’s the prognosis like for tall, ever-so-slightly-overweight blokes with dodgy backs?

Carnage I reckon.

Anyway, looks interesting and reckon that I’d be minded to enter.

TheSanityAssassin

Some help on the day would be a massive help Nick, and very much appreciated. If you can get over the night before we’ll be having the traditional pre-event curry too. Accommodation at chez Ludders if necessary, mate.

daleman
    Free Member

How dose this compare with mary towny loop, how much climbing.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you need to ask…

Doubt I’ll make it this year, but I will return one day!

ricky1
    Free Member

Sounds good,wouldn’t mind a go,are there still places?

TheSanityAssassin

We never put a limit on entries, so if you want to ride then you’re riding! All we ask is that you pre-enter so we have a better idea on numbers to cater for. You’ll also definitely get a t-shirt in the size you require as we order them one-for-one as you enter.

sefton
    Free Member

good event this guys! trying to round up a few club members

TheSanityAssassin

Cheers Sefton, much appreciated fella.

binners

I’ve rounded up another couple of idiots candidates. I may be the first fat bloke to die 😀

alexpalacefan

No on-line entry = no advance entry. Sorry.

May see you on the day.

APF

ricky1
    Free Member

So I print the form off and send it in?

ricky1
    Free Member

My printer won’t print properly,I’m rubbish with technology 🙁

TheSanityAssassin

Yes Ricky. Print it off, fill it in, stick it in an envelope along with a cheque for £17 and a SAE envelope and bung it in the post. I’ll do the necessaries when I receive it, and you’ll get your entry number, some directions and a route map by return. Then all you need to do is turn up in time on the right day, with your bike and a lid, and have a fantastic time.

MrSparkle

No doubt I’ll be there again, trundling the singlespeed round. Hopefully bringing some of the Darwen Contingent with me.
    For the undecided – this is a cracking event. Do it.

TheSanityAssassin

Cheers Simon, the more the merrier.

TheSanityAssassin

This year we’ve introduced an additional shorter route option, which cuts out some of the epic ascents, to encourage more entries. This option is 20 miles long, as opposed to the full 30 mile route. If you’re a relative beginner, coming back from illness/injury, worried that you won’t manage the full distance, your ‘other half’ is riding and you aren’t quite so quick, your son/daughter would like a go but the full route is too far, or for any other reason that you’d like to take part and 30 miles is too much, then please come along and give the shorter option a go. It’s a great day out if you’re travelling from further afield and a fantastic introduction to organised events with no pressure.

binners

I may not die after all then? 🙂 reckon I’ll still go for the 30

There’s a few of us. Is there any way we can enter without a cheque? I can’t remember the last time I saw a chequebook? It must be at least a decade. We could always do it on the day, but it’d be good to get it out of the way in advance

darrenspink
    Free Member

Sent the form off yesterday, should be good.

TheSanityAssassin

Binners – you could stick all the entry forms in the one envelope, sort out one cheque between you for all the fees and one SAE for the confirmation returns? We’ll have an online entry facility for next year, but our web-man is currently battling a long-term illness and the treatment is rather debilitating.

Darren – your confirmation is already in the return post, mate.

PLEASE don’t forget your SAEs – like a certain un-named, Darwen-based singlespeeder managed to… 🙄 😀

ricky1
    Free Member

Is it to late to send my entry off???

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Colne Valley MTB Challenge 2014’ is closed to new replies.