Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cold setting road frame – 120mm – 130mm
  • RoganJosh
    Free Member

Should I try this myself? Anybody else done so? Got an old frame for my Mrs to use and want to run 10 speed campag!

Can anybody reccomend a frame builder that can do this?

dovebiker

Have cold-set frames previously – you do need to go well beyond 130mm in order to get the required setting. Also might want to re-align the drop-outs as they’ll no longer be parallel.

tjagain

you need not just to put a single bend in the stays – it will need at least two. I have done this but you need to be very careful. IIRC sheldon brown has usefull info on doing it

cynic-al
    Free Member

It’s dead easy IMO/E.

Just take it gently, pull the dropots apart. An adj spanner can straighten the dropouts.

jonba
    Free Member

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-spacing.html

Is a useful guide. I thought about it for a 126mm road fram so I could get a 130mm wheel in there. In the end I just shoved the wheel in as it was easy enough to do. 100miles on the bike now in that setup and it has been faultless. 10mm might be a bit tricky. If you have a spare wheel see how hard it is to get in and out. I know there are other complications but if it goes in it might just work.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Only issue with just spreading a 120mm frame, is I guess it’s a singlespeed? In which case it might be hard to keep the axle from moving if the dropouts aren’t parallel.

brant
    Free Member

Issue I’ve seen tends to be that chainstay bridges can dislike it and crack.

bencooper
    Free Member

I do it all the time – there’s a special tool I use for it, but you can do it by just putting the frame on the floor and pulling carefully. The dropouts will need to be realigned.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cold setting road frame – 120mm – 130mm’ is closed to new replies.