Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Coldplay , dont get it !
  • voodoo_chile

Why are the reveered so much ,people love them ,people seem to get swept away on the coldplay wave ..
    For me they have sold their souls and will pay a higher price

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Vacuous inane music

voodoo_chile

In the words of Bill Hicks “I want my rock stars dead ”

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

They’re popular because their music is the very definition of mainstream. Safe, unchallenging, nice, predictable.

To quote Muriel Spark:

“For those that like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like.”

Cougar

I’m not a fan particularly, but they are very good live.

voodoo_chile

Every song sounds the same … or is it the same song with slightly different lead breaks …who cares its bad

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

Musical beige

voodoo_chile

Good live now means everyone is drunk and no-one cares because we are one of 40,000 people filming it on my mobile phone !

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

My Dad had a backstage pass when they played at the Reebok stadium.

He came home after the second song. I’m amazed he lasted so long.

Gunz
    Free Member

Not particularly a fan but saw them live on the off chance and they were bloody good (and I wasn’t drunk).

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

“For those that like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like.”

voodoo_chile

Gunz, “bloody good” ….I think the new vanilla ice album is out next week ,get on board the boat of banality !

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Gunz, “bloody good” ….I think the new vanilla ice album is out next week ,get on board the boat of banality !

We can tolerate each other’s preferences, surely. Let the man like Coldplay if he wants!

hammyuk
    Free Member

PrinceJohn – Member
    Musical beige

Thats an insult to Beige!

Rockape63
    Free Member

Thing is…. I was born liking middle of the road stuff. The edgiest I got was liking Bowie and early Queen stuff. Ya can’t help what you like and don’t like and I love most of Coldplay’s stuff. Live and let live!

Pigface
    Free Member

They make popular music so what, , dont like it dont listen to it.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Beige as has been said above.

Got a few friends who independently went to see them recently and they all said they were ‘amazing’. When they clarified their statements, the all said that the lights and effects were the amazing bit. Yes. it’s all part of the show, but for me it’s about the music, and none of them mentioned that!

Northwind

Say what you like, Fix You is a tune. It doesn’t go anywhere, it just repeats the same theme over and over louder and louder, it doesn’t outstay its welcome and it works damn well.

I’m not a fan but I’ve seen them live twice- once at T in the Park headlining or nearly headlining, I forget… And yeah, they were good. Not my sort of music but Chris Martin was an engaging and slightly deranged frontman (he spent more time in the lighting rig than is healthy) and they carried the crowd superbly. Really good dynamics in the set and all that. I can’t dispute the skill of it.

And once on an NME new bands tour in 2000 😆 Co-headlining with Terris, who I knew immediately were going to make it big, Coldplay you could tell had a reasonable future supporting the Longpigs and playing halfway up the bill in the tents.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

This.

deadkenny
    Free Member

There’s far worse you could be listening to. Pretty much everything teens like at the moment for example. Coldplay may churn out same old stuff that’s nice to listen to, but at least they actually have talent, can write and play their music and don’t require auto tune to sing.

Everything sounds the same, well I give you Radiohead 😛 (nothing wrong with them either)

voodoo_chile

True , you can’t help what music you like ,you like certain beats ,rythyms vocals etc …very much in your make up

Drac

Pigface has it. Generic pop that is easy to listen, at least it is not Adele and her body awful warberling.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Everything sounds the same, well I give you Radiohead

Yeah. Funny how “challenging and experimental” becomes “banal dadrock” over time. See also Pink Floyd.

I still think both those bands produce more interesting music than Coldplay though, but that’s a personal preference.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

My sister and her teenage kids went to see them live recently and said it was the most impressive live performance they’ve ever seen. Which echoes some of the other comments above.

They aren’t for me though…

jambalaya
    Free Member

So music can’t just be enjoyable, it has to mean something ?

FWIW I was practicing Viva La Vida agian this morning on the Guitar, good fairly simple beginners song

Kahurangi

It’s ok to not get something. Doesn’t mean others are wrong. Doesn’t mean you’re wrong.

