Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Colleague being scre£wed by "mate" Landlord
  • cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I don’t see why mentioning that you had a number of houses was relevant, it looked like a bit of self indulgent willy waving…that is all.

toys19
    Free Member

Ahh sorry, I was making the point that he was available at the same time as the fault occurred and for two days after. So if they had reported on weds night, or thurs or friday in the day I could have had the bloke back round and maintained my reputation of awesomeness. Otherwise I would not have mentioned it..

I guess I could have said

The electrician was there on weds and was available in the area for thurs and fri

to prevent the oppressed from feeling the overbearing nature of my Van Hoogstraaten attitude.

But that aside, you feel like the others that wishing to solve the problem ASAP and feeling irritated that whilst I had an electrician at my disposal, there was a problem that could have been fixed there and then had I known about it, all conspire to make me a dick?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

That’s better. Now, no hand grenades please.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

But that aside, you feel like the others that wishing to solve the problem ASAP and feeling irritated that whilst I had an electrician at my disposal, there was a problem that could have been fixed there and then had I known about it, all conspire to make me a dick?

No. That’s not what I said. That’s someone elses view. 🙂

zokes
    Free Member

a, b, and c can all contradict each other – they were more ‘or’, rather than ‘and’.

HTH

Please explain how could I have handled this better?

Well, by not paraphrasing so that we could see the whole story. That would have been a start.

OR:

By accepting that in choosing to make money out of a business that means you have to deal with the public (your tenants) from time to time, you will have to deal with people who might approach situations differently to you.

toys19
    Free Member

Zokes, I don’t have an issue with people approaching it differently. I think I musta put it across badly. What irked me is that they complain it has been going for 7 days, yet they know full well I did not know about it for 3 of those days. And come on try getting an electrician on the blower at 9pm on friday? I got hold of the electrician as soona s he decided to answer his phone, which was 9am monday and he was out of the city until weds.

does that make me the dick that rebel says I am?

zokes
    Free Member

does that make me the dick that rebel says I am?

Not at all, IMO. I’ll leave it up to him to decide whether or not he’d have thought that of you if you’d been more precise in the first place. But as it was, it did seem that you were blaming the tenant for something that appeared not to be their fault.

As I pointed out rather bluntly to my landlady here: “I don’t really care how much a new oven costs, but as I’m paying to rent a house that came with one, I expect you to replace it or fix it. If your business plan in charging my family rent doesn’t cover the cost of a new oven, then you’ve got a poor business plan. Which is your fault and your problem, not mine.”

The best landlord excuse I’ve heard to date was my colleague’s: “I’m really sorry, but we can’t afford to get the roof fixed for a month or two as we’ve just bought a vineyard”

His response: “Well, in that case, I’m really sorry that we can’t afford to pay our rent for a month or two – we’re saving up for one ourselves”

toys19
    Free Member

Yeah Zokes you know damn well that is not how I operate.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Colleague being scre£wed by "mate" Landlord’ is closed to new replies.