Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 420 total)
  • Coil Conversion for the Pike
  • Rubber_Buccaneer

Probably yours is headed for the UK and mine is going who knows where 🙂 I couldn’t find Angleterre in the address drop down so opted for Royaume Uni

Denis99
    Free Member

I had my coil package delivered earlier today.

Probably fit in the next few days.
    If it performs well, which I expect it to, then I will order another kit for my new bike.

legend
    Free Member

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member
    Probably yours is headed for the UK and mine is going who knows where I couldn’t find Angleterre in the address drop down so opted for Royaume Uni

haha nah you’re grand, mine is addressed the same way

legend
    Free Member

Now at Charles De Gaulle ………. *waits patiently*

ganic
    Free Member

Im thinking of doing my 2017 29er Lyrik from air to coil. Do you retain the existing air topcap for that as well?

Has anyone done a Lyrik yet? Any comments?

legend
    Free Member

Kit is now in the hands of the local postie. Hopefully get it installed tonight

Rubber_Buccaneer

Mine is also out for delivery but I can’t see me fitting it before the weekend

…and even than it won’t be until after Saturday morning’s ride on a rubbishy old air spring 🙂

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Installation took me (a cack handed, slow, slightly drunk mechanic) about two hours…..do it on Friday….go for a ride with your new toy.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Boing!

otsdr
    Free Member

I’m digging the whole “made in my house” thing, but the contraption really looks made in his house :/.
    Won’t the spring ping the insides of the uppers, rendering them unusable for future air “downgrades”?

legend
    Free Member

Very possibly, but there’s not much you can do about that. Also, that’s just what fork parts look like. Wouldn’t expect RS stuff to look any better/worse

Rubber_Buccaneer

I don’t know. There is a transparent sheet there that goes inside the stanchion to shield it from the spring. I’d hope it will do the job.

The spring is nicely finished and other parts are more functional than beautiful but they do appear to be just that, functional.

I’m looking forward to giving it a go. Fingers crossed the spring rate is right for me

otsdr
    Free Member

Ah, missed the big transparent sheet, expected collars on the spring.
    It’s the matte/raw aluminium look of the shaft that’s throwing me off, but there’s no need for anodizing or polishing as there’s no seal on that surface. Fair enough :).

Rubber_Buccaneer

Is legend down the shed workshop?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m digging the whole “made in my house” thing, but the contraption really looks made in his house :/.
    Won’t the spring ping the insides of the uppers, rendering them unusable for future air “downgrades”?

Every coil I have ever owned has rubbed on the inside of the stanchions, Marz, Foz, Rock Shox….all do it. This one actually rubs the least…. The only way to totally mitigate coil bind would be to go back to his old design whereby the shaft extended all the way along the inside of the coil, with the coil tightly wound around it.

The clear insert seems to work when it comes to protecting the inner stanchions.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I can see why the circlip thing will be a fiddle Tom, it’s twice around!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah, that was quite fun. I used some thin pliers to help, don’t be scared to bend it/open it up, to get it in – it rebounds to it’s original shape well.

I like the design to be honest – once you’ve got the assembly in, you don’t have to remove the lowers to change the spring rate – you just drop the spring in from the top. Which will make life easier if you start hitting the pies.

legend
    Free Member

I just used the finger technique in the instructions- took 30 seconds 🙂

Whole job took 45mins including getting the fork off and on the bike. Really easy to do and what a difference as soon as you get on the bike!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Show off.

Also, it’s teh awesomez isn’t it?

