• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Coil pikes: spring weight
  • nbt

Hi all

thinking of buying some coil pikes. Anyone know what weight they're sprung for as standard? I'm only 11st, don't really want to have to start changing springs if I can help it. The standard spring in the original fox forks was perfect for me, but then fox forx came with alternative springs as standard. Current forks are dual air so can be tuned…

cheers

Hooter
    Free Member

I think they say the medium is for c. 12 stone, but that setting is based on having the forks a little soft. I'm 12-13 stone and have just gone from medium to hard springs, which was a noticable improvement. At 11 stone, you'll prob be ok with the standard medium spring.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Interestingly I am 12 stone and find the standard spring a bit hard.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I'm 12 st and find the medium spot on and the firm a bit too hard/harsh.

Del

we did do this a few weeks ago. anyway. firm in my pikes on FS, standard in revelations on HT. 12st.

flyingmonkeycorps

13stish and I use the standard in my Pikes. Only just got 'em mind, I may try the firm at some point, although the standard feels lovely and plush and I've not managed to bottom it.

hora
    Free Member

Hi nbt, this may help. I was looking at set up tips with the Lyrik coil on mtbr and a few users noted that you dont need to go up in weight to Rockshox's actual recommendations.

Ive gone from the Xfirm (15.5stone) back to the standard for now but the jist is go one down on Rockshox's recommendations for your weight. Im trying to find the actual thread but struggling!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I do wonder if the springs vary as bit seeing as people have such different experiences of them -( from the previous thread) Mine just don't bottom out no matter what I do – OK I ain't going off the biggest drops but I don't get the last 30 mm of travel

grumm
    Free Member

tried medium, firm and x-firm (16 stone) – firm is definitely right for me, though way out on Rockshox recommendations.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I foud the medium spring too soft in my pikes, but the medium spring just right in the Rev's.

According to TF tuned the Pike spring is good for 12st max, where as the Rev spring is good for 13st.

BigDummy
    Free Member

10 stone, standard spring feels fine to me.

nbt

thanks all. will give them a whirl and see how they go 😀

hugorune

I've just wasted 20 mins of my life searching for "pike springs" in the forum. The concensus opinion is that you need a heavier spring because you don't need a heavier spring 🙁
    So lets say for example a rider was 15 1/2 and had just bought a set of coil Pikes with an extra firm spring. He's getting 20mm of sag – so not enough really but according to the SRAM site the X-firm is recomended for over 85kgs and i'm the rider is 97kgs. If he swaps to a firm spring instead is there going to be too much sag and a lot of bottoming out? Anyone out there a similar weight (15 1/2 stone) and riding a firm spring?

grumm
    Free Member

I weigh 16 and a bit stone and I have the firm spring – had the x-firm but never got anywhere near full travel.

freeridenick
    Free Member

11.5 here and standard spring. I run the compression half way so this stops the initial dive in the forks. lovely and plush 🙂

hugorune

Balls – do you think there's anyone wanting to swap a firm for an etra firm spring out there?

benjag
    Free Member

I've got the x-firm, 100kg plus kit and run ~20mm sag, fine for me and only bottom out on 1m+ drops.

hora
    Free Member

nbt- bike outlet are selling the 426's for £294 if you havent found any yet?

nbt

Cheers but CRC are selling 426s for £279, ordered a pair this afternoon. In black, to match the new frame, too, rather than silver. CRC ones come with pushloc, which TBH I'm not bothered about (as I'm not really sure I understand what it is!)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Coil pikes: spring weight’ is closed to new replies.