Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Coil – just a placebo?
  • vinnyeh

I reckon the RC4 on my bike outperforms the 2010 RP23 it wore previously (with a diddly half inch increase in travel) but the majority of industry bods surveyed in this months mag seem to think that air is the way to go for just about every application bar pro DH.

So what’s the story – theres a shedload of folk on here who reckon coil at one end or the other has made a lot of difference- is it that we can’t set our bikes up decently with an airshock, placebo effect, or just Emperors new clothes, and no-one’s willing to wasting cash?

And why the disagreement with Those Who Really Ought To Know What’s Best For Us?

Taff
    Free Member

I like air on the rear but prefer the feel of a coil on a dh bike. I think it’s what I’m used to and not what’s best to be honest. A lot of riders were running air shocks on the rear at the WC.

jameso

Thought this was going to be an odd contraception question.

deus

BOS have gone air only for their forks next year.

VanHalen

shocks are so variable. they will only really be excellent if you get them custom tuned for you and your riding.

i think a coil shock is easier to set up and the stickyness of an air shock is not there so its easier to make if feel nice.

Trimix
    Free Member

There are physical differences between air and a spring when you compress them. If your the sort of rider that can feel differences then one will feel better than the other.

Which one will depend a bit on what you ride, how you ride, where you ride and your experience.

I failed to get my air shock to work for the type of riding I was doing, now got a coil and it works really well. Same trail, different shock, no placebo.

Trimix
    Free Member

Dont forget that marketing speak does not equal good riding advice. Try it for yourself and dont let marketing make up your mind.

warpcow
    Free Member

I would guess, as the owner of a ‘coiled’ bike, that air is more than adequate for the vast majority of riders, and that the “majority of industry bods” are weighing everything up (weight, simple adjustability, etc) and accepting a compromise in suspension performance.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Coil – just a placebo?’ is closed to new replies.