Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Collision with car – need some advice…
  • pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

So, my girlfriend was on her bike last week and knocked a car wing mirror. She stopped and gave the guy her name & phone number. She thought that she just knocked the mirror glass out of alignment slightly, the glass didn’t break and the plastic casing didn’t move. Unfortunately she didn’t take any photos at the time, but thought that the driver had.

The driver has now sent her a couple of texts, asking for £650 for a new casing and a replacement mirror motor. She has asked for the photos that she thought the driver took at the time, but he has said that he didn’t take any. Obviously we won’t be handing over any money until we at least see a quote from a garage and some photos of the damage, but is there anything else we should be doing to avoid getting scammed?

There seems to be a lot of advice out there for cyclists who have been hit, but not much for ones who have damaged a car. What’s the best thing to do? And for future reference is it best to take out some sort of third party insurance, so there is at least a formal route to go through? Or just pay up?

Cougar

I think I’d be referring him to the case of Arkell v. Pressdram myself. It’s one thing wanting to do the right thing, another to have your pants pulled down for £650. The last time I replaced an electric door mirror it was about £100 all in.

At the very least I’d want evidence of the damage for the housing, and as far as the mirror goes I’d be inclined to say “prove it.” For all you know it’s been broken for years and he’s suddenly got an excuse to have it fixed. In fact, for all you know, it’s not broken.

whimbrel
    Free Member

Last year a lorry took my wing mirror clean off . Full unit – motor, glass, casing [+ spray painting to match bodywork], plus fitting [main dealer] – came to just over £300. Lorry driver paid up fortunately.

ninfan
    Free Member

Tell him that you’re happy to deal with his insurance company when they contact you.

I’m sure that he will have contacted them to report it, of course…

bruneep
    pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Tell him that you’re happy to deal with his insurance company when they contact you.

I’m sure that he will have contacted them to report it, of course…

That is what I was thinking of as the most reasonable course of action

Presumably the danger there, is that if there is any real damage, you just end up paying for the damage + the insurance companies costs?

PePPeR

You’ll probably find you’ll be covered under your household insurance, (if you have any)!

nastybuller
    Free Member

Play the long game, if he’s trying to con you and there’s minmal damage he’ll probs move on with his life and forget it. if you have caused damage then arrange to meet the guy somewhere (not at your address) so that you can look at the damage and check for yourself whether or not the electrics are damaged. If your girlfriend is there too she’ll see if it’s worse than it was when she hit the wing mirror. If the damage is what he says it is then go online and get quotes for yourself to see if he’s trying to milk it or if his price is in fact true.
    If it turns out he’s trying to con you then don’t give him anything and just tell him to go through the courts if he wants all that money.
    That amount of coin for a mirror is pretty pricey. What car did he have? A Porsche?

allthepies
    Free Member

It would be tempting to add his phone number to your girlfriends “ignore” list on her mobile 🙂

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Car was a Mercedes, not sure what model. £650 does seem excessive, but I guess there’s a chance that a garage might try and charge that, especially in central London.

Ignoring him would be the easiest option, but don’t really want to do that in case it is genuine. He’s meant to be sending some pictures and the quote through, so we’ll see what turns up.

large418
    Free Member

Get your own quote and compare to his. That way you will know if you are being ripped off. If you are, tell him and for taking the pee he can sort it out himself.

samuri
    Free Member

Definitely insurance company for that sort of money. Check your home insurance covers liability and then leave them to it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if it is genuine – personally I would want the car that comes wiht the wing mirror for that price- then its household insurance time

i would want proof of the damage and i would also sent a letter contesting that there was any external damage at the time and I would ask ho wyou break the motor as well

FWIW a car – well I assume car – hit mine when parked broke the outside off shattered the glass in 6 places and the motor still worked- still does actually

I cannot see how a slight bump with a human causes this

i would be tempted to deny all liability and blame them as they started the BS

irc

And for future reference is it best to take out some sort of third party insurance, so there is at least a formal route to go through?

If not covered by household insurance then CTC membership includes 3rd part cover as do British Cycling.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/member-benefits/%C2%A310m-3rd-party-insurance-cover

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/ride

aracer
    Free Member

If you have household insurance you will be.

hora
    Free Member

Ask for a pic. If one isn’t forthcoming within the sameday then he gets nothing. It’ll be easy for him to step outside take then text or email. Its one of those things/situations that you are not ‘too busy’ to do.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound that excessive. My wife broke a bit of plastic on the back of our BMW wing mirror. It cost £110 for the piece of plastic then they wanted £50 to snap it back on.

She must have fair whacked it though to do that much damage.

Ask to see a report from a merc dealer for the cost of repair. Until then don’t give any money.

hora
    Free Member

Tbh I’d say ‘I’m coming down today to see/inspect first’. If he becomes evasive and/or angry at this you have your answer.

tonyg2003

£650 seems unlikely and possibly a scam. I’d want to see a quote however if you go to a Mercedes main dealer then it could be. Wing mirrors for some cars are complex things with motors, heating elements, integrated indicators, dipping for headlights, lane departure warning sensors, camera’s etc….

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The price for the mirror seems reasonable to me. Mrs PPs uncle had a Merc (big estate) and when they knocked their own mirror off it was closer to a grand!
    That said, I reckon he’s trying it on.

jota180
    Free Member

As above, I don’t think the price quoted is unbelievable for a full mirror, I recently had to sign off a new mirror for a VW Tuareg and that was nearly £800 by the time it’d been painted.
    But I’d lay short odds he’s trying it on re needing a whole new unit.

user-removed
    Free Member

closer to a grand!
    That said, I reckon he’s trying it on.

???! So, yes it’s a cheap repair, or no, it’s a scam?

martinhutch

That is a viable replacement cost for a Merc wing mirror. There’s no way for you to tell at this point whether she has written it off by knackering some of the internals, even if the damage seemed quite slight at the tiem.

I suppose you could reduce the likelihood of scamming by telling him you’ll pay once you see a receipt from a Merc dealer for the work.

hora
    Free Member

Itll be a backstreet receipt ..

martinhutch

I wouldn’t pay a backstreet receipt for that amount. Dealer or nowt. At least you know both of you are getting ripped off then, not just you.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Collision with car – need some advice…’ is closed to new replies.