Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Col de Joux Plane
  • Carpediem
    Free Member

Taking a long weekend with the Lads in Morzine in June, but want one day on the road. Been looking at the Col de Joux Plane as its right there..

How does this climb starting from Samoens compare to the Forrest section of Ventoux from Bedoin?

aP
    Free Member

Dunno. Its a reasonably tough climb, the descent into Morzine is fun, especially as the road should have been rebuilt by now. The drag back up to Les Gets always surprises me.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

If you can manage it do both Joux Plane and Col de la Colombiere, having done both I like Colombiere much better for the views, length, scenery etc.

Pridds

It’s harder! Found ventoux quite straightforward but joux plan had me in bits, was a hot day but the day we did ventoux was as well, but there is no cover on joux plan so you just fry.

nickc

it’s steeper from the get go…

pick your day, I did it on a very sunny and hot day(30 degs+), and it was pretty hard going.

ratcatcher

From memory would say it’s slightly steeper and unrelenting but all done in 11k nice coffee at the top
    Adding colombiere makes for a big day more reasonable is to take Ramaz on way to samoens

crazy-legs

Joux Plane is a proper pig. Did it on the Etape, it was the last climb of the three and hitting it at lunchtime it was baking hot and because it goes south to north, the sun was right on the riders backs. There were people flaked out all over the road, lying in any bit of shade they could find.

It is a nice climb though, the lake at the top is lovely. The descent into Morzine is very technical, watch your speed on the hairpins!

MSP

I remember it being harder than Ventoux, but I don’t remember that it should be from the terrain, just that I did it on a too hot a day and I was swarmed by horseflys (I was covered in bites by the end of the climb, the bastards were even biting me through my clothes).

me1tdown
    Free Member

I did it on the MTB this summer (so I could ride off road back down to Samoens obviously). It was pretty hard work, there’s not much shade! Pick the time of day carefully. It’s nice at the top, we stopped for some food in the cafe, which was average without being too expensive.

stevemtb
    Free Member

It is a nice climb though, the lake at the top is lovely. The descent into Morzine is very technical, watch your speed on the hairpins!

We got caught at the top of that descent first time out, probably 2006, when a storm rolled in. Lifts closed and approaching end of the day.

Decided to fire down the road (close to a river with the water running down it) on mountain bikes passing cars all the way down shortcutting hairpins on the dirt. Was one of most enjoyable descents ever, soaked to the skin but still able to stop and control the bike. Road bikes in those conditions would’ve been horrible. Massive grin on my face at the bottom. Then the sun came out and we were almost dry by the time we got to the chalet.

Would love to have a road bike out there if the holiday was long enough to need a day off the mtb.

Carpediem
    Free Member

Nice one all – So its more pain basically….

Thanks

funkrodent

Yup, mate of mine who is very fit on a roadbike also did it as the last climb on the etape this year. Says that he was in the most trouble that he’s ever been in, in terms of climbing on a bike. Not to be underestimated, it is after all hors categorie in the T de F..

sheck

the 1st 2 or 3km are as hard as any of them… was staying in Samoens last year, and the lack of warm up is a bit brutal. Otherwise it all hinges on whether you want to flog ypurself up it, or take it steady and admire the ever-improving view of Mont Blanc (weather permitting of course!)

Carpediem
    Free Member

Route Im looking at is through Les Gets, down to Taninges then over to the Climb – about 65K so will have a proper warm up before hitting the Hill. Have done Vontoux, Galiber, Duez last year so mentally I’m thinking more of the same…. Will deafo be going up hill at a relaxed pace….

dazh

It’s steep. 10-15% for significantly long sections, and the bits in between those don’t let up much. Descending it in a rain storm was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life.

Also go do the Col de la Ramaz on the other side of Les Gets, it’s pretty spectacular…

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Very tough. If it’s anything above 28 deg it’s also South facing so nowhere to hide in midday sun. Only other climb that was comparable for me was Hautacam

alexxx
    Free Member

My ex did it on the way back from Chamonix with little road training.. she was in bits and crying and is mentally super hard so I think you’ll be ok if you have grit and pace yourself!

As has been said it has little shade… I used to get tired wrists on the motorbike going up there and the road is pretty rough.

Can’t comment on it being resurfaced as I didn’t noticed when I went up to see the meteor shower this year.. but that’s probably a sign it has been mended which was long overdue!

pjm7
    Free Member

We’re in Morzine July/August and planning 2 days on road so intending to do Joux Plane and Col de la Colombiere, is the climb up from Morzine side good (I understand it’s slightly less brutal, but that doesn’t bother me either way), or am I best to get myself to Samoens and ride up that side?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have only ridden down off road on the MTB which involves one small flatsh uproad section and I can vouch for it being hot ! Sun beats down on the road. A fellow STWer’s wife did the climb on her touring bike. It’s a TdF climb so as a non roadie I would say do it the TdF way

The climb is on a few roadie sites with commentary, gradients etc

The view from the lake of Mont Blanc is stunning on a clear day, photo link below. The town centre of Samoens is very nice

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/sheldona/9278090046/in/set-72157634618088251/

alexxx
    Free Member

If I was to attempt it on the road bike I’d go the Morzine – Samoens direction as there is more shelter on the way up and descending into Samoens for a coffee is probably a nicer place to rest imo… I guess it depends where you are planning on staying though?

