Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Cold slow forks
  • Zaskar93
    Free Member

Haven’t been out since last Sunday when it was already sub zero but has anyone else noticed a lack of travel and slowing down of their forks in very cold weather? My Rock Shox Revelation Race were decidely slow and never got above half travel even though the Fox DHX Air still seemed quite happy. Should I bring my bike inside to warm up before going out?

1nten5e
    Free Member

The damping oil turns to treacle in freezing temperatures…thus it cant flow through the damper as fast. This should speed up as you start to get some heat in (by riding). Rear shocks tend to get hotter quicker than forks.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I going to bring mine in on saturday night so it will warm up before sundays ride. I’m more worried about the seals being cold and possibly a bit brittle than I am about slow damping. A night in the kitchen should see it ok tho.

alexpalacefan

Rigid FTW 😉

APF

andywill

I was sent some information on how much the viscosities increase with the drop in temperatures very recently. At 0°C it is about twice as much as at 20°C. It was also suggested that the fork will not get much above ambient temp because they have so much thermal inertia in them and huge surface area, so It would appear that the damping will not improve much with use.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Cold slow forks’ is closed to new replies.