Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Coffeetrackworld – salt
  • ratherbeintobago

I’ve heard it suggested a small pinch of salt might make strong coffee less bitter, and this is apparently the traditional USN way of drinking it. Anyone tried?

Gordy
    Free Member

Don’t think I’ve ever made coffee bitter enough to warrant it. Would probably try vanilla or rum before salt anyway.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yes, tried it after reading a Tom Clancy book. Bogging.

ratherbeintobago

Yes, tried it after reading a Tom Clancy book. Bogging.

Funnily enough, am re-reading Hunt For The Red October after watching the BBC thing about submarines in the Cold War.

My initial thought is that it sounds revolting (on a par with 2/3 HN in the minging naval drinks stakes) but I found this which suggests it might be OK. Not brave enough to try. Yet.

jpacey
    Free Member

Salt in chocolate is good but it’s got to be horrid in coffee. Going to try have to try it I’m the morning to see. Incidentally, I once had Tibetan tea with butter in which was the most disgusting thing I’ve ever tasted

Russell96

I can remember my Grandfather doing it, I was too young at the time to ask why, how he picked up the habit, but I guess the coffee available during the wars probably wasn’t stellar so maybe to help with the taste? Or perhaps from his older brothers who picked it up in the trenches.

bruneep

Id change coffee if its that bitter.

sbob
    Free Member

If your coffee is too bitter, and you would like it to be sweeter, try adding something sweet, like sugar.

I know! It’s frickin’ mental innit?

Drac

If only there was a substance that made things sweeter.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Coffeetrackworld – salt’ is closed to new replies.