Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Coil fork won't compress….
  • BFITH
    Free Member

Just got back from the alps. (Muddy!). On the second day my forks (RS sektor dpc 150) wouldn’t compress at all- almost like they were locked out (I checked – they weren’t!). Occasionally movement would come back but then lock out again. Any body got any clever ideas as to what might have happened?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

whip the lowers off, spring out and see

nuke

Does the ‘lockout’ work? Sounds like oil from upper right leg (damper side) leaking into lowers. ‘Lockout’ shouldnt work as there will not be enough oil around damper circuit. If you drop the lowers and way more than 5ml comes out the right leg, that’ll prove it. Fairly common on RS forks and easy to fix…new o-ring and oil

dvatcmark
    Free Member

+1 for nukes diagnosis, I’ve had that happen to a pair of rs forks before.

BFITH
    Free Member

Thanks for the info. I’ll have a look when I get chance.
    I’ve swapped the spring before but not dropped the lowers – is this a fairly easy procedure?

Northwind

Yeah, basically 2 bolts and a tug. Oh and do it over a bucket or oil pan as the lowers bath will escape. Assuming there’s any oil in it!

BFITH
    Free Member

Anyone got a service manual for a coil sektor DPC. Cant seem to find one on SRAM website – only air version?

BFITH
    Free Member

Bump… Anybody got a service manual for a Sektor RL DPC 150?

BFITH
    Free Member

Bump again….anybody got anything?

chambord
    Free Member

What year are they?

BFITH
    Free Member

Got them November 2012…

chambord
    Free Member

Strange that it seems to be missing from the RS site.

How about this?

BFITH
    Free Member

that’s what I thought ….I have that one you gave the link to, but it doesn’t include the DPC….spose it will be a very similar dismantle…

BFITH
    Free Member

Update…. Just taken lowers off. Very little oil came out. What did come out was just like thick dirty water. Inside of lowers very dirty … Must have been a serious amount of water ingress whilst in the alps. I presume a fair amount of oil should have come out when I whipped the lowers off?

Northwind

Not much usually- like, millilitres, the lowers bath is small so once it’s splashed around the forks, you don’t get a huge amount out when you drop them off (enough to make a mess mind)

But I think we were all expecting to find the damper had pissed itself into the lowers. Next step is just seeing if either leg feels locked up.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Not really it’s only 15ml or less of oil per leg

dvatcmark
    Free Member

With the lowers off try pushing damper rod in and out. If it won’t move it’s time to strip that next

BFITH
    Free Member

Damper rod moves fine …. Sounds a bit squelchy though.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

That’s normal, it can only be the spring assembly then.

BFITH
    Free Member

Hope not only had spring since Xmas!

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Don’t rs forks have a 2 year warranty?

BFITH
    Free Member

Just had spring out – looks ok to me. Will compare it to medium spring I took out last year if I can find it.
    Might just clean and reassemble – see if that does the trick………

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Coil fork won't compress….’ is closed to new replies.