• This topic has 36 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Dino.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Coil on the rear + or – coil forks =
  • oxnop
    Free Member

Just ordered a chumba VF2(from simon @ progressive bikes) with a Cane creek double barrel rear shock. I currently have the choice of using the forks off my gf's blur LT2 (2010 rev team 120-150) which do seem pretty plush and then replace her forks

Or

let her keep those forks and I buy some coil forks

does anyone have any experience of running a coil rear with an air fork, I just don't want to buy her a new fork and then I end up wanting a coil fork.

Help please.!.

Rocketdog36
    Free Member

You like Heavy bikes ?

oxnop
    Free Member

Nope. Weight is relative though.

My target weight for this build is around 30lbs which is perfectly achievable using the parts I've taken off my Five and bought with with this build in mind.

Thinking about it this morning though I think I've decided on the "nick the forks off the GF" idea and I'll buy her some 140 revs as she has never touched the uturn function!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Rocketdog36 – Member
    You like Heavy bikes ?

Have a dump before you ride if you're that stressed about the added grams.

mikey74
    Free Member

I have it the other way around at the moment i.e. air shock and coil forks, and it doesn't seem to be a problem. Personally speaking I wouldn't go back to air forks as coils are so much plusher and much more reliable. Get some coil Lyriks :mrgreen:

By the way: How much was the Double Barrel? I fancy one for my Banshee.

coogan
    Free Member

Coil all the way! 8)

cynic-al
    Free Member

Entirely subjective – ignore that pillock coogan, he's a sh*t rider anyway, you could probably swap all his coil shocks/forks for air ones and he'd never know the difference riding in the carpark! 😛

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

You like Heavy bikes ?

Just really ugly ones apparently

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

CCDB is soo last year, did no one tell you BOSS is this years must have overpriced bed spring?

oxnop
    Free Member

I'm getting the CCDB with the frame so it's costing me less than it would if I bought off the net but it's still more than my GF wants me to spend!

I must add that the service I have had from Si @ progressive has been really good so far, I've prob emailed him 50 times over this & at all hours and he has always replied promptly. And as my frame will take around 2 wks to arrive but the CCDB takes longer – he is going to loan me a rp23 in the meantime. Which IMO is great service.

Back OT though- I'm quite excited to try this kind of bike/kind of riding with a coil – as I've said many times before I've had 8 bikes in a year with 4 of them being FS with different suspension designs; it will be interesting to see how they compare.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

From the point of view of your GF I'd nick her forks, that way she gets new shiney (and lighter) forks. Nice treat for her – got to sweeten things a bit, no? Even if she doesn't 'want' them, I bet she'll appreciate loosing a bit of weight on the front, most of us women prefer lighter forks and wheels…

geetee1972
    Free Member

I loved my Revelations when I had them but they were coil not air and they were Push tuned at source by TF; I'd have happily matched them to a CCDB.

The thing to watch out for is a mismatch in performance between the forks and the CCDB; the Cane Creek is an amazing piece of kit and will do more than anything else you can spend money on (at any price) to improve the performance of your bike. That said, you need a fork that can perform to a similar level.

Coil would be ideal but I wouldn't say it's a pre-requisite. A Pushed Pike from TF would be awesome and not break the budget; also consdier the Marzocchi 55RC3 or the new FIT damped Fox 32 Van. Personally I'd go for the Pike with Push tuning done when you buy it direct. You'll also get the right spring installed and it's great value for money.

oxnop
    Free Member

Still not decided what to do- there are some new pike coils > over in the classifieds which has the standard spring (I'm 12 st and think the STD spring would suit?) or I can have some bling 2010 white revs off my GF's bike but there will be a mismatch. Aarrgghhh decisions decisions …..

coogan
    Free Member

Entirely subjective – ignore that pillock coogan, he's a sh*t rider anyway, you could probably swap all his coil shocks/forks for air ones and he'd never know the difference riding in the carpark!

You lie 😡

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Having recently thrown my leg over my coil sprung bike I've not ridden for about a year, I'd have to say, it feels more plush, and more confident than my air equipped bike. Presently, I'm thinking coil front, air rear, since the front end is where the control is at.

Whether or not I'm inclined to pack the extra weight is a different issue!

LoCo
    Free Member

Vanilla 32 15 QR is the way to go I reckon RlC one so you can tweak the compression would probably suit nicely.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Coil Lyrik + PUSH'd Van R for the win. 8)

poisonspider
    Free Member

I had a Romic coil on my Turner with air Pikes up front.

