Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Coil Lyriks to 160mm new Pikes?
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Anyone made the switch? I’ve been using Pikes for a while, I like the feel of a coil fork (and it’s good for my crampy, lady hands on long descents, and I’ve been doing some work in France recently and will again next year for most of the season).

I hear a lot of good things about the new Pikes, over a pound lighter and now the same travel and almost the same diameter.

Bike is that last of the BLTs, so I have a tapered head tube and slack geometry.

I was thinking 2 step (having previously been put off the idea of a 2 step Lyrik after some bad press)

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have done exactly that- In July I sold my 160mm coil Lyriks and went to dual position (2-step) Pikes and, after years on Lyriks and old dual air Pikes they are an improvement.

They Pikes aren’t as stiff as the Lyrik but are comparable with old Pikes despite the weedy axle. The new Maxle is better (once you work out how to position it). I find my hands less fatigued on big descent- in fact, in the Pyrenees this summer they were a massive improvement and I suffered much less arm pump. The compression adjustment is more useful. They are really good, I’m very happy with them (other than the fact I’ve never spent so much on some springs in a tube before).

I use the travel adjuster a lot- I had U-turn lyriks and it was a faff but the dual position is very easy. The single air system is in some ways less adjustable than the dual air of my Pikes but the overall performance is much better so I feel no need to faff.

One thing- mine are black. If you want black dual position Pikes you have to get them from Germany, only white are available here.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks Munro. I’d agree that the u-turn is a phaff, especially when it decides to wind itself down at inopportune moments.

I think I’ll probably make the change, but maybe wait to see what the price is after Christmas.

I noticed that the Bikediscount.de ones were black, I’ll need to think about the colour combos…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Coil Lyriks to 160mm new Pikes?’ is closed to new replies.