• This topic has 168 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by brack.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 169 total)
  • Colleagues leaving en masse… Any other comparisons?
  • brack
    Free Member

I’m a Paramedic… I have been for nearly twenty years.

We are currently losing I’d say at least one person a week at the moment.

No one in management seems to give a damn.

Any other professions experiencing the same exodus of staff ?

wwaswas

Maybe no one in management feels they can influence the root cause of these people leaving rather than not caring?

rOcKeTdOg

The whole of the NHS basically, dedication only lasts so long when you have no pay rise & have mouths to feed (NHS lab staff here)

sofatester
    Free Member

Maybe no one in management feels they can influence the root cause

Unfortunately this is probably the case. I know that’s the reality in local government where a couple of my friends are managers.

TomB

Brack- London? I do the same work but in sunny cumbria, and folks seem happy with their lot up here, but I guess the pressures of the big city are different?

Spectator article about London paramedics

Tom-B
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few teachers leave the profession over the last year or two.

project
    Free Member

management love people leaving, it allows them to create new management posts with the savings made by the lower grades leaving. ex NHS employee twice left.

postierich
    Free Member

Drac to this post!

bruneep

Scottish Fire service (aberdeen) is the same. Its crossed my mind more than once in the last few weeks 😐

23yrs + service counts for **** all to the bean counting government civil servants

bedmaker

Bro in law is a cop in Aberdeen. They’re losing cops at a crazy rate over the past two years or so.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Aberdeen/Grampian especially – used to be a good force much like Northern.

There was a story going round a while back about an HR bod from one of the oil companies phoning Aberdeen HQ to ask WTF was going on as they had 30 cops CVs on their desk one Monday morning.

The takeover by Strathclyde is the worst thing that could have happened.

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

Agree with bruneep about the fire service in Scotland. You used to very rarely hear of people leaving, now they are leaving in droves. There’s only so many 0% pay rises people can put up with, especially with the pension increases, currently about 13% set to be close to 15%. The enthusiasm for the job is rock bottom right now.

neverownenoughbikes
    Free Member

Great ape,
    Same with the fire service, not so much Scottish more like a branch of Strathclyde,everyone is undergoing changes and cuts except them it seems.

MoreCashThanDash

MrsMC works in local government – her team was halved in the last round of cuts, half of the reminder have since retired, gone part time or gone altogether. She is looking for a move away from the team as well

I’m in central government – more of a trickle rather than a flood. Suspect that cuts to pensions, no pay/promotion prospects and increased management inefficiency are making people realise that the old days of gold plated civil service packages have gone and that any incentive to stay and hang on regardless has gone.

Maybe Mr Cameron might like to think about all those who are continuing to deliver front line services in his era of austerity in accordance with the wishes of his government, and wonder whether they deserve some financial recognition, cos if you think it is bad now, it ain’t getting better anytime soon…

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Biomedical Scientists. Me included. Sick of being asked to cut corners and to do more with less. You can only go so far and then you hit an event horizon. “Hey, look! A Black Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooo…….” Fffft! 🙄

DT78
    Free Member

management love people leaving

exact opposite. You now have the soul destroying task of trying to recruit people at far below market rates. You start to look forward to the telephone interview where the candidate, a) dials the right number and b) speaks english you can understand 🙁

anagallis_arvensis

40% of teachers leave the profession in 5 years, or something like that. Shit training, shit support once in post and shitting mental expectations are the problems. Seen a lot of teachers leave my current school too. Sucks.

ton

Mrs ton has 31 yrs in with local government. 1% rise in 5 yrs.
    had to go for a interview for her job 2 week ago, a job she has been doing for the last 14 yrs.

she is trying for early leavers initiative.

qwerty
    Free Member

One job at a time…. until your 66…

thegreatape
    Free Member

The cuts etc. are having a big impact on the service that’s now provided, but what I find worse is the senseless imposition of the Strathclyde way on the rest of the country. It’s just appalling arrogance and control freakery from the top, and doesn’t even save any money! Aberdeen is not Inverness, Inverness is not Stirling, Stirling is not Edinburgh etc. None of them are Glasgow. We’re no longer allowed to police the area in the way we know works, same for your cops, same for everyone except the weegies, and the only reason they’re not bothered now is because he came and wrecked their force six years ago. That’s been far more demoralising than no pay rises, 14% pension contributions etc. – those I can live with, and while I don’t particularly like it I can see why it is so. The rest, it’s just bollocks. Sorry, rant over 🙂

project
    Free Member

exact opposite. You now have the soul destroying task of trying to recruit people at far below market rates. You start to look forward to the telephone interview where the candidate, a) dials the right number and b) speaks english you can understand

But surely thats down to poor management , staff leave, new staff are needed and the wage the previous staff had has been stolen to pay for something else, probably management , so lower paid staff have to be recruited.

bruneep

great ape you Aberdeen based?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Par for the course in Social Work.

hot_fiat

Have four close family members / friends who are teachers (sister, bro and sister in law, wife’s best friend). Without exception they have all gone from loving the job to absolutely hating it within the last two years. Dunno what happened exactly, but something fundamentally changed and ruined it for them.

thegreatape
    Free Member

No, across the other side

DT78
    Free Member

poor management

what is your definition of management? Pay policy is not defined by managers. In the most case they are trying to do the best they can in the constraints of the policy makers. They too will also be suffering from 0% pay rises, increased pension contributions, crap morale etc… sometimes I feel I’m on the helm of a sinking ship

Pretty blinkered to think it is the managers fault who for the most part will be doing their best (yes you get rubbish ones, just like every role). Its a policy issue.

