Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • coil shock in an Enduro?
  • brakes
    Free Member

are there any coil shocks which would fit an 06 Enduro?

this one

adstick
    Free Member

you can get a 222mm (think that’s what it is, yours is shorter I believe) DHX5, and probably a VanillaR if you ask Mojo to build you one. You need to use the ‘low’ shock shuttle though.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

coil dhx?

brakes
    Free Member

the concern is not the length but if it will fit through the split seat tube

racing_ralph
    Free Member

what is the i2i and stroke length?

adstick
    Free Member

yes it will, you need to be a bit careful of a piggyback shock. On some enduros a DHX5 with the bottom out wound out will fowl on the front of the seattube.

adstick
    Free Member

And, I’ve just remembered, a mate of mine has a Rocco on his.

Matt-P
    Free Member

I’ve had one and tried a couple of shocks in it after repeated stick down with the DHX air. MOJO or TF tuned are your best bet, MOJO did me a Pushed Fox Van which was nice, but couldn’t get the tune quite right for me. Sold that and got a DHX coil from Mojo, they fitted a 1/4″ plastic washer to the shaft to prevent bottom out from fouling the piggy back air valve.

Never had a moments trouble after that and the bike rode like a dream – but do have to use the low shuttle.

brakes
    Free Member

shock is 8.5 x 2.5

cheers adstick, there are a few pics of enduros with DHXs knocking around
    the piggyback fouling is a bit of a concern

thanks Matt, I only have one shuttle – not sure which one it is… don’t suppose you can tell from the picture? it says high BB on it.

adstick
    Free Member

I’ve sorted the fouling issue on a couple of bikes with a plastic schraeder cap rather than the stock metal one. 🙂

You have a high shuttle I think, it will say on it. I can probably find you a short shuttle.

Matt-P
    Free Member

Unfortunately the one you need is the Low BB one…

Fortunately I’ve got a spare! If you go ahead with the shock change and need one then give me a shout.

(With the High one the shock coil can contact the frame, with the low one the only risk is the air cap – hence the slight travel reduction or solution adstick suggests)

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

given that the frame is basically the same as an SX trail then you should be able to. Here’s my SX with coil shock through the split seat tube

geetee1972
    Free Member

This is a well documented retro fit. The eye to eye length is not a problem – there are plenty of shocks with 222mm eye to eye. The problem is the stroke, which at 2.5 is a little unusual. The way you solve this is by blocking off the last .25″ of stroke on a 2.75″ model, using a large plastic washer between the spring and the retention collar. You can either do this yourself or you can get mojo to supply you one with the washer installed.

The issue of the valve cap on Fox DHX coil damper fowling was mostly constrained to older (3 years plus I think) versions of that damper where the valve cap stood proud of the piggy back.

You could also get a Cane Creek to fit as they are all made to measure anyway.

steve_b77
    Free Member

OT – But if the above bike is yours GeeTee, it’s proper nice

coolhandluke
    Free Member

GEE TEE, what chain thing has your bike got Stinger by any chance?

antennae
    Free Member

Recently contacted TF about this and Tim said:

“the only contender is the fox dhx coil 222×63 (special build)”

geetee1972
    Free Member

Thanks Steve – it is mine but it has seen some changes over the last two years.

The original chain device was an MRP long range patrol but I could never get it set up so that it didn’t derail the chain in the granny ring. I largely solved the problem by ditching the granny ring and putting an e13 32 Special on instead.
    I also retrofited a shorter eye to eye and stroke shock from an 06 Enduro to reduce the travel. It also dropped the BB a little and reduced the weight (along with the uber light wheels) to just over 30lbs.
    This bike absolutely rails now.

psychle
    Free Member

are they traversees?

brakes
    Free Member

thanks guys, sounds like it’s possible then

anyone know where I can get hold of the low BB shuttle?

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Enduro 1

DHX 5 works just fine, and a rocco rc fits too 😀

Oh and the BB shuttles are approx. £40 each from Spesh UK, or look for one on the classifieds

brakes
    Free Member

£40!

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I asked my LBS to order me one to see how different it would be from the low position. Then they rang spesh UK to check and said it was £40 so I thought better of it!

brakes
    Free Member

It’s ok, I’ve found one second-hand.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘coil shock in an Enduro?’ is closed to new replies.