Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cold weather riding clothes/gloves
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Sorry to make a post about this so soon as its only September after all, but I always leave it too late and I dont want to do that again this year. I have really poor circulation and so my hands/feet turn to blocks of ice quicker than others.

Overshoes helped my feet a bit but after about 20 minutes the numbness creeps in. So are woolie boolies still considered the “go to” winter riding socks or has something better turned up yet?

As for gloves, everyone always says the aldi ones are good but they didn’t work for me even with a thinner silk liner glove layer under them. I was thinking of going all out and just getting some motorbike ones as they seem they should be better!

Could do with a long sleeve base layer and some bib tights, any deals about at the minute?

This is mostly for road biking btw so I guess something with wind breaking material would help on the gloves? I dont seem to notice the cold as much on the mtb..

qwerty
    Free Member

I find proper winter boots (Shimano mtb) the best for toes, don’t do them up.too.tight (to enable blood flow), for hands, I find using armwarmers (even under usual layers) and decent gloves really helps.

benjbish

I love my Endura Thermolite biblongs for the winter, never been properly cold whilst wearing them down to -5. Also like Specialized Deflect gloves.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mrmo
    Free Member

i am going to assume you know nothing so ignore the bits you know. Thick socks in summer race shoes are bad!!! they compress down and are worse than useless. Similarly gloves that are too tight won’t help. Good over shoes are warm, they do come in different thicknesses. Look at your legs and arms, in particular ankles and wrists, keep the blood warm all the way to hands and feet!

chakaping
    Free Member

So are woolie boolies still considered the “go to” winter riding socks

On One Thicky Merino socks are back in, 3 pairs for £10.

I’m generally happy wearing those with 5:10s on the MTB.

On the road bike these are excellent…
    http://www.highonbikes.com/bbb-heavy-duty-mtb-road-bike-overshoes-bws02b.html?gclid=CMaHlNn7zLkCFXQftAod33AAUQ#.UjVtTn-1vy8

and +1 for tight shoes = bad

_tom_
    Free Member

Yep those are the over shoes I have 🙂 was surprised at the difference they made. Without them my feet are numb within 5mins of leaving the house.

_tom_
    Free Member

So any opinions on the BBB winter gloves? I normally wear a small but is it worth sizing up to a medium then?

cinnamon_girl

Windstopper is your friend. I could not survive Autumn and Winter riding without Gore Windstopper gloves in several variations.

Best people to ask about warm clothing is the wimminz here. 😀

And another edit: base layers – some people swear by merino although I’m losing the love these days. May I mention Gore again, they do some Windstopper base layers in a really fine and soft fabric. You can get a zipped neck style too. Do a Google for reductions, I definitely didn’t pay full price!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Glacier gloves. Unbelievably warm, fleece lined neoprene and tbh, anything warmer than freezing and you’ll sweat like a 70’s DJ.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve got some brilliant Bontrager overshoes that are toasty in cold wet weather. They are waterproof and lined with really thick fleece.

_tom_
    Free Member

Glacier gloves. Unbelievably warm, fleece lined neoprene and tbh, anything warmer than freezing and you’ll sweat like a 70’s DJ.

Would that be these ones? http://glacierglove.com/our-products/cycling/waterproof-cycling-glove.html

mogrim

Get decent gloves, and save money on the jacket. Decathlon has some decent winter jackets, just layer up with a long-sleeved thermal t-shirt, and if really cold another layer. I wouldn’t get their winter gloves, though.

Gillet’s are excellent, too, particularly if you’re road riding and you can stop to put it on at the top of a descent.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member
    Northwind

I didn’t find the Aldi ones much good tbh.

Fox Antifreeze should do normal people- very warm, and less bulky than anything else I’ve tried that can keep up warmth-wise. Downside is they’re not very long-lived, the laminated outer layer can crack and come off after a while.

For real cold, yep, Glacier Gloves. I have pretty poor circulation and I like to ride in proper cold, and these are the only gloves I’ve found that genuinely keep me warm- others can only keep me functioning. They are a little bulky, and smelly, and feel weird on the bike as they’re squishy, but it’s well worth it as they are so damn good at what they do.

_tom_
    Free Member

Cheers 🙂

I’m alright for a jacket, got a Salomon fast 3 which has lasted me ages, just have to layer up. I have some Lonsdale base layers which are warm but don’t dry out well so you get that cold sweaty back after a while.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cold weather riding clothes/gloves’ is closed to new replies.