Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Coke & Fanta on Grand Tours / Long distance (road) races
  • Kryton57

So I kind of get the mid ride principal (sugar?), but why do some teams hand our Fanta at the end of the rides?

Surely there’s healthier ways to recover, so why not use all these sports recovery drinks, why coke and fanta?

cynic-al
    Free Member

the riders probably like it, and I’ve read that high GI is best after an event to replenish your stores quickly.

qwerty
    Free Member

mid ride principal (sugar?)

And caffiene to stimulate and assist in utilizing fats as fuel iirc.

Ed2001
    Free Member

After hours of vile energy drinks a little bit of fanta or coke makes a nice change I suppose.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

A cyclist and food scientist friend of mine sometimes takes cola as a recovery drink. But he’s extremely fussy about what he puts in his drinks bladder – avoiding synthetic sweeteners mainly.

jonba
    Free Member

I occasionally drink Coke after riding as a recovery drink. I don’t really like the drinks sold as recovery drinks. I understand the effects are dubious at best as well.

After a ride I want something cold, refreshing with a good kick of sugar to help me perk up a bit. Coke fits the bill pretty well and provides enough of a boost while I sort out eating something. It helps me “recover” in that it makes me feel better.

Coke isn’t that unhealthy. It is pretty much a small amount of flavouring, sugar and a few other bits and pieces in solution. Not massively different from your average gel, energy drink, fizzy drink. It get’s bad press but mainly because of other associated factors. It contains empty calories but for a pro rider that won’t be much of an issue. It contains less E numbers than an apple but that is another debate.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Coke & Fanta on Grand Tours / Long distance (road) races’ is closed to new replies.