• This topic has 140 replies, 76 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 141 total)
  • Cold: Show us your logburners/fires
  • Bunnyhop

Woodburner by Bunnyhop, on Flickr

Here’s our little fella. Much needed as its going to dip well below freezing tonight, maybe even -10. Brrrrrrrr.

miketually
    Free Member

That’s it, we need a wood burner!

Crag
    Free Member

littlegirlbunny – Member
    I know it’s not ‘mine’…yet, but this is the one I am planning to have installed in a few months or so…….

(in blue though)

It’s nearly as exciting as getting a new bike!

Any idea of the make and model of this one please Little Bunnygirl? We’re currently shopping for a new wood burner and Mrs C kind of likes the look of this.

robdob
    Free Member

I do like a lot of these woodburners pictured but can’t help thinking how clinical and uninviting most of the rooms look. White or cream walls, stone or wood floors etc. Am I the only person left who loves a nice carpet in the lounge?
    AnthonyB”s lounge looks really cosy though!!

Smarty
    Free Member

before……

during……

and much later.

Stoner
    Free Member

bravo smarty. that’s proper grand designs, right there.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

not a log burner but our “real fire” at haloween, note the creepy hand log in the fire 😯

Really got the log stack envy – going to have to sort ours out

Smarty
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say that stoner, not much up to your handywork but still with my own hands 🙂
    Here’s what I did with the other fireplace, not quite a stove but…….
    before……

during…..

and 2 after

Stoner
    Free Member

youre too modest smarty. Thats fair flair.

I like the back splash.

Spongebob
    Free Member

This thread is innane!

Wharfedale
    Free Member

Ours about 5 minutes ago, time for a brew and feet up 😀

Shame about all the other work that still needs doing to the living room…..

maxray
    Free Member

Ours has been ace this week, a super toasty lounge which still was warm the next morning so no need to whack the heating on.

Flying through wood though, going have to stock up a bit more before Christmas..

Bunnyhop

robdob – Even though our room ^^does look clinical to you, what you can’t see are the long floral curtains, loads of cushions and blue chair and red fabric setee. Also our other reception room looks like a tarts boudoir, with bright red wall paper and floral curtains.

Smarty – I love what you’ve done to those rooms, also liking the fact you kept the original doors.

69er
    Free Member

Dave trying it for size…

miketually
    Free Member

We just bought two doors like Smarty’s for our project house. What did you use to treat/coat/whatever them?

Smarty
    Free Member

quote]We just bought two doors like Smarty’s for our project house. What did you use to treat/coat/whatever them?

[/quote]

Very lucky with our doors as every door in the house is original with the backplates and knobs too.
    Miketually – after stripping I just made sure they were gently dried at room temp, lots of sanding, lots of clear wax and lots of buffing of that wax. Took apart the backplates polished the brass internals, sprayed the body matt black and french polished the knobs on my lathe
    [

miketually
    Free Member

Very nice!

yodagoat
    Free Member

Here’s Jake watching Brian have a bath in front of our stove.

2hottie
    Free Member

Mine. Morso Squirrel 1412,
    Lovely and warm…

_tom_
    Free Member

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Go on then, here are ours.

Living room

Bedroom

munkster
    Free Member

Flying through wood though, going have to stock up a bit more before Christmas..

Glad it’s not just us then!!

Out of interest how much are people paying for their logs approx? We’ve been getting those big trade bags (cubic metre perhaps??) delivered but at this rate our log expenditure is going to be astronomical. Admittedly 3.5 snow days this week has depleted our log pile considerably but all the same…!!

[edit]Here’s our burner…

[/edit]

nbt

A cubic metre cost us £70 delivered (with a free bag of kindling) but I reckon it still needs further seasoning, it doesn’t burn as well as some logs left by the house’s former owner. We’ve been running the fire for three weeks or so and are about halfway through the load. Kiln dried wood is astronomical, it’s about £200 for the same amount!

richmars

Cost of wood?
    About 1 gallon of petrol to get there and back, plus about 2 hours of my time cutting, carrying and spliting.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Here’s our fireplace. German law states that fireplaces are not allowed to be open, hence the glass doors. It’s in use almost permanently ATM.

And this is the wood store.

Harry_the_Spider

I’m burning broken packing cases that I get from work for nowt. Good job too as this cold snap has meant a lot of burning.

Smarty
    Free Member

Timber off cuts from the local wood yard £10 for a HUGE load
    Crosscut saw in the shed to cut it up for kindling £180
    Ifor Williams trailer to transport wood £850
    Towbar fitting to new car to pull trailer £280
    Seasoned hardwood logs per cubic meter bag +fuel to collect it £35
    Tanalised timbers and roofing slates to build log store £230
    Chainsaw £200
    Hydraulic log splitter £310
    The look, smell and heat from a real fire……………PRICELESS

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Hydraulic log splitter £310

Now there is a tool I feel the need for. We have a lot of knotted elm that is great for burning but very tough to split by hand. I usually just cut it up with the chainsaw into stove firebox sized chunks.

I have a grey Fergie tractor as a hydraulic power source. Which are best, tractor mounted or freestanding electric/hydraulic.

Perhaps this is worthy of a new thread.

fastindian
    Free Member

Stoner, thats the size I was thinking of for our place, if you dont mind spilling the beans how much for the burner and installation approx?

laughingontheinside
    Free Member

fastindian
    Free Member

OK, anyone give me an idea on cost of purchase/instalation on a small to medium size burner? 😀

timbur
    Free Member

About £1500-2000 when we had ours done a few years back. The main cost is the flue/liner IIRC.

WELL WORTH IT.

Think it’s a Stovax.

Do the HEATAS bit as well and check for grants from your local council.

Tim

Saccades
    Free Member

humm…. i don’t think my washing machine drum and metal stand quite cuts the mustard in this thread….

miketually
    Free Member

humm…. i don’t think my washing machine drum and metal stand quite cuts the mustard in this thread….

Pics!

Macavity
    Free Member

Its important to have the right bike as well.
    woodpile

nickf
    Free Member

Cost for me is £1800 for installation (3 storey building so needs scaffolding) plus £850 for a Stovan Brunel. Expensive, but thoroughly worth it.

Stoner
    Free Member

5-6m of flue with no bends but passing through a floor/roof is about £1300 fitted (I’ve had two fitted in the last few months, one for the log burner, one for the pellet boiler)

Stove can be anywhere from £500 to £2500. Ours was on special from Church Stretton fires, 11kW Lacaunza Leyre for £600.

As for wood, I pay £90 for 1.3m3 of 22-25% moisture seasoned ash. That fills that wood stack by the burner and another two lime crates.

iDave
    Free Member

Pics!

Indeed

Saccades
    Free Member

Seriously?

I’ll try to get some tonight then.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 141 total)

The topic ‘Cold: Show us your logburners/fires’ is closed to new replies.