Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Coil Pike prob after spring change
  • rich-6
    Free Member

Ive just fitted a new firm spring to my pikes following TFTs instructions they sent me off their site.

Took old spring out as its too soft and it had no noises while in use, While refitting my new spring i had to take the rubber o ring off the old spring and put it on the new one (not sure if this should have been there but its on again now)

Refitted the shock back on my bike and when i compress the fork 20mm theres a clunk which wasnt there before, Ive put plenty of grease around the moving part on the spring for the uturn and made sure the spring got an even coat of grease

Anyone else suffered the same problem and how did you overcome it? I’m not sure where i could have gone wrong but dont want to ride them in fear of buggering them up

steve_b77
    Free Member

I changed mine a couple of weekends ago for the firm spring.

Do you ensure the spring shaft was seated correctly when you tightened up the allen bolt at the bottom? If it’s not seated right that could be the clunk.

Did you x thread the 24mm cap when you put it in, possibly not securing the spring correctly into the fork leg?

rich-6
    Free Member

Guarantee the 24mm isnt crossthreaded it went in with no fuss the first few turns by hand.

I’l try releasing the 5mm and reseating the shaft to see if it goes away, If that doesnt cure it i’l be totally lost

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    steve_b77
    Free Member

DOes sound a little weird, if the bolt thing don’t work give TFT another call in t’mornin’

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Is the u-turn in a ‘middle’ setting? Try winding it all the way out or in and having another bounce. It’s possible the mechanism is a loose fit in the spring…..

retro83
    Free Member

rich-6 – Remove the spring, see if the shaft is straight*. I had two x-firms in a row from TFTuned which were bent half way down. I couldn’t be arsed to wait for them to swap it again, and it’s been fine. It clunked and crunched when it was bent though.

* lay it on a flat surface and roll it.

retro83
    Free Member

Doh let me correct that again:

I couldn’t be arsed to wait for them to swap it again, *so I straightened it in a vice* and it’s been fine. It clunked and crunched when it was bent though.

rich-6
    Free Member

Cheers for the help folks, Ive took it all apart again, Ive reseated the shaft and nipped up with the 5mm allen key and fitted the 24m top cap

wait for this wound the rebound right off cranked it back up to full travel, clunk is still there at 20mm I added some rebound its still there, However somewhere theres a tiny bit of play, Ive adjusted the u-turn nob 2 clicks to lower the fork, which looks like 1mm 😉

The clunk went, *Scratches head* guess the spring must be a little short, It never made a difference the first time though. Il give it a few rides to bed in and add a bit of oil because you lose a bit taking the spring out and see what its like after that, Bikes much better now though my sags at 20% and not 35% 😆 Shorter stem this weekend and hopefully my back prob will be sorted too

Result 😀 Quick blast to work on Wednesday on it for a few steps, kerbs etc and recheck the caps and I should be ready for a weekend ride

Edit: Peter you was right, jaffa cake in the post 😉

steve_b77
    Free Member

Good to see you got it sorted.

I do hope you agree that they feel much better once you fit the correct spring, firmer but just as plush once you get the rebound setting right.

I’m going to get one of those motion control units to drop in the right leg, so I can have a play with that. I like it on my Revs so it should be good on teh Pikes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Coil Pike prob after spring change’ is closed to new replies.