Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Coil or new RP23
  • freeridenick
    Free Member

Looking to upgrade my rear shock to something from plush on my Remedy (older model) and having read about the boost valve on the new RP23 is this the way forward? Will I get a more "coil like" ride than my swinger 3 way which you need to run super saggy to get any travel, but then you blow through it all to quick. Or will i really need to go down the coil route? anyone have experience of the new rp23?

grantway
    Free Member

Orange had told me that when you buy the New Booster valve RP23
    is to ask MOJO to put the correct valve to your weight.
    Which is ment to be close to having the shock TFT Tuned.

Regarding Coil the RP23 is ment to be better or same performance
    with less weight.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Regarding Coil the RP23 is ment to be better or same performance
    with less weight.

Hmm, not sure I or many others would agree with you there. I think the gap is closing, but no way are we at a point where air springs are better than coil springs in terms of performance. Sure they weigh less but that's not the only measure of performance.

si-wilson
    Free Member

IMO go coil, the boost valve is OK, but coil is far better. If you can afford it go for a CCDB, or failing that a new Van coil (RC4? )will be fine.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

rp23 defo

freeridenick
    Free Member

what is a CCBD?

mk1fan
    Free Member

CCBD could be anything, CCDB is Cane Creek Double Barrel

pinches
    Free Member

cane creek double barrel, they are amazing. but, £550 steel spring, £770 ti spring

freeridenick
    Free Member

mm, slightly high pricetag on the Double Barrel. seems there is a split here on coil/air.

pinches
    Free Member

you can get much cheaper coil shocks, like an RC4/dhx for example.

freeridenick
    Free Member

yes – the VAN-R is only 210 which seems pretty good? mine is 200*50 – not available in the RC4 or DHX4.0

mk1fan
    Free Member

The Van R is now available in all sizes. Get it custon valved upon purchase and you've got, for all intents and purposes, a DHX 5.0.

freeridenick
    Free Member

mk1fan, so get it pushed?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I did that (pushed van r) and got a ti spings off here 🙂
    compared to the rp23 it pisses all over it!

coogan
    Free Member

I've got a new DHX4 with a ti spring on my DW 5 Spot. Its flippin' lush. But then I'm a sucker for a coil shock.

mandog

If your handle indicates the kind if riding you do then a coil is what you want. Save the money you'd pay for a DHX5.0 or CCDB and splash it on a TFT'd Van R and Ti spring – nice.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did you already get your existing air shock Pushed?

Might be worth considering if not. The first thing I thought when I tried one was "this feels like a coil shock" and the performance improvement over my standard Float R is amazing.

freeridenick
    Free Member

chapa, only got a manitou swinger so can't do anything with it. Sounds like I am going to get a pushed VAN-R.

mandog, big mtn riding, ie chamonix, verbier, snowdon, etc etc. dont mind a bit of extra weight if its worth it!

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Coil all the way. Swapped and HV RP23 for a pushed DHX5 on my Titus. No comparison for plushness and control. Bit heavier mind, but a few grams makes now difference.

metalheart
    Free Member

its got to be coil new DHX 4.0 (cheaper than an rp to):

less you wanna go real pimp then RC4

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

the new rp23 is something else. works a treat too http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Fox-32-FIT-cartridge-RP23-Boost-Valve-2009.html

grantway
    Free Member

But is the new RP23 That much better than the say 08 RP23?
    I did consider getting a Vanila coil shock but no pro pedal
    The coil shock looks more Hardcore 😀

kamina
    Free Member

I did not feel the new RP23 to be that much better then the 08 model I had on my previous bike. The boostvalve mainly affects the end of the stroke so you don't bottom out.

Of course this will largely depend on the frame, and how well the fork is tuned for it (and for your weight and riding style). I have heard others say the 2010 model was far better, but as far as I'm aware Push actually removes the boost valve if they get their hands on a 2010 fox. I would guess the real reason people prefer the 2010 model to the older ones is that it happens to have a better tune for their application (HV vs. LV / correct compression / rebound tune etc).

I got one on my Intense Tracer a week ago but already ordered a pushed van r from tftuned…

Dirtynap
    Free Member

Why not go for a DHX air.

The CCBD is worth the money, they are the best shock you will find. They really are in a different league to FOX.

RepacK
    Free Member

The new RP23 is a big improvement on the old one for sure but its still basically a XC orientated shock. I doubt it woulde be upto anything DH etc.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Coil or new RP23’ is closed to new replies.