Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Collarbone plate removal
  • willt
    Free Member

Has anyone had their collar bone plate removed? I am due to have mine out in a couple of weeks and wondered what sort of recover time is expected. The doctor has said 3 months which seems excessive to me.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’d agree that 3 months is OTT. Maybe it’s technically correct & allows plenty of recovery time – I was riding again within a month.

willt
    Free Member

that is what I wanted to hear, I figure I can sit on the turbo then use the road bike for a month only. By then the trails should be dry again hopefully.

letitreign
    Free Member

I had mine out in October, after it being in for 18 months. I was back out riding a week after the op but just taking it easy on the roads and tracks, nothing bumby basically, didn’t give me any bother though, obviously you have to be very careful, as in don’t go binning it on that side, as the bone is still fragile, so yes it will be a good 3 to 6 months for the bone to fully strengthen again where the screws have been removed but on a pain level, few days soreness, even my hydronation pack didn’t bother the stiches to be honest. But the surgeon did say no riding for a few months!
    After a few week, felt pretty normal to be honest, you’ll find the aching on that side (when you sleep) will reduce too which is good. My stiches weren’t disvolable ones, are yours? I went for mine removing but the skin had grown over and the nurse couldn’t dig them out, so she just left them in, I had a bit of a pully system going on in the skin lol…totally freaked out my OH, eventually it came out like a splinter after I dug about a bit and cut some of it out, some of it is still in there but apparently it won’t do me any harm….so she said!

RobHilton
    Free Member

that is what I wanted to hear, I figure I can sit on the turbo then use the road bike for a month only. By then the trails should be dry again hopefully.

Exactly what I did. I couldn’t take the boredom of the turbo for long & *had* to get out :).

willt
    Free Member

it hasn’t been done yet, but I have heard loads of people getting back out quickly so what I hearing is what I thought. Thanks

onewheelgood

There will be nothing to stop you riding, if all goes well (no infection etc), but obviously the bone will still have a load of screw holes in it for a few months and will be fragile. So don’t fall on it again. I think I left it a month or so.

john_l
    Free Member

You know my view Will!

willt
    Free Member

I do John it’s good to see you out riding again.

prezet
    Free Member

Had mine out about 4 months ago after a initial plate, and then a replating after a crash pulled the original one out. No bother at all, I gave it a couple of weeks off the bike, and the rucksack was a niggle to begin with (odd nerve pain) but then it all came good after about a month.

I’d stay clear of any riding in which you could have a crash … your bone will still have screw holes in it which are prone to being weak points for a couple of months.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Collarbone plate removal’ is closed to new replies.