• This topic has 14 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Coil shock – is this stroke ok?
  • hora
    Free Member

Currently looking at secondhand ti springs for a 216*53 shock that comes with a 500*2.35 steel spring on it.

Using TF/mojo the 500 weight is right for me.

I’ve seen 2.75*500 and 2.85*500 ti springs for sale,would this be ok?!!

Onzadog
    Free Member

The stroke measurements are okay but check the free length.

khani
    Free Member

That ^^^ if it’s too long to fit the preload ring you’re stuffed..

mtbel
    Free Member

there’s a good chance a 500lb x 2″ stroke Ti spring will work out fine for you too.
    Ti coils are generally less tightly wound so there is more free space when compressed. Obviously check free length will fit and that you don’t require lots of pre-load. It’ll be lighter (assuming this is part of your reasoning behind choosing Ti) and in theory, slightly less durable. but in practice I’ve found doing this fine. I’m still running the 2.5″ stroke Ti spring I fitted to my 3″ stroke DHX 5 years ago with no problems and have previously snapped FOX steel springs.

LoCo
    Free Member

Stroke of shock is 2.09″ so you need a spring of over that number which will be a 2.25″ or 2.35″ which is how some companies label them.
    The issue with running a spring with stroke of less that that of shock is it becoming coil bound I.E the spring bottoming out before the shock does.
    Which in worst case will snap/shear the eyelet meaning your shock falls in half which as you can imagine is less than ideal, so I’d ignore the above post ^ 😉 But I’m guessing you know that anyway…

mtbel
    Free Member

checked that Loco. mine’s nowhere near coil bound when compressed 3″. obvs. check this first by measuring the free space between coils.

LoCo
    Free Member

Strange design spec. to have an extra 1/2″ of travel available 😕

Spring binding can also be caused by over preloading coil springs too, usually involve mole grips 😉 as an aside.

hora
    Free Member

I’d love to buy a new ti spring but funds..

Ok will keep a casual lookout for 500*2.0/2.25 cheers 😀

mtbel
    Free Member

it’s an older Manitou Ti spring Loco. if you remember they were one of the lightest Ti springs available at the time due to far less coil winds than many others.
    but measure the free space between most Ti springs and you’ll find more space to compress than the equivalent steel spring.
    without doubt there’s slightly more risk of failure from over compression but that’s no biggie. like I said, had it happen with the correct stroke steel springs.

LoCo
    Free Member

I’d suggest a 2.25″ minimum Hora.

hora
    Free Member

Cheers, 2.5 too far? (to open up options). I need to buy new discs and pads for my car this month as well 🙁

LoCo
    Free Member

Maybe a touch long, depends on the spring spec. New Cane creek steel springs are £25, and fit on fox shock, what bike’s it on? 215mm/8.5″ shock are usually 63mm/2.5″ stroke.

hora
    Free Member

Its a on sale shock 216*53 Fox DHX RC2 from bike-discount,de

I figure I’ll lose abit of travel but not a bad thing?

Frames a SC Butcher 216*63

LoCo
    Free Member

2.5″ spring will be fine on that then 😀

hora
    Free Member

Cheers for your help chaps 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Coil shock – is this stroke ok?’ is closed to new replies.