• This topic has 25 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by 40mpg.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cold Head for the baldies ?
  • mountainman

How do folks get around this , i find a hat under the helmet gets sweaty , so over helmet covers , day rides not too bad but night riding gets cold.

scotroutes

Buff.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Baldy head here, even on the coldest day, my barnet is never cold!.

I wear a buff most of the time, stops the baldy man lines across the head when having a post ride pint…. 😆

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I always use a buff,in summer it keeps the midges off & in winter keeps my head warm.
    If you really struggle with the cold you could tape up the vents with duct tape.

iainc

my Buff thread…

I have worn a Buff on the bike all the time for years. I was asking the question to see if anything better, and some good ideas were posted. I have found that the conventional ‘pirate style’ tied buff doesn’t work with helmets with a low retention loop at the back, as the knot pushes them forward, so a single or double cap folded style seems good now for me with MTB lid.

Davesport

I’ve got one of those skull cap thingy’s for cold days. I wear it all winter unless it’s unseasonably warm. It’s got the added bonus of making you look like a medieval executioner when you take your helmet off at cafes etc 😀

wwaswas

Buff, warm in winter, stops the sweat running down into your eyes in summer.

mountainman

http://img2.thejournal.ie/inline/1679608/original/?width=630&version=1679608

Irish Buff !! farmers calander when searching for buffs.

vondally
    Free Member

Skull cap on really cold days
    Buff for most times
    Decathlon, Pantini bandana on other occasions

whitestone
    Free Member

Buff most times, lightweight cotton cycling cap if it’s not that chilly. I’ve also found a need for something in summer as there’s no hair to soak up sweat 😕

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Aldi merino beanie, keeps the grade1 noggin comfy and keeps circulation around ears on descents.

prawny

On my road bike I wear a cotton cap 90% of the time, and I’ve got a cut up buff to cover my ears if it’s a bit colder.

I’ve got one of these for when it’s really grim.

globalti
    Free Member

A buff is cool in summer and warm in winter and stops the helmet pads getting sweaty and smelly.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have found that the conventional ‘pirate style’ tied buff doesn’t work with helmets with a low retention loop at the back

I just double it up, no need for a knot.

iainc

^^^^ boulder heid 🙂

zerolight
    Free Member

In the cold I wear a gore skull cap. In warmer weather I just wear the helmet.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-universal-windstopper-softshell-skull-cap-2012/

thecaptain
    Free Member

Fleece headband over the forehead and ears – either buy one, or just use a strip of fleece with a knot in it. Makes a big difference even with top of head uncovered. Have also cut strips off old thermal t-shirts to make headbands too, though that’s more useful for sweat diversion in hotter weather or indoor training.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

^^^^ boulder heid

Right ye are Ned Flanders…

iainc

^^^ never has a ‘tache in my life ! 🙂

epicyclo

Buff.

I’ve had problems with warmer skull caps. Sweat like pig uphill, turns to ice on long descent. Result equalled the very best of icecream headaches.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Buff, worn under helmet balaclava style, while riding (and depending how cold) you can pull it over nose, or over mouth/chin, or drop to neck. Head and ears stay warm, sweat is absorbed. Ideal IMO

Also have a neoprene headband thing that is shaped to also provide for ear-cover. Always has been too warm for me though so it’s either bake or remove and freeze.

vongassit
    Free Member

Baldie-check , buff owner-check , head status-warm.

jb72
    Free Member

Thin Karrimor running hat works for me. Few quid from SportsDirect.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

As others have said, skull cap. Decathlon do a good BTwin one with ear cover.

shermer75
    Free Member

Not a baldie head, but buff most times or Endura skull cap when it gets proper cold

£9.49

40mpg

Buff for me. Doubled up this time of year, or in summer old one cut in half like a extra wide headband so there’s a bit of top vent.

Pirate style doesn’t work so well with enduro style helmets although I saw recently buff do a skull cap which doesn’t cover the ears (don’t like covered ears unless it’s really cold)

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cold Head for the baldies ?’ is closed to new replies.