Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Coil shock, more preload or more HSC?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

I’m playing with spring rates at the moment, 450 and 500. I can run the 500 with just 1 turn of preload, and a quarter turn of HSC.

I can run the 450 with 2 turns of preload and about a turn of HSC.

What I’m struggling with is what actually equates to a more balanced shock performance? A lower spring rate, with more HSC and more preload?

Or a higher spring rate with lower HSC and lower preload?

So far I can get either a little bit too wallowy, or a little bit too active.

Cheers chaps

Ricks

tmb467
    Free Member

Do you need to change rebound damping when you change the coil?

I’d say 500 will be more “poppy” and from what I’ve read, a higher rate could be used for more “jumpy” stuff whereas a lower one would be less so

rickon
    Free Member

Yep, you’d want to increase LSR and HSR when increasing spring rate – if you didn’t touch HSC or LSC.

Where I’m struggling is what effect preload actually has on the stroke.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tmb467
    Free Member

Preload just allows you to set the sag properly – your weight on its own might not be enough to give the sag figure you want on a spring that is capable of supporting the travel intended

Adding preload allows you to adjust the force applied to the spring so that when your weight is added, you get the right sag. Many different spring rates & pre load combinations will allow you to get the right sag…the question then is how will the spring support you through the travel and how well does the shock need to be damped

tmb467
    Free Member

And really – if I was setting the sag, the compression and rebound values wouldn’t come into it

Compression damping (if you’ve got the right spring and preload) shouldn’t be too high for regular every day riding

poah
    Free Member

Depends on what you are trying to achieve? Is it bottom out control as preload won’t affect that.

rickon
    Free Member

Yeah, to get a plush feel without bottoming out is proving difficult.

So… Preload won’t affect bottom out?

I’m assuming that I either need more HSC or a higher spring rate.

The riding I do is generally steep, rooty and muddy. Barely anything to Huck.

So… Does that mean I don’t want to be storing energy in the spring, rather dissapting it through more HSC?

tmb467
    Free Member

I’d be ok with a coil bottoming out – it’s not an air shock so you don’t get that progression at the end

I ran an XFusion Vector HLR which allowed you to alter the IFP pressure and volume independently and gave a bit of control over the bottom out. I’d also be looking to play with the HSR to make sure you weren’t getting packed down after you bottom out

tmb467
    Free Member

And also to add – what frame is it on, and how does the leverage curve look at the end? May be that the frame isn’t really right for a coil shock so although you can get a coil that’s plush through the travel, there’s no support at the end.

Again – preload doesn’t affect that

rickon
    Free Member
    poah
    Free Member

have you actually accurately measured sag?

also remember that more HSC will affect how it reacts over roots

I ran a 400lb with three turns of preload but prefer the shock with a 450lb spring and very little preload. I probably bottom out but I’ve never actually felt it.

rickon
    Free Member

Yep, measured sag as (e2e – sagged length) / stroke

Get ~30% with 500 at almost no turns

Get ~30% with 450 at around 2.5 turns.

poah
    Free Member

that’s not how you measure sag. take the difference of i2i length (19mm for me) and divided by stroke x 100. so for me that’s (19/63)x100 = 30.1%. If I do it your way I get 31.2.

lardman
    Free Member

Sag is a static measurement, and would not be affected by any damper settings.
    To find the right spring weight is more about leverage ratio and your weight.

most coil shocks should not need much compression damping, but a small amount of HSC will allow you to use a spring that is not EXACTLY right for your weight. IE: if the spring is too light for you, more compression damping aids in the spring slowing at the end of it’s stroke.

The LSC damping circuit (if there is one) is only about taming the spring for less ‘bobbing’ if that sort of thing concerns you. With a coil shock, most of the usefull tweaks are in the rebound circuit.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Coil shock, more preload or more HSC?’ is closed to new replies.