I had a chap leave a couple of weeks ago. £20k payrise and working closer to home. I said well done and good luck to him.

Offroading
    Free Member

Not the same field but im a mechanic, i left my job last week along with 3 others. That only left 2 people in the workshop, management didn’t seem to care, didn’t want to know that the reason we left was them.

hot_fiat

It’s not just restricted to the public sector. I did work for a small, nimble, fun, Southern Californian software company. A truly great place to work. We got bought out by a bunch of Texan bean counting, box-shifting cretins who failed to take on any of our culture and ruined the company. We’ve had droves of great people leave. It’s now just a job. 😥

peteimpreza

“Dunno what happened exactly, but something fundamentally changed and ruined it for them.”

That’s easy to answer.

A Tory government and their public service hating dogma.

Drac

Funnily enough.

Drac to this post!

/waves

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Biomedical Scientists. Me included. Sick of being asked to cut corners and to do more with less. You can only go so far and then you hit an event horizon. “Hey, look! A Black Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooo…….” Fffft!

Biomed is going to hit a crisis at some point as the supply of trainee Biomedical Scientists is effectively zero, there’s no damn positions going.

It’s not just restricted to the public sector. I did work for a small, nimble, fun, Southern Californian software company. A truly great place to work. We got bought out by a bunch of Texan bean counting, box-shifting cretins who failed to take on any of our culture and ruined the company. We’ve had droves of great people leave. It’s now just a job.

Everything is about short term profits for shareholders so bean counters unfortunately become board members.

Human resources, litigation and the internet have also ruined the world of work, there was a time when you could get a job by turning up unannounced and showing enthusiasm throughout all walks of life. Companies recruited for enthusiasm and trained to develop skill, these days, human resources types get together in meetings and riff off a dozen of “core competencies” that become increasingly hilarious such as “being a good negotiator” for a lab technicians position. They then work out how little they can pay you and would rather advertise a job for months instead of training someone new, if that person turns out to be a **** they fire them and move onto the next person. They won’t allow anyone to be taken on informally in an unpaid position for a few weeks with the view of eventually giving them paid work.

I’d rather have been 18 in 1920’s New York, much more opportunity for people who operate like myself.

cvilla

exodus of staff…where are they going, private sector?

tang
    Free Member

My two fields, teaching and social work have people leaving constantly.

bainbrge

Just sounds like evidence of a strong jobs market to me. I know my sector has gone crazy over the last 12 months and staff turnover has rocketed. Those who have only experienced the post crash years don’t remember previous booms and tight jobs markets.

Dr_Bakes

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    40% of teachers leave the profession in 5 years, or something like that. Shit training, shit support once in post and shitting mental expectations are the problems. Seen a lot of teachers leave my current school too. Sucks.

Yep, that’s my experience too. I’m two years in and wondering how many more I’ll do unless the work life balance gets a little more in the favour of ‘life’. Our department, and the school in general, has a high turnover – mostly experienced staff leaving and Newly Qualified Teachers coming in. Of the six people I trained with doing science on my PGCE, three have already had enough.

firestarter
    Free Member

Quite a few in my fire brigade leaving too. That and chucking their rank in and going back to fire fighter

jimbobo
    Free Member

Working my notice at the moment. When i go I’ll be the eighth paramedic I leave our small station since February. Anyone who can get out, does. Anyone with different qualifications is exploring their options ASAP. Sadly I’ve only ever been an ambulance man, so my skill set is limited but my skills bought me a job at hq, away from the road for now while I gain some more practical skills. Why is everyone leaving? Work load up, responsibility up, conditions down, security down, safety down. Realistically I’m more likely to retire through injury than I am old age, I’m already carrying long term injuries, I’ve got kids and a mortgage, I need some security an the reassurance that I’ll still have a job in 2 years time. NHS 111, minor injury units, teaching roles, primary care roles, there is options out there…

konabunny
    Free Member

40% of teachers leave the profession in 5 years, or something like that.

is that really such a high number? five years is a long time to keep fresh entrants in any market. I don’t have stats but that sounds right for the Super Efficient Private Sector that I worked in (journalism, consultancy, professional services).

anagallis_arvensis

Is it high, well yes it is when you consider the training is at least a year and the chronic shortages of good teachers. The wages are enough to attract people in but not good people. Do you have any evidence to back up your view of post grads leaving other professions at such a high rate? The figure also hides the massive number who leave the state sector very quickly or just go straight to private schools.

WTF are “professional services” 😉

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m a Paramedic… I have been for nearly twenty years.

We are currently losing I’d say at least one person a week at the moment.

No one in management seems to give a damn.

I’m guessing you must be in London then?
    We lost 28 last month and 26 the month before, currently 500 ambulance staff short.
    On a brighter note though, 17 of our senior managers are currently on a three week jolly to Australia to recruit anyone they can lay their hands on 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Colleagues leaving en masse… Any other comparisons?’ is closed to new replies.