• This topic has 140 replies, 76 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)
  • Cold: Show us your logburners/fires
  • ourmaninthenorth

A cubic metre cost us £70 delivered (with a free bag of kindling) but I reckon it still needs further seasoning, it doesn’t burn as well as some logs left by the house’s former owner. We’ve been running the fire for three weeks or so and are about halfway through the load. Kiln dried wood is astronomical, it’s about £200 for the same amount!

How does Pearsons in Marple compare? That’s where we get our wood and coal. He was offering 50 bags for £100, but that was before the cold weather started.

Bunnyhop

Never heard of Pearsons. Where is it omitn?
    Ours is from Glossop. We shared the cost with a neighbour who also ordered a cubic metre, so we got free delivery too.

ourmaninthenorth

Just along the lane that leads to Rose Hill Station off Stockport Road.

Family business – they do coal, primarily, but plenty of wood, too. No idea if the quality will be up to the task, but we find it OK. I tend to ensure that I split the logs (our fire is only small) when I get them and then hang them in the cellar to season further.

nbt

I kow where Pearson’s is, didn;t know they did wood – I know them as a coal merchant. Was thinkin of trying a bag of coal (or proper smokeless fuel) to see how it goes.

this is the place we got ours from

http://thelogstores.co.uk/Firewood-Log-Products.html

we went for the cubic metre of seasoned hardwood. I reckon it’s not *quite* dry enough at the moment, maybe due to how I stored it unprotected as we had it delivered before I had chance to build a proper woodstore (on the theory that if it was delivered, I’d be forced to build a woodsitre – incorrect as it turned out, it was over a month later!). HOwever I usually bring in a couple of basket loads and stack itup next to the fire to dry iout and it’s fine then

when you say “50 bags”, how big is a bag? if it;s a cubic metre builder’s bgag, I’m in 😉

ebygomm
    Free Member

So jealous of all these wood stoves. I’m in a rented house and despite there being a lovely brick fireplace, which has been boarded across the top with a precut hole for a flue there is no woodburner

ourmaninthenorth

Not a cubic metre bag, and not hardwood either. It comes in the usual orange netting bags you see all over. I suspect it’s a sideline to the coal business.

They sell some odd coal – German wood coal (dense, pressed wood with coal dust). Burns hot and long, though, and smokeless. they also sell other coal, too.

munkster
    Free Member

I reckon we’re paying about the same as everyone else who’s quoted a price for a cubic metre – where I am worried is just how quickly we’re getting through the bloody stuff!!

We’re lucky to get a cubic metre to last a month at the moment, what am I doing wrong??

timber

Mcmoonter -we run a Technorton saw bench and splitter off the back of a Ford 3000, you’ll be hard pushed to get one new as they went bust last year, but they are fairly prolific.
    Even with 6-ton of splitting ram, not everything will split, had to break down a load of black poplar on the saw.

12′ trailer is £90 and a soft/hard mix
    our stuff sits as cordwood for at least a year, maybe 3 (depending on species) before splitting and then 6+ months in one of our vented stores.

Use the flue and door vents to control your burn, or get wetter stuff, had one customer complain our stuff burnt too quick, he was previously buying wood off a tree surgeon with the sap still pumping. Did say he was a lot warmer though and easier to get going.

markenduro
    Free Member

Here’s mine, it’s a portway and has made a massive difference to the whole feel of the house. Fitted in January this year and must have saved us a fair amount in gas bills as just have the heating on for about 2 hours a day now.

log burner by markenduro, on Flickr

trailmonkey

Here’s ours. Installed this September after many years with a Villager. Toasty.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/trailmonkey/5238306505[/url]
    P1010369 by trailmonkey, on Flickr[/img]

munkster
    Free Member

Use the flue and door vents to control your burn

Our top vents are pretty much closed (a little bit open of course) and the bottom ones shut tight once it’s going and that provides plenty of draw I find; even then I find myself putting another big un (or equivalent) on there about once every 30/40 mins or so to keep it going…

nbt

For the first month or so I struggled to manage the fire, but having read the instruction nook (I know, shame on me, I’m not a real man) I find I’m doing more or less what munkster does – everything wide open to start with (even leave the door open a crack for the first few mins) to get it all going, then shut the bottom vents, then the top one runs at about 1/3rd to 1/2 open. I do find adding a single log means it doesn’t burn as well as if you add two and leave some kind of gap between them to allow air to circulate – looks like the fire on the first log kind of feeds of the fire from the other log

timber

munkster – do you know what wood you are burning? Some things are damn near spontaneous, giving off ridiculous heat like lawsons cypress, to slow burners like chestnut, that just smoulder without much heat. One place I lived was quite windy, so had a flue gate to limit the draw, works basecamp has a short flue so it has an adjustable fan on it. Sounds as if you have adjusted it as much as you can.

iDave
    Free Member

still waiting for the washing machine drum photo!!

munkster
    Free Member

Hi timber – I’m not sure what wood it is – I seem to recall I was told it was Ash (?) but there seems to be a little bit of variety in there – doesn’t all look the same variety. As a result some of it is woeful whereas some of it burns a real treat.

As per nbt’s post it’s taken me a good couple of months to get anywhere near confident in how to use the damned thing – lighting the bugger in the first place has become a source of much frustration (how hard can it BE to make wood burn? “quite, at times” it would seem…) but think I’ve generally got that taped now.

Any decent recommendations for logs/wood in the Derby area would be much appreciated – might need to try a few different places to see how things compare.

Morris
    Free Member

This thread has inspired me to get a log burner.

The problem I have is the stack has been removed and slated over and the chimney breast has been sealed.

What do I need to do to install one?

Would I need a stack and the chimney opening up or just a flue?

fivespot
    Free Member

Got me thinking now too. I can feel the warmth already 😳

iDave
    Free Member

I’m still waiting to see the washing machine drum log burner?

matt_outandabout

*sobs*
    I miss our woodburner – had one in Sheffield, and now our landlord here won’t fit one…
    *sobs some more*

And McMoonter – I have serious log pile envy.

jimcollins67
    Free Member

Moving house in 5 weeks, this will be my 1st log burner. Looking forward to enjoying a few Whiskies sitting in front of it, well once i find a log supplier……

kcal

Fitted one in the garden shed; loved it so much for working beside that put another three in the house. Last few weeks been fantastic, cut heating bills by some amount; wood source: local fuel merchants, sawmill offcuts, timber yard offcuts and a couple of local friends with fallen trees that need clearing..

Once I get pictures organised will put them up..

Viewing 21 posts - 121 through 141 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Cold: Show us your logburners/fires’ is closed to new replies.