Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cold Chicken legs
  • muddy247
    Free Member

Looking for a layer for winter under the shorts, not really a Lycra kinda guy but any suggestions to keep my chicken legs warm?! I wear knee pads aswell so must be comfy to wear pads over!

chakaping
    Free Member

If you won’t wear lycra tights, you might find something more acceptable here…

More manly alternatives

z1ppy

I’ve tried normal mtb ‘trousers’ & waterproof ones but they’re nasty & cold when they get wet or boil in the bag & then even colder. Lycra is perfect for the job, warm even when wet, and as your hiding them 😉 under short, what the issue? Come on really we all look stupid, let alone when covered in mud, use the material that perfect for our sport… you don’t need to use full length tights, as 3/4’s will & do the job unless it’s -10 (& look slightly less ‘special’)

pondo

This topic is not what I was hoping it would be. 🙁

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t like tights (I bought a pair, used them once – anyone want them?) so I wear merino leg warmers. But “under the shorts” you say? Surely lycra shorts are ideal for wearing under shorts?

mduncombe
    Free Member

for winter riding either on my road bike or MTB I wear some Endura unpadded bib longs with coolmax liners underneath. This means I can use the same bib longs on multiple rides just swapping the liners each time. They really are very comfy, very warm and you dont look as bad as you think you do. They are not wafer thin lycra but have a fleecy inner. Absolutely no point wearing baggy shorts over the top, they just get in the way.

something like these

Unpadded bib longs

although mine must be at least 10 years old.

muddy247
    Free Member

Ok point taken! It may have to be Lycra.

D0NK

roubaix knee warmers, I’ve had a couple of pairs of lusso ones, really good bit of kit. (you do need cycle shorts with leg grippers underneath your baggies to help keep em up tho)

You could try 3/4 length baggies but ones I’ve tried did my head in whilst trying them on in the shop never mind trying to pedal in them. Or if you wanna look more gnar you could always use some kyle strait knee pads or something.

muddy247
    Free Member

I do normally wear a padded Lycra short – unseen! So I suppose full length tight with a liner would be fine?

DezB
    Free Member

full length tight with a liner would be fine?

Can’t do them myself.

prawny

How about some of them 661 rhythm guards. I’ve got the elbow ones and they’re a bit warm normally I was after something cooler in the summer.

They’re pretty protective too for general trail riding. I had an off a couple of weeks ago and whacked my elbow but hardly felt it.

D0NK

Can’t do them myself.

how come? I’d assumed they were the most comfy option just a pita having to wash them after every ride (and cost a bomb getting several pairs if you ride frequently)

muddy247
    Free Member

Dezb- what size are your tights you don’t want? I’ve never tried them so don’t know if im better off with a liner or something to go over padded shorts

johnellison
    Free Member

Autumn/early Spring – padded 3/4 lengths with baggies over the top.

Winter – bibshorts with Endura Windtex bibtights, baggies over the top.

Toasty.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cold Chicken legs’ is closed to new replies.