Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • College Project
  • PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

Hi, I am a mountain biker from the surrey hills and I am trying to make a cycle maintenance unit. This should be able to hold the bike in a way that makes it easy to do any maintenance job that you may require at home. I am thinking of something on the lines of this stand but instead of having a bottom bike, have storage of equipment and tools for maintenance. It needs to be designed in a way that you can access all around the bike to make it easy to work on. Any advice, ideas or responses to the following questions would be much appreciated. thanks

From a cycle storage and maintenance unit, how important is it to access all around the bike? is it important to get all around the bike at once or is it ok to only access one side and turn the bike round

How much tool storage space would you require/ what tools would you need storage for in a maintenance unit? in other words enough for larger items such as a pump or spare parts or just room for basic tools such as Alan keys and spanners

Does the bike need to be upright or can it be upside down/why? Which is easier to work on? Should it be able to do both? Are there any jobs which are easier with the bike being one way up as opposed to the other?

Should the bike be fixed on or not onto the stand? is it important that the bike should be rigidly fixed on or would it be useful if the bike could be moved easier

Are there any features that you can think of that could be put into the product? Anything that may be of use or you may want when repairing. Something to get it on easily. Anything to make it more user friendly

How regularly would you use it? Either for storage or maintenance. E.g. after every ride. Only for storage or only for maintenance

How much would you price such a unit at?

Do you have any further comments or ideas?

Thanks

p.s by doing this you are not doing my coursework!

philconsequence
    Free Member

sounds a good idea….. maybe do some research into the variety or workstands available on CRC/wiggle etc and look at the features and additional thigns you can slip on to hold tools and such.

if it helps: drinks holder to put your beer can or mug of tea in please.

stew1982
    Free Member

how about a tool cabinet and stand in one? something that is telescopic and adaptable would be good.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not that high, a bike stand would be pretty useless if the bike bars are above eye level really, and tools that low would annoy me.

I prefer a bike workstand with 360deg access in the middle of the garrage, and store the bike elswhere. Tools live either in a toolbox on the bench, in a drawer or on the wall. Big stuff lives on the floor (pumps etc).

I paid:

£30 for a workstand
    £10 for a tool bag
    £free old kitchen units and worktop.
    £6 big hooks to hold the bike up on the wall

geoffj

From a cycle storage and maintenance unit, how important is it to access all around the bike? is it important to get all around the bike at once or is it ok to only access one side and turn the bike round

Unless you are a pro racer who has 2 mechanics working on a bike at one time, I can't see the advantage of being able to work on both sides of the bike at the same time.

How much tool storage space would you require/ what tools would you need storage for in a maintenance unit? in other words enough for larger items such as a pump or spare parts or just room for basic tools such as Alan keys and spanners

Just basic tools – magnetic tray usually does the trick.

Does the bike need to be upright or can it be upside down/why? Which is easier to work on? Should it be able to do both? Are there any jobs which are easier with the bike being one way up as opposed to the other?

Upright, except for refitting wheels, which I always do with the bike upside down, in the stand or on the floor.

Should the bike be fixed on or not onto the stand? is it important that the bike should be rigidly fixed on or would it be useful if the bike could be moved easier

Stability is the key here, it needs to be held securely.

Are there any features that you can think of that could be put into the product? Anything that may be of use or you may want when repairing. Something to get it on easily. Anything to make it more user friendly

The bit I struggle with is attaching the bike, fastening the clamp and getting it at the right angle in the stand. Simpler to operate clamps, could make life a bit easier.

How regularly would you use it? Either for storage or maintenance. E.g. after every ride. Only for storage or only for maintenance

Just for maintenance, bikes are strategically mated together in an interweave of steel and ally tubes for storage.

How much would you price such a unit at?
    100-150 if it was very good.

Get the clamps right and make sure its stable. I wouldn't concern myself with the tool storage angle.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

thanks for the replies so far some great points and ideas – especially the drinks idea!

cupra
    Free Member

Speaking as someone who does a lot of cycle maintenance a stand that would allow me to get access to both sides would be superb i.e. could it be held from above rather than the side? And I'd need to be able to turn the pedals. But I wouldn't bother with tool storage on it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

WRT the access from both side point, and getting the bike at the right angle, I've got a stand that cups the BB and clamps the downtube, holds it much steadier than the folding ones that look like workshop stands, and allows me to walk arround it.

Acces to all sides is an essential IMO, having to take the bike down to get at the other crank or reaching arround to get at the bleed nipple on the brakes would be a ball-ache if the bike had to be taken off the stand each time!

gothandy

Take a look at the latest magazine (Single Track that is) they review work stands in there, might be a few ideas about what works and what is considered a faff.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘College Project’ is closed to new replies.