• This topic has 22 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • cold weather and surgical metalwork?
  • ton

the type used to mend broken bodies.

i know it is not that cold yet, but my fused right foot has been like a block of ice since the colder weather started.
    with the foot not bending it dont generate much bodily heat.
    i wear wool socks most of the time. and now wearing winter north face boots.
    still cold.

anyone suffer like this? any remedies apart from mtfu?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Circulation OK?
    I can see this being a big factor but IANAD

CheesybeanZ

I’ll bet BMW do some heated motor bike socks .

kayak23

I’ve had metalwork in my arm from a motorcycle crash and in my leg from a mtb crash. Had them both out eventually as they bothered me quite a bit.

Flaperon

I have some metalwork in my wrist. It sucks in cold weather. It’s not you.

simon_g

Wireless heated insoles: https://www.primrose.co.uk/-p-100208.html

Think I’m lucky that my left thumb is held together with metalwork (silly MTB accident when I was 17) but it doesn’t seem any worse in the cold than any of my other digits.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Mine ache a bit when it’s really cold, makes me feel a bit sluggish and grumpy, but it doesn’t take long to warm up.

chickenman

I have a fused ankle with three pins in it. Have never had any issues with the cold though. Riding the bike is a bit weird though…can’t drop heels and can’t push off ankle on jumps; not a massive issue though.

colp

I’d answer but I’m giving you the cold shoulder

TiRed

My volar plate tells me the weather. Wrists are such sensitive things.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Mum has some metalwork in her ankle, always gives her grief when its cold.

scotroutes

Can you not pass an electric current through any metalwork to heat it up.

sbob
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

Can you not pass an electric current through any metalwork to heat it up.

Induction would work. 🙂

senorj

Yep – I have to keep my knee covered in the cold and new for this winter
    are 4 tacks in my groin ,they feel quite unpleasant from time to time.
    If i were you i’d try a heat pad on the ankle. or deep heat.

weeksy

Mine doesn’t affect me in the cold, but in changes in temp/pressure i get a twinge or two.. nothing major though i’m pleased to say.

That’s my femur. I’ve also got metalwork in my right hand but i don’t get any effects from that at all.

alanf
    Free Member

No metalwork but my wrist aches when it’s cold due to a triple fracture about 15 years ago.

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve got metalwork in my spine but I haven’t noticed anything in cold weather.

ton

gave my ankles a good rub with deep heat max this morning, prior to putting my socks on.
    warm toasty tingling feet today. 8)

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well…

If we’re showing off battle scars!

|https://thumbsnap.com/0rs741Mk[/img]

|https://thumbsnap.com/EieDYRsY[/img]

Elbow plate came out a couple of years ago, but still bloody aches, especially in the cold. Wrist is still in there, only gives me gip now and again, usually when I’ve been carrying heavy stuff about.

whitestone
    Free Member

It’s possible that metalwork in the wrist and ankle has less muscle surrounding it than something like a hip replacement. I’ve been in some pretty cold weather (-16C) and not had any problems from my hip.

spawnofyorkshire

The pin in my ankle gives me a dull background pain when it’s very cold or if there’s a big atmospheric pressure change

aroyalnit
    Free Member

I had my wrist plated about 4 years back. It got grumbly in the cold for the first couple of years, but seems fine now.

As an aside, I had an MRI on it once to see if there were any floating chips of bone around, and managed to blag a CD of the scan, which is pretty much a bunch of images. You can make some funky animated gifs of your innards with them!

P-Jay
    Free Member

@aroyalnit

That is properly cool

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘cold weather and surgical metalwork?’ is closed to new replies.