• This topic has 23 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Spud.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Coil Pikes, what spring do you use and how heavy are you?
  • Spud

Excuse the personal question but I know there is a guide on the SRAM www, but I’m curious about which spring to run being around 12.5 stone in my riding kit?

Ta

julianwilson
    Free Member

13.5 stone in my riding kit and i use a firm. I had an x-firm on my ‘play’ bike’s pikes though.

grumm
    Free Member

16 stone, more with riding kit – firm. Tried an x-firm and never got anywhere near full travel.

scaredypants

14 and a bit – firm. not tried x-firm. not a very jumpity rider either.

grumm
    Free Member

I do jump and drop btw but nothing big.

doug_basqueMTB.com

82kgs in nowt but my nat king and just snapped a standard spring (med) so waiting for my firm to arrive!

Spud

Ta, I’m around 77kg in all the kit. There’s a firm in now and a push down (not on bike) and they go nowhere near full travel. I might stick the standard in and see.

grumm
    Free Member

Wow never heard of anyone snapping the spring before!

fivespot
    Free Member

14st std. med spring. I have tried the firm, but prefer med. They get a good thrashing on my Hustler and never bottom out.

grumm
    Free Member

I can’t push down on mine to get full travel, but I do on bigger hits on the bike.

martinhall
    Free Member

13.5 stone, firm works for me

Simon

I’m 12.5 stone and find the medium spring fine.

doug_basqueMTB.com

fivespot, on your hustler and not bottoming out the med spring? I’ve got them on the hustler too. You must have some serious skills! Or I could just be a clumsy oaf… 🙂

grumm, yeah apparently it happens but isn’t common or a known problem or anything. I bottom my forks out a bit (not all the time or anything)so should really have got the firm spring from the start.

Spud

Sounds like I might be tinkering later.

retro83
    Free Member

85-ish kg and running x-firm. Get 20 – 25% sag, bottom once or twice per ride.

With the firm I was on the bottom out bumper most of the way down aston hill’s red DH trail (just standing up uses about 50% of the travel). Have to run a lot of LSC to dial out savage brake dive too.

I think their must be quite a bit of variation between springs as most people my weight seem to be running firms or mediums.

GW
    Free Member

14st X-firm.

can bottom them easily, but don’t in use.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Nice Gulley shot…

14.5st X-Firm here, get full travel a fair bit on most rides

grumm
    Free Member

Btw does it make much difference whether you are on a hardtail or not, or the geometry of the bike? Mine is pretty slack so maybe there is more weight on the back and the fork is less likely to get bottomed out?

I just find it weird that I am 16 stone and could never get an x-firm anywhere near full travel – I”m a fairly clumsy rider too…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

IOnteresting. I must take mine apart to check – I bought them second hand. I thought it was the stock spring but at 12 stone I don’t get teh last 30 mm of travel. Whilst not the gnarliest of riders and “riding light” I do jump and drop on the bike

Jamie
    Free Member

10st 12lbs in me tighty whiteys. Medium standard spring.

fivespot
    Free Member

doug_basqueMTB.com………… serious skils I WISH. I’m not a big jumper. They are Pushed, whether that makes any difference on the compression stroke to resis tblowing through travel !!

I do like my bike on the plush side due an old collar bone injury.

OrangeChammy
    Free Member

12.5 stone exactly – use a firm (medium is way too soft).

Firm is on the soft side of supple… just the way I like it!

An x-firm would also work and would be a good choice if you prefer not to use all the travel most of the time.

Del

just under 12st average fully clothed and gone to firm on my orange 5. once i found i could bottom them with medium i could do so at will. firm feels lovely. using travel now and again but haven’t ‘clunked’ yet, despite some pretty ham-fisted landings.
    oddly my inbred running revs is fine as standard…

Spud

Fitted the medium, so will see how I go. Can alway fit the firm later!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Coil Pikes, what spring do you use and how heavy are you?’ is closed to new replies.