I used it mainly for uplift days, the Alps and Scottish trail centres and always felt that the front was mismatched to the rear.

I personally much prefer coil to air and my new ride (an 2010 Orange 5) has Fox 32 Vanilla (with QR15) up front and a CCDB at the back. I accept you do pay a hefty weight penalty but I don't mind it so much as coil gives you that bomb proof feeling on the decents (btw the Orange is 31lb and the Turner was 36lb)

si-wilson
    Free Member

15QR Vans would also be my choice, and i know where you can buy them cheap 😉

mikey74
    Free Member

Si: Any idea how much the Double Barrels are going for these days?

poisonspider
    Free Member

I just paid £550 for mine w/o a Ti spring, which would be £150 extra

mikey74
    Free Member

eek – perhaps I'll try and tune my air shock instead – or get an Elka

geetee1972
    Free Member

Si – how much?

si-wilson
    Free Member

Si – how much?

\

For what? CCDB or Van 15QR's?

forge197
    Free Member

I've paired the CCDB with a set of Lyriks on my XCL, I would let your GF keep her forks and you get a nice new set of Pikes, 150mm travel 20mm bolt through.

oxnop
    Free Member

Im thinking coils are the way to go.

forge197
    Free Member

you won't be dissapointed

Rivett
    Free Member

Coil both ends.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Si – the forks; already have a CCDB but would be interested in the weight loss that the Fox 32s can provide.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Rather than say prices on here mail me for details, ta!

dasnut
    Free Member

I wouldn't have though using a CCDB was worth it if you need to ask this question.

Whats the price of a CCDB? £500-£600?

I put a PUSH'd VAN R on my Zesty (£250) that is custom tuned for my riding and my weight.

Neither of them have a platform so they are both going to bob – yes you might be able to tune some of that out on the CCDB with Lo speed compression but at what cost?

Unless you are a wizz with shocks, having Hi\Lo compression on a rear shock sounds like a recipe for disaster. Especially when you have a big daft blue knob on the rev\pikes that pretty much does nothing, well compared to the quality damping controls on the CCDB anyhow.

nice bit of bling though.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Chumba sent over a VF2 frame to Malcolm at CC. they then mapped the frame with a CCDB and worked out some base settings for customers to start with, including preload, spring rates etc.

The CCDB is a great shock, and can tune out bob to a greater degree without losing much, it will certainly be miles better than an RP23 and Pro-pedal.

Imo coil shocks should be used more, people spend thousands on bikes and stick with the relatively basic and poor performing air shocks such as the RP23, which to me is a great waste. Even light weight trail bikes can benefit from having a good coil at the expense of a pound in additional weight.

dasnut
    Free Member

si, absolutely agree. Hence why I ditched the RP23 on the zesty and went for a PUSH'd VAN R.

But, to the "average" rider, are they going to notice the difference between that and a CCDB? Especially with many controls that will actually make the ride worse, but you won't be able to tell because you don't know what good is.

I have a PUSH'd DHX 5 on my nomad and I can't tell the difference between that and the VAN, for instance, and I consider myself pretty average 😉

I can tell the difference between a standard shock and one PUSH'd though, so I am not a total buffoon.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Imo coil shocks should be used more, people spend thousands on bikes and stick with the relatively basic and poor performing air shocks such as the RP23

Hell of a statement…..

So the bikes you sell with air shocks are rubbish and perform badly? Did you go to the same suspension theory school as Alan at Chumba? You got a bunch of CCDB to sell or something?

si-wilson
    Free Member

Hell of a statement…..

So the bikes you sell with air shocks are rubbish and perform badly? Did you go to the same suspension theory school as Alan at Chumba? You got a bunch of CCDB to sell or something?

I do not have any CCDB's to sell I only order what I sell.

It is just my belief that most coil shocks will out perform most air shocks. I didn’t go to any bike school, just my observations from riding and the tech used within the shock world.

So the bikes you sell with air shocks are rubbish and perform badly?

Where did I say that? The Chumba frames work well with the Fox air shocks. A bike is more than the shock of course, but better shocks can improve already good or bad designs, no? I am not dismissing air shocks, I use them on my bikes too, but the only reason we buy air shocks are due to weight savings and perhaps a lockout function?

Dino
    Free Member

Ahem totally agree Si.

Dino
    Free Member

Or even Amen !!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Coil on the rear + or – coil forks =’ is closed to new replies.