Now I need a coil for the back, because the monarch feels even shitter than usual now. It used to be that the Reign flattened bumps better at the back than the front, then the front was a bit better after the FAST damper mod and certainly less spikey than the rear….now it’s laughable…the front just devours things like they aren’t there where as the back spikes massively trying to keep up with it. It’s the first time I’ve had a bike where there has been such a night and day difference between the front and rear performance.

legend
    Free Member

Skillz 8)

Admittedly I had warmed up by swapping over an air shaft on my mates Pike just before 😉

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Anyway, I really hope I’ve made a good recommendation – and you guys aren’t going to come and lynch me for recommending something French.

legend
    Free Member

Being French I actually expect it to be really good…… for a short while 😉

Nah it feels cracking on the car park test, exactly what I was after really! Rebound already sorted (I reckon) will see where the LSC wants to go at the weekend but certainly not at all divey (compared to the air) when under braking with the old setting

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I really, really rate the FAST damper in combination with it, it really allows you to dial in the compression adjustments – loads of clicks to fine tune it and it’s even more noticable with the coil for some reason….I assume due to the lack stiction in the system meaning that I’ve got a more usable range of LSC adjustment before the fork becomes too insensitive for my weight.

The rebound feels livelier to me on the trail, but not in an uncontrolled deep stroke lurching way – more like a little extra pop off the top for hoping off small trails obstacles.

So much for air being as good as a coil, eh? **** progress….pfffft.

#suspensionhipster 8)

Rubber_Buccaneer

Tom_W1987 – Member
    Anyway, I really hope I’ve made a good recommendation – and you guys aren’t going to come and lynch me for recommending something French.

Only problem is likely to be my now sky high expectations 🙂

As for buying something French, may as well do it now before there is a couple of week wait to clear customs, few % import duty and a Parcel Force fee of £14 for the pleasure 🙁

legend
    Free Member

otsdr – Member

To go back to this question. Future conversion back to air should be absolutely fine. There’s a sleeve (of sorts) supplied that will protect the inside of the fork leg, so future sealing seems highly unlikely to be affected

steel4real
    Free Member

Yes – surely if you’re concerned put a few pieces of the heat shrink on spaced along the spring and obviously grease the spring and heat shrink a la boxxers ?

Or pretty much any coil fork I’ve owned.

kimbers

Really keen to find out how everyone is getting on

Getting the right spring rate is the issue for me tbh as I run much less sag than recomended

Rubber_Buccaneer

There’s a sleeve (of sorts) supplied

and since it should sit static inside the stanchion I expect it to do a fine job. It is something that I will check now and then

Rubber_Buccaneer

Getting the right spring rate is the issue for me

Indeed. Give Richard all your info and trust his experience is all you can do. It would be great to have a selection of springs to swap between and pick the most suitable. Once TF have their kit available maybe that will be an option or at least a FOC/cheap exchange deal

legend
    Free Member

and borrow some acetate from work if it wears out 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have to admit to total ignorance of what material would be suitable and won’t be eaten by grease. Is acetate what I would be looking for?

legend
    Free Member

No idea tbh, but it does look a lot like acetate in the kit!

kelvin

Due to a scratch, mine already refuse to hold air anyway… hence looking at a spring. I’ve no easy way of working out what weight spring I need though, because the forks are out of use.

legend
    Free Member

You don’t need to know. You just tell him what weight you are, what sag you’d like and what sort of riding you do, and he sorts it from there

kelvin

Who has the best description of fitting this kit?
    Need to decide if I’m capable of doing it myself, or if I should wait for TFT.

legend
    Free Member

http://www.crconception.com/web_documents/spring_kit_2017.pdf

If you can do a lower leg service you can fit the kit (and anyone with some hex keys and a mallet is capable of that)

kelvin

Ta.

What sag did people ask for?
    Without my fork working, I can’t work out what I was running.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I asked for 21 percent. I got 21 percent, I’m not saying he’ll be that accurate for all of you. But here’s the thing with the coil, if he’s a few percent out either way it will still feel more supportive or more sensitive than your air fork.

Also Kimbers, you don’t need to run ridiculously low amounts of sag to get the support with the coil, but if you want 10 or 15 percent sag then I’m sure Richard will do it for you.

kelvin

Useful answer. Thumbs up.

legend
    Free Member

Think I asked for 23 and got 23 – it’s almost embarrassing 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 420 total)

The topic ‘Coil Conversion for the Pike’ is closed to new replies.