Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Coil springs – what grease?
  • BoardinBob

Swapping the spring in my Toras. What kind of grease for the spring? I’ve got a big tube of lithium grease. Will that do? No mention of grease type in the user manual.

retro83
    Free Member

doesn’t lithium eat rubber seals?

GW
    Free Member

You’re in Glasgow, eh? go to Mickey oats motorcycles, get a 1 litre tub of silkolene RG2 suspension fork grease for a fiver or so, way cheaper than MTB sus grease and better. while you’re at it get silkolene sus fork fluid there too (same deal)

steviewood1976
    Free Member

Avoid the Lithium grease at all costs!
    It’s not good for bikes

BoardinBob

Good shout.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Any old grease you’ve got hanging around, the thicker and gloopier the better. I don’t use ‘cycle specific’ lubes as a rule. I’ve got a tube of Silkolene from work. We use it in grease guns/autolubes to lubricate heavy plant bushings. Brilliant, but it gets everywhere!

BoardinBob

Any old grease you’ve got hanging around, the thicker and gloopier the better. I don’t use ‘cycle specific’ lubes as a rule. I’ve got a tube of Silkolene from work. We use it in grease guns/autolubes to lubricate heavy plant bushings. Brilliant, but it gets everywhere

That’s the type of grease I’ve got in the house and I’m sure it’s lithium grease.

Given that I used to lube 35 tonne Fiat Hitachi excavators with the same stuff, I’m fairly sure it would be ok on a bike!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Coil springs – what grease?’ is closed to new replies.