Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Coil or air. replacement shock. . 5 inch do everything bike?
  • angryratio
    Free Member

Budget of approx 200.
    Looking at the likes of a Van R coil, or, float R air.
    To replace the Roco tst air which i just don’t get on with and despite muchos fiddling it’s constipated.

It’s 190 x 50 on a mountain cycle single pivot (fury)

stooo
    Free Member

Only air shock worth looking at is an RP23 for my money…

However, if you’re doing a lot of techy fast descending then a coil is well worth a look. Van Rs are great, especially if tuned for your bike.

I run an RP23 on my short travel bike (SC Superlight) but a coil on my Bullit… still climbs great, adds weight, but well worth it on the descents.

retro83
    Free Member

2010 rp23 boost valve shocks are rubbish imho. Completely different to the pre boost valve ones.

I’d get a pushed float r from tf tuned, or a coil shock.

stooo
    Free Member

Have to admit that I’m on pre-boost RP23s… I do remember speaking to Tim at TF and him saying he’d recommend the old RP23 over the new one too. Certainly worth giving them a shout, they’re super helpful.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

you won’t get a float R in that size from TFT – not even sure if mojo do it in that size.

angryratio
    Free Member

Thanks for that Scienceofficer. Further to that i’ve had a response from mojo who say the van r is discontinued.
    The RC takes over effectively. Bit miffed in a way as it’s a price hike as well for a compression adjustment i don’t really want.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

😥

z1ppy

My BV Rp23 is ace, replaced a non-BV RP23 I was borrowing and is much better feel, IMO of course.
    The TF Tuned techy made no mention of anything when they sold me my BV shock, and I was asking about all the options: RP23, Van R, DHX 4 or even the choice of a CCDB (and whatever coil shock there were selling at the time BOS?).

You can’t go to wrong with any of the fox line IMO (except the old DHX air shocks apparently), coil for anything ‘big’, or air for everything else. Either the Float or Van would be great, try and squeeze an extra £30 for the push tune to get the best out fo them.

Scienceofficer, they list a 190×50 Float R on the TF site & mojo as a 7.5′ x 2.0′.

Edit: I’m going by the websites.. haven’t spoken to them.

StuE
    Free Member

Might be worth having a look here http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138 and here http://www.mountaincycle.com/thegarage/ I have an 05 Fury and am still running the 5TH Element coil that it came with, haven’t tried anything else so can’t help with regard to the Fox air and coil, but I am thinking of trying something else but it would still be a coil shock.

retro83
    Free Member

z1ppy – Member

My BV Rp23 is ace, replaced a non-BV RP23 I was borrowing and is much better feel, IMO of course.
    The TF Tuned techy made no mention of anything when they sold me my BV shock, and I was asking about all the options: RP23, Van R, DHX 4 or even the choice of a CCDB (and whatever coil shock there were selling at the time BOS?).

But the older RP23 might have needed damper oil/nitrogen replacing or had a different tune.

To expand on my previous post, my BV RP23 had the following characteristics which I didn’t like:
    [*]Harsh over small bumps even when run excessively soft – poor traction when climbing[/*]
    [*]Mushy midstroke, lacking enough support to control the suspension for example when riding a bermed corner[/*]
    [*]Harsh on mid to large impacts when at speed[/*]

I tried hard to like it, as it cost me a lot and I’m a pov but in the end I had to get it Pushed to sort it out.

I think my experience above aligns with this paragraph from Fox’s blurb:

The BV, however, is position-sensitive; the BV’s damping response varies throughout the shock’s stroke. At the beginning of the stroke, the BV is closed to assist with platform performance. Then during the mid-stroke, the BV opens up to provide supple performance on small to mid-sized hits. On larger hits, the BV begins to close as the shock passes through 75% of its travel in order to increase compression damping during the last 25% of the stroke to help prevent harsh bottom-out. The BV adds another level of tuneability to the RP23, as manufac-turers can spec a BV pressure that best matches the spring rate
    characteristics and desired ride qualities of any given suspension bike, in addition to the velocity-sensitive compression and rebound tuning.

Maybe on some types of bike or for some types of rider it works better ❓

z1ppy

But the older RP23 might have needed damper oil/nitrogen replacing or had a different tune.

No it was relatively new, used on a m8’s 2nd bike. Hey i’m no expert, just felt loads better than the non-BV one.

What have you done to this thread? (layout)

Edit: now my post looks even fricken weirder…

angryratio
    Free Member

StuE cheers for that..
    i don’t expect to get much help from the guys at mc as i bought it off crc.. oh well, however, one of the bikes they take round trade shows does seem to be sporting fox kit.

retro83
    Free Member

z1ppy – Member
    What have you done to this thread? (layout)

Edit: now my post looks even fricken weirder…

Dunno! I was trying to put in bullet points using the LI button … fail!

Bregante

I’ve just fitted a van rc to my Enduro sl and I have to say that I am stunned at how much better the bike now feels. The old specialized shock used to blow through it’s travel and squatted down under power but despite the extra weight the bike definitely climbs better than before and the whole back end now feels stiffer. On descents there is simply no comparison. I’ve never had a coil shock before but I am definitely a convert now and would consider fitting one on any full sus bike of 140mm travel or above.

StuE
    Free Member

My Fury

IMG_3376 by StuE1, on Flickr pity Mountaincycle didn’t develop it further like Orange did with the 5

stevede
    Free Member

If you don’t mind an extra pound in weight then go for a coil, if you would rather the weight saving then an rp23 or pushed float r. Personally i have a 2011 van rc with ti spring on my five which is a very good shock and has totally transformed the handling of the five in comparison to the rp23 it replaced which when set up with the right amount of sag blew through too easily and when more air was put in to compensate it was too harsh and skipped around rather than tracking the ground.
    I have kept the air can and do occassionally still use it for longer days in the saddle but for most of the time the van rc stays on.
    Either shock will compromise you in some ways but be honest with your intended use and requirements and go from there.

angryratio
    Free Member

Mine ! 🙂 Loving the orange owntastic bombers StuE

Cheers for advice on coils folks..

think is gonna be coil.

carbon337
    Free Member

Steved what’s the weight difference between a rp23 and a van Rc with ti spring? I’d like a coil on my five to match the lovely coil lyriks.

stevede
    Free Member

Carbon337 – With the ti spring it’s 1lb heavier according to my kitchen scales – well worth the sacrifice though IMO. How do the lyriks suit your five? Currently running pikes 454’s but wouldn’t mind slackening it off a touch as i use it for dh as much as everyday trail riding.

carbon337
    Free Member

Steve – I really like them and the uturn means i never have an issue with being too slack.

there was a thread on here the other day about them : here

Havent noticed the extra weight and I’m running a softer spring than recommended meaning they are really plush and smooth but at same time I’m not using full travel.

Any pics of the van rc on the five?

stevede
    Free Member

Here you go mate:

Obviously this was taken in the summer – the larsen rear tyre now in hibernation for at least 6 months and replaced with a high roller!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Coil or air. replacement shock. . 5 inch do everything bike?’ is closed to new replies.