• This topic has 54 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by jonba.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Cold drinks, namely fizzy pop….
  • binners

Does anyone drink much of it?

I’ve never really bothered with it much. Mainly as its a cold drink but doesn’t contain alcohol, and therefore I’ve never really seen the point of it. However I seem to have recently forsaken my usual daily gallons of coffee (not a bad thing), but seem to have replaced it with the black doctor… full fat coke (not good, I’m presuming). Only one or 2 a day, but still. Everyone who I’m working with at the moment seems to drink loads of it.

Does anyone else drink Coke, Rola-Cola, Pepsi, Fanta etc much then?

munrobiker
    Free Member

More than I ought (maybe once a week at most) and it does make me feel guilty as it is horrendous for you- a pint’s something like 60% of the sugar you should have in a day and essentially melts your teeth.

But it’s tasty- I’d drink lots more if it wasn’t so bad. Two a day sounds far worse for you than two coffees, but every now and then is OK.

Bregante

I always had you down as a fanta man.

allfankledup

Irn Bru – it’s expected

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Even as a Scot, Irn Bru is foul stuff.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yes, for a man who doesn’t drink, smoke or take drugs (anymore) I have an odd habit/addiction – I drink somewhere between 2 and 4 litres of Diet Coke a day, every day, in fact every single day for probably a decade or more.

It stains my teeth a bit and if, for whatever reason I don’t drink any before 10am I get the most outrageous headaches – this was a real probably back in 2007 in Morzine, I seem to recall France and the US was having one of it’s falling outs again and the village seemed completely devoid of the stuff, my mates were pretty pissed off with our morning routine of riding into town, past the lifts to the one vending machine and sitting their whilst I got a litre in.

I don’t drink tea or coffee, so it’s my only source of caffeine.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Nope – years of meds has left me with a stomach than can’t tolerate the CO2 or clear it so I avoid it unless there really is no alternative.
    Hours of cramps from trapped gas is not nice.

scotroutes

The occasional Diet Coke. I prefer the taste to the full-fat version. Coke Life (the green one) is also quite palatable. I usually have a bottle in the car/van if I’m driving.

brakes
    Free Member

I used to drink it thinking it had magical medicinal qualities as someone told me that if I fell in the Solent and drank some of the water that I should have a can of Coke afterwards to stave off illness.
    I recently decided that was bull****
    apart from sugar – WT-actual-F is in Coke?
    if you can’t answer that, other than listing some chemicals, then maybe you shouldn’t drink it.

footflaps

Never touch the full fat stuff, but might have a diet coke once or twice a month.

apart from sugar – WT-actual-F is in Coke?

liquid diabetes

uselesshippy
    Free Member

I use the stuff to clean the bog. Seriously, it genuinely works a treat.

sandwicheater

Sparkling water with some cordial perhaps. Only time I get sugary pop is in the depths of a hangover.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The world’s greatest hangover cure. Directly from a chilled glass bottle.
    Accept no substitutes.

Got a patriotic tear of nostalgia in my eye just thinkin’ aboot it….(sniff)

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I always have cans of Diet Coke in the fridge at home, both Caffeinated and caffeine free for after 20:00. Mrs Wachowchow and myself drink far too much of it, but its nice so…

I don’t really drink alcohol at home unless we have guests.

legend
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Even as a Scot, Irn Bru is foul stuff.

You’ll get your citizenship stripped for that sort of chat

convert

The aspartame health debate seems to have come around again at the moment for all you diet coke fans.

Personally, no. I can’t recall the last time I drank the stuff.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m no a plastic Scot…

Ginger wine is the original Tartan Teeth rotter!

Solo
    Free Member

legend – Member

Can I have his membership? I’ve always wanted to be Scotlandish. I’ve perfected the accent and everything.
    Just haven’t got round to obtaining the mandatory, funny skirt yet.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

I don’t drink coke, irn-bru etc at all. I used to but stopped in my early 20’s, not sure why really. I have ginger beer now and again and the only fizzy drinks I have are mixers.

Keva
    Free Member

these days I don’t have anything fizzy out of cans, but I definitely remember drinking plenty this in the mid 80s…

jimjam
    Free Member

Until recently I drank a lot of it (coke or pepsi). A can a day at least anyway. Maybe two. Recently though I started to feel sick when I drank it. So stopped completely. Haven’t touched it in a fortnight but a friend offered me a drink of Dr. Pepper yesterday and I found it repulsive. Like licking a battery or something.

edhornby

Just cos everyone else does it – doesn’t make it ok

the amount of sugar in full fat coke is ridiculous, your teeth will be in a bad way and the insulin spike/crash is really bad for long term health because you get really hungry at the wrong times which breaks the healthy eating discipline

Diet coke provides exactly the same insulin spike/crash profile using sweetners

oh and by the way, there isn’t as much caffeine as you think, 25mg in a can, 60mg in a cup of instant, 80mg in a single espresso

can you tell how much I hate coke ??!!!? grrr rant soapbox

convert

these days I don’t have anything fizzy out of cans, but I definitely remember drinking plenty this in the mid 80s…

[video]https://youtu.be/_gTUshlWFG0[/video]

He’s even got a Morten Harket leather bracelet on.

budgierider67

I’m addicted to Morrisons carbonated peach water. No other brand or flavour will do. I can drink gallons of the stuff.

johndoh
    Free Member

I drink a bit of diet lemonade with sugar-free fruit juice in just (a tin a day at most though). I do it to stop me drinking beer.

