Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Collective Wisdom Required – Car Trouble
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

So i’m out in the car today, been sitting in traffic for about 20 minutes not going anywhere. All of a sudden, engine just stops.

No shudder, no noise, no whimper or shake, just stops……try to start again, won’t start.

Push it for about 100 yards, try the engine again, starts on the first turn.

Drive about 20 yards, pull up behinds some stationary traffic, runs ok for another 5 minutes……then stops.

Push it off the road, starts after about 5 minutes, able to drive it to a road end to get it off the main road, sits ticking over for about 10 minutes no problems. Switch off engine, after an hour, starts up no problem, run it for another 10 minutes, all is well. 2 hours later (AA haven’t shown) start it up, drive it into a car park to leave it there and accept lift home, subsequent fannying around in snow for 10 minutes and there’s no problems.

Really scratching my head on this one (and yes there was fuel in it)

saladdodger
    Free Member

What car is it

adscatt
    Free Member

Sounds like a power supply relay issue, one of the solder connections inside can crack & open up when warm, then when it cools it will work again until it gets too hot, then, you get the picture

BobaFatt
    Free Member

VW Bora

jam-bo

I replaced the ECU relay in my mk3 golf after a similar episode of random cutting out and then restarting five to ten minutes later.

cost £15, hasn’t missed a beat since.

adscatt
    Free Member

I would put money on it being the relay then, can’t remember what number relay it is either 109 or 30 something.

mtbfix

Does sound very much like a minor electrical issue. Our Volvo was very hit and miss with starting so eventually had to get a guy out to look at it. He rooted around under the engine for a few mins and had the problem licked. Starter motor power supply had come loose. My sense of manliness took a hit.

I was told 4hrs for a home start this morning at 09.30 after taking 20mins to get through to the AA. Got my truck going 3hrs later, then spent another 20mins waiting to cancel.

Broke down later on and after eventually getting through told a 9hr wait (midnight). Just waiting a call back to see how long they’ll be.

Mine ran, then stopped, then ran, then lost power, then engine warning light – it’s a diesel, which may have been frozen due to temps, but should have been ok in the middle of the day, so I dunno.

vim_fuego
    Free Member

Theartistwhateveryournameis
    you should have bought an LDV Pilot, mine never missed a beat.
    Have fun…

Kunstler

Was it feeling underpowered? I had similar with my Laguna a couple of months back. It was only running on two cylinders and had no acceleration. I had coils and plugs replaced but still the same problem. It turned out to be the ECU (computer that controls the engine) which had to be reconditioned. Cost a small fortune but it runs fine now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Collective Wisdom Required – Car Trouble’ is closed to new replies.