• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Cold face when riding – recommendations re what to wear
  • superleggero
    Free Member

I am really feeling the cold on my face when riding. Freezing cheeks forehead chin nose the flipping lot! Even my teeth have on occasion joned the party and given me jip from the cold.

I am wearing a skullcap under the helmet which also covers my ears, something around my neck, and clear riding glasses, but its the other bits in between that are getting really cold and numb.

I am looking for something that allows flexibility for talking, eating, drinking etc. without having to peel it off. Any recommendations welcome.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Buff.

Around the neck, lift up as needed to keep you warm, drop when not needed. You can also get creative with a Buff as both a skullcap and neck/face cover.

In short, get a Buff.

weeksy

Zwift

headfirst
    Free Member

Get a merino wool buff. Alpkit one is good and a fair price.

eskay

I have one of these and they are very good:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/nike-pro-combat-thermal-hood/

The front bit pulls down, so you can have it as shown in the pic, or just on the chin or under the chin depending on your preference.

Best bit of head gear that I have.

scotroutes

Grow a beard.

Seriously, I stop shaving when the clocks go back. The difference is amazing.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got a Mavic balaclava like this:-

Can’t say I’ve ever been cold enough to need it though.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

Simply try another core body layer before any other option as it might be your just generally cold :/

Failing that more coffee stops work for me

Sandwich

As Scotroutes says above beard or even designer stubble keeps the face warm. No.4 on the beard trimmer for me at this time of the year.

frankconway

@Dibbs: that’s more bank robber or SAS than bike rider……. 😯

superstu
    Free Member

I wear two buffs, one for neck one for head but wrapped so it covers ears and top of the skull. The buff on my neck I roll up as required. Only thing I don’t like is the condensation when breathing through it, but no option is going to avoid that! I do have a balaclava which may provide additional warmth to the cheeks but not used it yet. Looks less gimp like than that up there^^^!

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@ frankconway – It’s more nuclear accident.

frankconway

@chester – can’t disagree with that so – off to buy one now; temperature dropping, trump getting closer to the nuclear trigger, putin on a roll – what could possibly go wrong? 😯

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Is there just a trigger or a button, is it red?

Could he just bowl up to the white/trump house pissed as a rat, rummage around a desk draw “ah yes there it is, I’ll show that commy cock sucker what a free market is” boom job jobbed.

frankconway

@chester: aaaah – yes, think so…………….

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I knew it.

Haze

Buff, layered up to keep the chill off your chest and over the mouth/nose to keep the cold air out. Trap the back underneath your helmet closure system to stop it slipping down.

Can pull the front underneath your jaw to help with breathing when you’re putting an effort in…climbs etc.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 for buff. Hugely versatile. If really cold I first arrange it balaclava style before fitting a bike helmet which fixes it all into place.

Clear sports glasses or goggles help a lot.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Beard here too. I see people riding in what look like scarves but I can’t stand my airflow being reduced.

NormalMan

Another buff user here.

austy
    Free Member

Have you tried a barrier cream like aqueous cream or if its worse emulsifying ointment. Works a treat for me.

TiRed

Buff around the nick. Designer stubble 3/4 beard. Skullcap on the head.

Same with feet. Long merino socks under tights. Didn’t need overshoes, just toethings, despite freezing temperatures.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Cold face when riding – recommendations re what to wear’ is closed to new replies.