Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cold Setting – Sheldon Brown
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve currently got a charge plug, which I’ve been reliably informed has 120mm rear hub spacing.

Due to an impending longer commute (13 miles each way) I fancy a new bike, but funds are a bit tight at the moment. The commute is relatively flat – Hampton Hill to Victoria – and I fancy something geared.

My first thought is to sling an alfined rear wheel in there using the Sheldon Brown Cold Setting technique.

Is this relatively safe assuming I don’t jump on the bit of timber and over stretch the frame?

I’ve thought that maybe you may be able to achieve a similar result using some threaded bar, washers and nuts and spread the frame like that, leave the assembly in place for a while and the frame should be spread, no?

Any thoughts?

flip
    Free Member

I’m an engineer myself, i would be very careful of attempting cold setting unless you’re very confident.

I don’t think the ‘threaded bar method’ would exert the required force, hence long leverage with a piece of wood.

Be careful that the welds on the seat stays don’t crack. The whole thing makes me shake my head, especially as he recommends it for ‘an older bike that you’ve just become sentimentally attached to’…

Tim
    Free Member

You can get 120mm hub gears

http://lyxus.net/hqcl

steve_b77
    Free Member

Anyone got experience of this?

stanley

Don’t know the terrain you are riding on, but will gears make it that much easier?
    I used to do a 20mile each way commute and much preferred it on the fixed bike to the geared bike.

You could get a 120mm OLN Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub, (£20-30 new off Ebay), build it into a wheel, mount the changer on the seat stay and have a 3-speed bike. Would convert back to fixed in minutes too.

Got a similar project on the go here now. My excuse is worn out knees!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cunning plan, do they come in 36 hole?

Also are they fixed or freewheel?

stanley

Yep,

36 hole is the most common (iirc)

Freewheel usually, although there is a modern fixed version available at £200+
    Supposed to be very good though!

Try searching “St.Johns Street Cycles” for info maybe.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cold Setting – Sheldon Brown’ is closed to new replies.