Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Coil u-turn lubrication
  • eulach

I know sram say grease on the spring and 15ml of 15wt in the lowers, and the TFT guide says the same. However, there’s no seal between the uppers and lowers so the oil can effectively dissolve the grease leaving only sludge on the spring and no lubrication to the seals/lowers. Can I get away with just oiling the spring and sleeve or is there a non-soluable grease/oil combination? Please.

normski
    Free Member

Greasing the spring is to prevent rust. The volume of oil in the lowers is just enough to coat the inside surface of the lowers/bushes for lubruication purposes so its not really going to be migrating up inside the stanchion and washing the grease off the spring.
    Stick with Srams guidelines and you’ll be fine!
    More time in the saddle, less time worrying about whats going on inside your fork! 🙄

eulach

I was more concerned with the oil being absorbed by the grease and there not being any left for lubrication than I was about lack of grease on the spring. Anyway they’re all back together, I’ll see how they look in the summer.

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

I’ve noticed the same thing – you can certainly see where the grease on the spring has changed consistency and taken on the slight pinkness of the SRAM suspension oil.

To combat this (i.e. make sure there is enough lubrication on the bushes to prevent wear), I make sure the bushes/seals have grease put on them and have slightly increased the amount of oil I put into the lowers. With my 2012 Lyriks it was meant to 10ml of 15wt, so now I put in 15ml of 15wt and normally a couple of ml of heavier weight SRAM red rum fluid.

Whether this is going to help prevent wear or not, I don’t know, but it is no more effort really.

Perhaps other people have some different ideas.

martinxyz
    Free Member

If you add more down below it can cause other problems. I tried it a few times but found the fork making odd noises. Went back to the correct amount and it fixed the problem.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Coil u-turn lubrication’ is closed to new replies.