Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Collecting receipts outside a shop for 'market research'-?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

Interesting this. I’ve just been stopped by a man with a clipboard, outside a well-known possibly German discount store, asking for my receipt for ‘market research’.

Like any other obliging Brit I fumbled about in my pocket, handed it to him, and then realised he was keeping it…..as there were things I might have to return I asked for it back, and then had to stop him scrawling something on it.

What’s all that about?

Jakester
    Free Member

Probably going to pick stuff up on the way in and then try and claim a refund…

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

He can go in and pick up a box take it to the till with your receipt, claim he bought it and get a refund or exchange.

cheers_drive

Was stopped outside Aldi last week asked the same. I’m pretty sure the woman wasn’t going to steal stuff then use the receipt

moshimonster
    Free Member

Was stopped outside Aldi last week asked the same. I’m pretty sure the woman wasn’t going to steal stuff then use the receipt

What makes you so sure? Anyway it’s a pretty good idea for a scam. Off to Waitrose tonight to try it out 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

It’s an old trick, pretty much redundant these days due to RF tags

I guess Aldi don’t use them?

IIRC they also don’t have a CS desk to take stuff back to so anything returned goes back via the checkouts

cheers_drive

I guess because the woman did it was standing by the door at 8.50am in full view of the staff.

aracer
    Free Member

Sounds like a good way to prevent you being suspicious. Before she hands the receipt to somebody else to “return” what you’ve bought.

codybrennan
    Free Member

It was Lidl 🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

I shake my head in disbelief at the OP. Have you never heard of the word No?

finephilly
    Free Member

It isfor market research. I did a similar job for Microsoft at XBOX demonstration stands. They probably want to know what an ‘average’ shopper buys or are analysing the combination of items people buy.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I was in that ‘help a fella out’ mode ohnohesback, and thought (for a moment) it was going to be something along the lines of ‘do you realise Aldi beans are cheaper?’ or something.

Anyway.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Then why keep the receipts finephilly?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Well the nosey buggers can f- right off! Anyone who trys hassling me for my receipt will wish they hadn’t!

finephilly
    Free Member

Good question – I don’t know… Maybe the chap’s boss wanted to make sure of the validity to any data collected.

aracer
    Free Member

If it’s market research for the shop, then surely they have a far easier way of collecting that data?

monkeychild
    Free Member

If it’s market research for the shop, then surely they have a far easier way of collecting that data?

Like from the till?? I’d tell them to poke off. But I do walk everywhere in my tin foil hat 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Collecting receipts outside a shop for 'market research'-?’ is closed to new replies.