• This topic has 21 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Bazz.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Coffee snobs….
  • Smudger666

Like me, may want to try the kenco Millicano thang, and its actually pretty decent.

Coffee machine is away for a service (not looking forward to the bill @£40/hr +parts) so thought I’d give it a whirl having avoided instant coffee for over a year and its not half bad.

Stoner
    Free Member

tried the millicano, couldnt like it.
    The Carte noire instinct though is our regular instant now.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

None of them touch Starbucks Via. Though, I imagine a jar of Via would be around £57 or thereabouts. 🙂 Have a jar of that Carte Noire stuff. It’s not bad actually. It’ll do for camping coffee.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jamesy01
    Free Member

Got 2 tins of the millicano a few months back in ASDA for a £1 each…was half way through boiling the kettle before I realised it was ‘Cafe Free’, still it’s a nice cuppa before bed!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

The Carte noire instinct though is our regular instant now.

Likewise. I was reluctant initially but it’s about as good an instant coffee I’ve ever tried.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Likewise. I was reluctant initially but it’s about as good an instant coffee I’ve ever tried.

I imagine it was quite a hard sell for them given that their instant was “supposed” to be the “best” instant anyway. 🙂

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

We prefer the Nescafe Azera, only bought when on offer, but still dislike paying money to nestle, so usually have something else fairtrade!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

None of them touch Starbucks Via.

Didn;t like it, left an unpleasant gritty after taste. Carte Noir or Lyons coffee bags if i can’t be arsed with the real thing

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s true B.A.Nana. It is gritty, but I always assumed that that was because it actually contains more micro grinds than some of the other (cheaper) brands.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I imagine it was quite a hard sell for them given that their instant was “supposed” to be the “best” instant anyway.

Is it? I have no idea. I bought on the recommendation of a friend who knows how much I struggle to enjoy instant coffee. I find this brand tolerable, which essentially makes it the best I have tried.

andyfla
    Free Member

Instant, coffee and decent in the same sentence, surely a mistake somewhere ?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

A lot of coffee heretics in this thread!

trail_rat
    Free Member

if i am confronted with not having the facilities to make coffee …. i prefer just to pour ground coffee into a cup add hot water and stir , let it settle till the grind falls out of suspension and then drink.

these occasions have been rare since i got my bodum travel press 😀

the lyons coffee bags are the second most tollerable but ive never been able to find them easily.

Milicano just tasted burnt and chalky to me.

FuzzyWuzzy

I thought Millicano was horrible, Via is OK but prefer Nescafe Alta Rica – not seen that Azera stuff before though looks like it could be worth trying.

mangatank
    Free Member

Douwe Egberts is the least, worst, awful. Thank god there’s ground Starbucks to fall back on

soobalias
    Free Member

service a coffee machine?

whats wrong with the stove top espresso pot? Anything else just seems complicated.

Smudger666

Lol at all these other instant brands I have never heard of – machine due back on Tuesday so ill probably never get/have to taste them and can revert to my default(and obviously ignorant) position of snobbish dismissivness. 🙂

baby
    Free Member

I just chuck what’s left in the cafetiere from yesterday into the microwave. Put it on for a minute, hey presto, instant coffee.

prawny

Dowe Egberts espresso is good. Not available everwhere though so we have to make do with the dark roast most of the time, which is tolerable.

As much as a coffee lover as I am, I really cant be bothered to faff with espresso machines in the house. I’ll never make coffee as good as Yorks in brum, so I don’t bother anymore. I’ve got a tassimo for a ground coffee fix. The coffee tastes as good as a filter machine, probably better than starbucks and takes no cleaning.

corroded
    Free Member

Can’t believe I’m reading this on STW. A real let-down.

clubber
    Free Member

Mrs Clubber won a year’s supply of Milicano a few months back – that’s 12 tin’s worth BTW.

I think it’s decent enough – much better than most instants and I can quite happily drink it when I haven’t got time for a ‘proper’ coffee.

Bazz

When proper coffee isn’t available, for what ever reason, there is only one alternative, it is called tea! 😆

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Coffee snobs….’ is closed to new replies.