I don’t care about doing any TdF style staging just the route for the fun of it so not fussed on that for a direction

MSP

Route Im looking at is through Les Gets, down to Taninges then over to the Climb

That is the route I took, I was with a mate who weighs about as much as one of my arms, so on the flat between Taninges and Samoens I put the hammer down to try and put some pain in his legs before the climb, it was pointless and would have been better if I had just kept myself fresher.

aP
    Free Member

The road back up to Les Gets will be fairly grim, I’d go out to Samoens and come back over the Col.

Pridds

That’s pretty much the ride we did
    https://www.strava.com/activities/624577799

larkim
    Free Member

I wouldn’t over-egg the drag back into Les Gets, its nothing more than a gentle slope for a couple of miles.

aP
    Free Member

I’m not its just a horrid road.

larkim
    Free Member

True, it is a busy one. Nothing exceptional though.

ceepers

We did taninges to top of ramaz then turned round (road off the top in the other direction was shut this summer ) and rode back to samoens and up joux plane before descending all the way to the valley floor. Ride 3 of a 4 day trip

Ramaz was steep but ok, joux plane was hideous. Unrelentingly steep for over an hour. My mate got to the top and said it’s the hardest thing he’s ever done as an adult! It’s well do able if you get in the right mindset for suffering tho.

The descent into morzine is fun but I can imagine scary sketchy in the wet. The les gets bit is not hard it just comes at the end of a long day and drags.

The final descent back into taninges was really fun, just wide open. Saw the aftermath of a massive motorbike crash half way down though. Proper head first into a cliff face. I can’t imagine there was a happy ending!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

As an aside the Col Ecrenanz up from St Jean Alps / Morzine via Mont Caly (nice view) and down into Les Gets is said to be a nice ride

metalheart
    Free Member

If you boys are struggling on the Joux Plane then don’t bother with the Alpe!

A loop going over La Ramaz, the valley to Samoen then up the Joux Plane would be my choice (although La Ramaz is best done in opposite direction, the tunnel is dead weird!). If yer feeling fit, you can always nip up to Avoriaz for a cool down (but watch out for the goats on the descent).

Make sure you’ve the right gearing for it (I managed fine on a compact with 25 sprocket). From centre of Samoen to top of JP took me almost 1.5 hours though.

It’s steeper if you do it clockwise and I much preferred the Morzine descent.

metalheart
    Free Member

Looking at my notes, I did the col de l’Encrenaz, la Ramaz, Valee Vert (to Samoens) then up the JP and into Morzine. Pretty much around the 100 km. took ~five hours iirc.

I was based in St Jean D’Aulps. L’Encrenaz to Morzine and up to Avoriaz was also good, descent via the Jeux Verte(?) through the village with the goats. A good warm up ride I thought.

ceepers

I wouldn’t say I struggled but I definitely suffered!

I did it on a compact and a 28 in 65 mins from samoens. It beggars belief how the pros race up it!

metalheart
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say I struggled but I definitely suffered!

It’s definitely hard work!

It beggars belief how the pros race up it!

[cough]dope[/cough] 😉

crazy-legs

The Les Gets road that people have mentioned – we rode out that way after completing Etape and it was VERY busy with traffic but actually OK (just hot).

As a climb I quite liked it, it’s fairly gentle. There’s enough of a hard shoulder to be reasonably safe. Once you get into Les Gets, go through the town centre rather than round the ring road.

The descent into Taninges and then to Cluses is superb.

sheck

Definitely better to take the Encrenaz, foot of Ramaz from Morzine to Taninges than the Les Gets road

See below

Reckon it’s best done anti-clockwise… the Joux Plane is considered iconic from Samoens

https://www.strava.com/activities/653909629

tillydog
    Free Member

Half a dozen minor celebrities and a couple of princesses managed it (not without drama):

https://www.my5.tv/tour-de-celeb/season-1/episode-4

(About 11:40 for the route, about 25:00 for the climb)

[/trash-tv-content]

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you boys are struggling on the Joux Plane then don’t bother with the Alpe!

It’s been a while since I’ve ridden either, but I think the Joux Plane was tougher than the Alpe; that’s a fairly straightforward affair of just ticking off hair-pins as you go.

Another nice one in the area is the Forclaz (IIRC). THe descent from Les Gets to Taninges is a belter. Definitely worth doing.

egb81
    Free Member

I rode it a few years ago from the Samoen side, it’s pretty brutal. Took me an hour (the pros do it in half that). The worst bit it’s about half way in when the road ramps up to about 15% for What seems like hours but turns out to be only be about 1km. The horse flies at the top are pretty annoying as well.

The descent into Morzine seemed really steep and over in a matter of minutes. I’d recommend not heading straight onto the cat 1 climb to Avoriaz, I was seeing stars by the time I reached the top.

The Joux Verte climb (and descent) is great as well if you’re in the area. The col de Trechauffe is little known but really good as well.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The horse flies at the top are pretty annoying as well.

😐 plenty at the wooden cross (Bourgesoie) at the start of the MTB descent, I assumed it was the combination of lake and the cattle.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Col de Joux Plane’ is closed to new replies.