If I am out and about or working hard in the garden I have the very occasional tin of coke but usually end up tipping half of it away once my thirst is quenched.

allan23
    Free Member

I call bullshit… based on the fact that as a diabetic who drinks diet coke\pepsi and have the blood glucose meter to prove the effect.

I can assure you diet coke has cock all effect on insulin and blood sugar 🙂

perchypanther
    Free Member

Can I have his membership? I’ve always wanted to be Scotlandish

Ye’ll need to pass a test first.

Q1. What is the correct generic term for Fizzy carbonated soft drinks of any flavour ?

a. “fizzy pop”
    b. “you know, like lemonade and coke and that?”
    c. “ginger”

Q2. What do you call the empty glass bottle which can be returned to the retailer for the return of a 20p cash deposit?

a. “a Gingie”
    b. ” a Hector”
    c. ” a Gless Cheque”
    d. ” a Rammy”

Q3. What is the correct term to use when requesting a small sample of your friends beverage?

“C’moan mate, Gie’s a …..

a. Swally
    b. Spilly
    c. Slug

Q4. World’s best Ginger ?

a. Irn-Bru
    b. Ba-Bru
    c. Boatle a’ Bru

If you answered anything but c. for Q1 you’re bombed out.
    All answers to Q2 ,Q3 and Q4 are acceptable…….’Mon in

ThePinkster

I don’t drink tea or coffee, don’t each much chocolate and drink very little alcohol these days so it’s various soft drinks most of the time for me, although in the office I just drink water most of the time.

Pepsi-Max is my favourite although I think that Aldi’s own version of it is OK too, but I don’t drink huge amounts, usually 500ml at the most in a day but often less.

I go for other soft drinks too, including making my own fizzy drinks with a bit of squash topped up with soda water. TBH I think I prefer this option most of the time because I can vary the flavours and it’s dirt cheap in relation to many of the branded drinks.

stumpy01

Never that bothered by it.

I do drink the odd can of coke quite often after a hard ride, if I am hungover or if it’s particularly hot outside.

Friend of mine is always buying the 500ml bottles of various fizzy drinks and gets through loads of it. I’d rather drink water most of the time.

pebblebeach
    Free Member

No it doesn’t. My son is diabetic, has been advised diet coke is fine to drink and blood tests prove that.

I’d be interested to see where you got that info from as its nonsense.

Northwind

I drink a lot of pepsi max… Good stuff.

edhornby – Member

Nope. Sweeteners attract pseudoscience like cake attracts cyclists. Though

pebblebeach – Member

No it doesn’t. My son is diabetic, has been advised diet coke is fine to drink and blood tests prove that.

In type 1s, coke and diet coke genuinely do produce the same insulin response, ie, none 😆 It’s a different issue.

allan23
    Free Member

Q1, Fizzy Juice.

Q2, I’ll have to ask the missus later.

Q3, Scoofie

Aberdeen is weird.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

One can of ginger beer every four weeks or so.

But I hears me all that there fizzy stuff is an evil re-verse tooth fairy what takes your teeth out and leaves you with less money. Not only! Then it go give yoo the diebeetus. And THEN for extra kicks it done gone boost the very minerals out from your innerselfs.

Seriously, if want to get off Coke/Pepsi just drink at room temperature – that’s the Real (TM) taste right there. Unmasking the taste by removing the brain-freeze temp does tend to reveal it’s true identity. Bleurgh.

unovolo
    Free Member

I normally get a bottle of San Pellgrino from Tesco’s but when I prefer a bit more flavour I usually go for the tinned limon variety as a token gesture to healthiness.

fasthaggis

I don’t drink fizzy drinks unless there is alcohol involved.

verses

Bregante – Member

I always had you down as a fanta man.

You know when you’ve been Tango’d, or in Bregante’s case, perhaps he doesn’t…

Mister-P
    Free Member

Q1. What is the correct generic term for Fizzy carbonated soft drinks of any flavour ?

a. “fizzy pop”
    b. “you know, like lemonade and coke and that?”
    c. “ginger”

When I worked a bar at T In The Park it was “juice”.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Fizzy drinks don’t seem to do what drinks are meant to, that is quench a thirst. So I’m not really sure what they are for. If I’m really thirsty it has to be a pint of cold semi skimmed milk, that does the job nicely.

DrJ

I normally get a bottle of San Pellgrino from Tesco’s but when I prefer a bit more flavour I usually go for the tinned limon variety as a token gesture to healthiness.

You’re joking, right? Check the label – that stuff has more sugar than Coke.

Probably equally unhealthy, I am currently addicted to Cawston’s rhubarb and apple fizzy pop. Lovely!!

perchypanther
    Free Member

When I worked a bar at T In The Park it was “juice”

So that’s what these crazy kids are calling ginger these days? Isn’t the constant evolution of language a delight? 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Cold drinks, namely fizzy pop….’ is closed to new replies.