Kahurangi

P-Jay
    Free Member

Inoffensive band in broad appeal shocker.

They remind me of U2 in the 90’s few people had them as their favouritist band in the world ever, but lots and lots of people might put them in their top 5.

Inconspicuous de-coupling of whatever though, and to think Alice Cooper had to bite the heads of animals…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Musical equivalent of Andy Murray.
    Dull, boring, safe, beige.
    But adored by millions of middle England..

Pook

First album was alright

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Musical equivalent of Andy Murray.
    Dull, boring, safe, beige.
    But adored by millions of middle England..

+1

Pure ‘Magic FM’ fodder.

When I was at uni I worked for a company that did security/stewarding for gigs and I’ve had to endure some godawful over the years and Coldplay was among them. The only bonus was that every now and then you got to work a gig for a band you like, or in the case of Download, a weekend worth of them!

DezB
    Free Member

There’s far worse you could be listening to.

Not if you don’t like it!!

jekkyl

yup the first album is great, that song about making friends in a wooden house is lovely.

Gunz
    Free Member

Gunz, “bloody good” ….I think the new vanilla ice album is out next week ,get on board the boat of banality

Of course you can infer from one throwaway comment, the entirety of my music tastes. It must be hard being so cutting edge and waiting for the rest of us to catch up.
    By the way, ‘Ice, ice baby’, is an unmitigated classic.

barkm
    Free Member

why do you have to ‘get it’?
    Live and let live, and let it be etc. People like different stuff.

Never got these threads 🙂

I don’t ‘get’ the appeal of soap operas, and the bloody Archers, but you know millions do, and that’s totally cool.

grahamh
    Free Member

I’m surprised no one has posted this yet.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6P-2GY-SgA[/video]

convert

I think the vocal and verbose disliking of Coldplay says more about the person spouting the opinion than it does about the band. They are a relatively middle of the road pop band with an alternative rock band wrapper. It’s just pop for adults rather than children. They have never aspired to be bad lads or be rebellious. They seem to get their kicks out of making music lots of people like rather than some sort of turmoil fuelled angst. Consequently those folk that don’t want to be associated with ‘nice’ people and think of themselves as edgier believe it’s cool to trash them. In truth the truly cool or musically sophisticated will give a nod in their direction and move on to thinking about whatever it is that floats their boats. It’s only the inept and inadequate that feel motivated enough to actually get wound up by the existence of a band the don’t listen to.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

It’s only the inept and inadequate that feel motivated enough to actually get wound up by the existence of a band they dislike.

Says the angriest contributor to the thread 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

I think the vocal and verbose disliking of Coldplay says more about the person spouting the opinion than it does about the band. They are a relatively middle of the road pop band with an alternative rock band wrapper. It’s just pop for adults rather than children. They have never aspired to be bad lads or be rebellious. They seem to get their kicks out of making music lots of people like rather than some sort of turmoil fuelled angst. Consequently those folk that don’t want to be associated with ‘nice’ people and think of themselves as edgier think it’s cool to trash them. In truth the truly cool or musically sophisticated will give a nod in their direction and move on to thinking about whatever it is that floats their boats. It’s only the inept and inadequate that feel motivated enough to actually get wound up by the existence of a band the don’t listen to.

That is a steaming pile of codswallop right there, which says more about you than it does anything.

binners

It’s music for people who don’t actually like music. Music for people who buy 1 or 2 albums a year. At christmas.

They could have been formed based on the results of a Radio 2 listener survey of terminally dull people who regard Jeremy Vine as a bit edgy.

One of my neighbours has clearly just bought the latest Coldplay album. He’s had it on repeat with the windows open, while I’ve been out the back cleaning and fettling bikes, post ride. It’s absolutely bloody awful bedwettery drivel! If it goes on again I’m going to firebomb his ****ing house! And he’ll only have himself to blame!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Coldplay , dont get it !’ is closed to new replies.