• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by ton.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Colnago Master, Rourkes etc etc
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Looking to put a bike together later this year to just ride on.
    I did want a Master just coz it was a Colnago. However I’ve been looking at Rourkes site and I’m interested in a build based on what I have with a few tweeks.
    I don’t intend to race it, I’ll keep my old Spesh for that. I’ve no intention to do Audax or sportives on it either, just long all year round UK rides.
    So who else is there to consider? I don’t need to spend over a grand, it has to be race orientated and well proven.
    Collecting Shimano gear now, got some bargain Ultegra 10 speed wheels, and an old Dura Ace chainset that’ll need new rings for the 10 speed set up.
    Anyway first hand experiences welcome.

mrmo
    Free Member

I am guessing if you are looking at Masters your looking at steel? don’t know if there are any left but i like my Lemond Croix de Fer. If you have the money Pegoretti are nice.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yes steel, I find my race bike ok for a 30-50 mile race but it’s not comfortable. And as this is for plain riding I want to sacrifice weight for comfort.
    I did want the Lemond Croix De Fer but I could’nt find a UK supplier back then.

crikey
    Free Member

My prejudice is to think that the material is far less important than the set-up, and there is no need to sacrifice weight for comfort.
    If I were you, and admittedly I’m not, I would be looking for a carbon wonder machine to potter about on.
    If you really want steel, then carry on, but otherwise, I’d be opening my mind to the possibility of carbon….
    …then I’d buy on of these as a complete bike or try to find a frame;

Trust me, ladies will love you even more, and old ladies will wave as you pass by.

mrmo
    Free Member

To give an idea of Weight, Lemond Platinum OX frame, carbon forks, Open Pros on Centaur 32hole DB spokes, Vredestein Fortezza tyres, Chorus, Centaur, Veloce mix groupset (mainly Veloce) old dual pivot Veloce brakes, , Bontrager Bars and Setpost, Pro stem, Fizik Pave saddle, Time pedals, bottle cages, computer, No attempt to save weight has been made. Apart from the Fork there is no carbon.

it is a 57cm and total weight is 20lbs. It will never be as light as a top end carbon or alu frame, but for a do anything without worrying about it getting a few knocks i don’t think you can go wrong. If i want i can save a couple of pounds, a few carbon bits, a set of Mon chasserals, etc

Where it wins, is it is comfortable and it has a certain classic look to it. If i hadn’t of got it as a warranty replacement i would have had a look at a Master, Pegoretti, Gios, Bianchi, they all did/do nice classic looking steel frames. The alternative would be Rouke or Argos, etc and get something made. Problem would then be i would have had to think about the paint job!

aP
    Free Member

You know you really want a EPS don’t you.

ton

while we are on the subject of road bikes please give me some advice.
    i am going to the pyrenees in a month for a week.
    i was gonna take my galaxy tourer, but it weights a ton, like me.
    i need a new road type bike, i have a grand to spend, i want it to ride audax rides up to 200km with.
    HELP ME.
    sorry for the hijack.

gingerflash

Ton – have a look at Ribble. They have a full carbon “Sportive racing” starting at £899, with, I think, 105 parts. The Ultegra bike is just over a grand I think.

The Focus Cayo 105 at Wiggle looks great for £989 too.

crikey
    Free Member

Ton! You’ve left it a bit late! Takes a month or so to get the old position dialled in.

If you are a little bit of a nutritional over acheiver, best to go for something with a triple, you’ll never regret having too low a gear, otherwise look at Treks or Speshes or whatever you can try out.

oldgit
    Free Member

If I went carbon I’d just buy a cheapo Planet X or similar. But I’m really liking the idea of the fact I could get all the little tweeks built into a custom frame.
    But it’s the ride of steel I like, specialy when cadence, pulse and average speed are of no concern.
    The paint jobs no problem mrmo, dark metalic blue/ dark green metalic fade.

GJP
    Free Member

Why not take a look at enigmabikes.com. They have two steel models the elite and the ethos. One a race bike and one more oriented to touring with a slightly heavier Columbus Life rather than Spirt tubes.

They will certainly tweak it as much as you want. A friend got one with frame couplings.

Otherwise I think the bikes on the Rourke gallery look great but many I suspect are the 953 models.

b1galus
    Free Member

ton i did the pyrennees on my old claude butler tourer albeit with a dura ace / xtr mix of components and being a fat biffer i thought i would die, surprisingly i didn’t but i did average 80 miles a day on my way there

oldgit i’d look at mercian and my de rosa neo primato is pretty damn good

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for a more comfortable road machine.Maybe steel,but have been eyeing up a few of the On-one titanium machines.Made by Lynskey and just over a grand? I fancy the sportif.Maybe the new one if you want something more racey.Other than that theres a lovely Rtchey road frame on Ebay USA finishing in the next day or so.
    Thanx Max

ton

think i might have found something i like….the grey one

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/tifosi-ck7-audax09-zoom.jpg

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Colnago Master, Rourkes etc etc’ is closed to new replies.