Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cold radiators for the Summer
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

Eh? couldn’t you? what about it eh? Can’t my boiler pump cold water round my house and cool the rooms down like a heatsink? Why not?

jimdubleyou

My heating system is a closed loop. Not sure where you’re going to introduce cold water to the system.

stumpy01

If you just mean the cold water in the radiators – it isn’t cold enough to make much/any difference….

Hot water going through radiators in the winter is a lot hotter than the ambient air to provide a decent heating effect (delta T of 45 degrees at least, I would think).

Cold ‘water’ to provide a cooling effect in the summer would have to have a similar temp difference but in the opposite direction, which would imply a refrigerant, rather than just cold water – as cold water would be long frozen….

Stevet1
    Free Member

Cold ‘water’ to provide a cooling effect in the summer would have to have a similar temp difference but in the opposite direction, which would imply a refrigerant, rather than just cold water – as cold water would be long frozen….

Bring me solutions! not more problems!

jimdubleyou
    stumpy01

Stevet1 – Member

Bring me solutions! not more problems!

Okie Dokie….

Stevet1
    Free Member

all I’m sensing here is a lack of vision to leverage the existing infrastructure and push back on the naysayers to realize the full global potential of the assets.

jimdubleyou

all I’m sensing here is a lack of vision to realize the assets and leverage the existing infrastructure and to push back on the naysayers.

It’s not that I can’t change the laws of Physics, it’s that I don’t want to…

trail_rat
    Free Member

HOUSE ! – you are my managers manager and i claim my £5.

timidwheeler

Problem is – cold water goes hard. I suppose you could pump dry ice round the system but small children would stick to the radiators.

rossburton
    Free Member

An icy radiator – when not covered in frozen children and pets – surely also wouldn’t naturally convect like heat from a hot radiator would. It’s almost like what you need is a super-chilled area protected from contact, with a fan to spread the cooled air around…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Underfloor heating + ground source heat pump with reverse operation.

Done

trail_rat
    Free Member

£££££££££££££££££ dave

yanboss

It wouldn’t be very effective:
    You have to keep the temperature of the radiator above the dew point else you will get condensation which will collect in a puddle on the floor ruining your fancy solid wood flooring. So at 21 degrees and 50% RH that is 10 degrees.

With a temperature difference (Delta t) between the radiator and the room of 11 degrees the radiator will only absorb 10% of it’s rated heat output. And thats ignoring the fact that it should be mounted at the top of the wall else you will end up with cool feet and a warm head as the cold air falls.

So a radiator that keeps the inside 25 degrees warmer than the outside would be only be able to drop the room temperature a few degrees. And you still have to get dump the heat somewhere.

TL;DR Won’t work because physics

wobbliscott
    Free Member

For heat transfer to occur you need a difference in temperature – the problem is that the water in your CH system will temp soak to the same temp as the ambient air in your house. You need some way to dump the heat energy in your CH system – i.e. an Air Conditioning system.

donald
    Free Member

OK so we’re going to need to fill the radiators with liquid nitrogen. At ?195.79 °C that’s going to chill the room down nicely. With the added advantage that you won’t get condensation on the radiators, it’ll turn straight to ice.

We’ll need to fence in the radiators to stop children getting their tongues stuck to them obvs and we’ll need some way of removing the ice when it builds up too deeply. To start with I can knock lumps off to put in my drinks but we’ll need a better solution for when I’ve had enough to drink.

sas78

Condensation would be your enemy. Dripping everywhere you exposed the cold metal surface to the warm moist house air.

Effectively like a large dripping toilet cistern in your living room!

Not to mention there are rust implications…

sas78

I like the approach though – shows good thinking just not that executable. 😀

squirrelking
    Free Member

T – nobody specified costs 😉

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cold radiators for the Summer’ is closed to new replies.