Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Coffee pricier than beer moan.
  • ChrisS
    Free Member

Ordering coffee in a pub/bar/restaurant after. 6pm should be punishable by cheap instant with uht milk.

But when I go to the pub with friends or on a works night out I’m often driving, and hence not drinking, I’m often tired too. I’d far rather drink coffee with them in the pub, than either sit in a coffee shop on my own (if one was even open that late), or drink the chemical effluent that is Red Bull or diet coke.

Is this just a british, pub, thing? Doesn’t seem to be such an issue in bars on the continent?

binners

Yes, yes, its all very well sitting outside continental bars, sipping your expresso and smoking a Gitane, but this is Britain!

Pubs are for either getting completely wasted in, while stood up drinking a WKD blue, trying to hear each other over the happy hardcore, before having a fight outside a kebab house on the way home.

Or you’ve graduated to the ones where bitter and disillusioned people gather together, normally to shelter from the weather, or their desperate marriages, and grumble about everything, drowning their sorrows in ale, while saying how they’re increasingly coming round to Nigel Farages way of thinking.

Coffee figures in neither of these dystopias I’m afraid.

Stoner
    Free Member

and peroni wont just let any dive sell it’s beer. The man from peroni must come round and give the nod before the wholesaler may install a peroni pump. Too much sick on the carpet and lipstick on the glasses and it’s non prego.

Arsewittery from the Bose school of selling tat for too much.

Saccades
    Free Member

coffee after 6pm should be punishable by cheap instant with uht milk.

Sounds good to me, hate the taste of redbull etc and sometimes out on the lash you need a bit of a pick me up.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’m fine with the boy drinking and wanting something else, I’m very fine with that stuff not being coke or similar – I once had to clean up a box of post mix syrup which, cost aside, was a bloody horrible job, and having seen what it did to the floor and the hairs on my hands (any one looking for an alternative to immac?) made me glad I don’t drink the stuff.

The resistance is to do with the arse ache, (sweeping generalisation) if people just wanted coffee, black white in a mug that would be fine but they don’t, it’s the same as cocktails, people want fancy flamboyant nonsense concerned entirely with appearance.

Don’t misunderstand me, I like my coffee,I have a syphon at home which produces a great cup and if you want a poncey appearance driven way of making coffee one with a dedicated spirit burner is probably up there. Would I expect one in a pub? No, not ever. Can IME most people tell a flat white from a latte or a cappuccino? No, most still still think it’s expresso for heavens sake.

On the continent people also talk foreign, drink beer (slowly) from small glasses, eat small garden birds and drink coffee standing up. Do I think because the euros do it is better? Non, on the whole I don’t, and I suggest next time you get that if it’s fine for the _______ is fine for you, you contemplate cycling/driving on the right hand side of the road, after all, is fine for the French.

<edit> sorry rather more ranty than intended, next time I’ll try avoiding posting immediately after coming off the phone to an automated service which kept me waiting 20 minutes to be cut off by an operator on a non-geographical number. Sigh.

molgrips
    Free Member

Would I expect one in a pub? No, not ever.

Pubs are nice convivial comfortable places. Why would one not want to pop into one during the day and have a coffee?

andytherocketeer

Beer is essentially some barley and flowers mixed with water and allowed to rot

which is funny, when the flowers are naturally antiseptic.

poncy water is worst. especially in ski resorts. beer (if you can call stella/1664 that) is water that’s been processed, and taxed more than most things, but is cheaper than the water that came out of the bottom of the mountain you’re skiing on!

ahwiles
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Pubs are nice convivial comfortable places. Why would one not want to pop into one during the day and have a coffee?

what he ^ said.

or even; ‘one has had a couple of lovely pints, but one really needs to be up and about with a clear head in the morning. One would really like a peppermint tea, and would be happy to pay £2 for it for the extra 20mins chatting shite with one’s pals’

or has one gone too far?

binners

Comfortable?
    Convivial?
    Coffee?

Pfft!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The syphon particularly? Because it takes about 20 minutes, and, as much as it is a good coffee, a pub is not the place.

As far as popping in at lunch time for a coffee goes, that’s fine, so long as you don’t eat lunch after 6pm. Oh and so long as you’re not going to occupy a table which someone wants to sit at to eat lunch if all you’re doing is drinking a coffee, fine when it’s quiet, not so fine when is busy.

If you would like to order a coffee which takes 20 minutes to make mind they do have syphons in ozone coffee (nice eggs benedict, though personally I found the coffee to be a bit under roasted for my tastes) similar outlets are available around London in sure, (though for those of us outside the m25 most coffee shops will remain green and white monstrosities) the thing is that’s what their business is about, they exist to provide that and that’s good, don’t expect a great reception from them though if you order three stellas and a packet of pickled onion monster munch. Equally those pubs which want to serve coffee (rather than are/feel obligated) will doubtlessserve your double macchiato with a very smile and an ammereti biscuit. On the other hand those who serve coffeeby obligation will likely treat you with disdain, the same as if you ordered three pints of water and nothing else.

20 minutes to make a coffee?!

Best have a pint while you’re waiting

big_n_daft
    Free Member

binners – Member
    Anyone who orders coffee in a pub needs frog marching out of the door, possibly at gunpoint, then given a proper shoeing by a lynch mob of angry regulars, to teach them the error of their ways about what a total pain in the arse they’re being! Then if/when they’ve regained consciousness, pointed beaten and bleeding in the direction of one or more of the approximately 9 ****ing million coffee shops that are now cluttering up the nation!

I’ll let you know when the bunch of Santa Cruz riders roll up again at the Hare and Hounds for a round of skinny latte’s after their Sunday morning ride through Reddisher Woods 😉

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Coffe in a pub? I suppose you want a copy of the white company catalogue or a PG Woodhouse to read while you’re sipping it? There are places for people like you, they’re called cafes. Or tea rooms, if you prefer tea.

ransos
    Free Member

Because one is amply served by the vast range of cafés available in every town.

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought we weren’t supposed to go into big chain coffee shops and support local businesses instead?

Of course you may be with other people who want a drink but you may not be drinking yourself….

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    I thought we weren’t supposed to go into big chain coffee shops and support local businesses instead?

I don’t think I’ve ever set foot in an independent pub which also has a coffee machine. IME the machines are the province of the “foisted on us by head office” brigade, or of course, coffee shops where I expect you would find a machine regardless of its chain/independent status.

ransos
    Free Member

If I want a coffee, I use locally-run cafés, not Wetherspoons.

chewkw
    Free Member

ransos – Member

If I want a coffee, I use locally-run cafés, not Wetherspoons.

But some pubs have comfy chair/sofa whatever … 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

Well I’m glad you know all the pubs and coffee shops in every town in Britain so you can tell me what I should be doing. This has been a great help 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Enjoy your trip to the Harvester. Deposit your will to live by the front door.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Obviously you should drink coffee in coffee shops and beer in pubs… I dare say you *could* do it the other way around but why any one would want to escapes me.

On a relevant (ish as it’s part of my assertion about independent pubs not having coffee machines) note:

At what point does something cease to be independent? 2 outlets 20? 2000?

nealglover
    Free Member

I once had to clean up a box of post mix syrup which, cost aside, was a bloody horrible job, and having seen what it did to the floor and the hairs on my hands (any one looking for an alternative to immac?) made me glad I don’t drink the stuff.

Try dipping your hands in stomach acid.

Which do you think would be worse 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Coffee pricier than beer moan.’ is closed to new replies.