Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Coffee pod help – is this a good deal?
  • robdob
    Free Member

Saw this in Leeds. Are they any good? Looking to spend up to £100 on one as a present but have no idea about them.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Fairly sure there was a PSA a couple of days ago about these

Bregante

Different model.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-cheap-nespresso-coffee-machines

Can’t speak highly enough of my nespresso machine. Don’t think the capsules are compatible with the dolce gusto though.

robdob
    Free Member

What’s the difference then between nespresso and dolce gusto?

Bregante

According to a quick Google, the dolce gusto coffees offer espresso as well as a range flavoured coffees, lattes and cappuccinos etc.

Nespresso is just different black coffees. Espresso, Ristretto etc so you add your own milk if that’s your thing. The capsules are not compatible with each other. Never tried the dolce gusto capsules tbh.

stumpy01

We’ve got a Dolce Gusto and friends have got the nespresso with milk frother thing.
    I would say that the Nespresso does better coffee, although the Dolce Gusto is good and there’s plenty of pod choice if you buy through the website.

robdob
    Free Member

I suppose my friends would want the ability to buy pods from other places – is nespresso best for that then?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Are you after coffee or espresso?

Coffee nerds would say such machines are definitely not the latter 😉

But they can make reasonable coffee with ease. If you’re really serious about espresso though you may find the pod machines (especially if locked into Nespresso brand) can work out more expensive in the long term compared to a more expensive decent espresso machine and grinder, although they take a fair bit more effort.

Not sure what these machines are like for the pressure required. I do know I had a “cheap” (around this price) coffee machine with what claimed to be an espresso maker but the pressure was too pathetic and always tasted horrible. What you get with the pod stuff is pre-ground and tamped coffee sealed in a pod supposedly to keep fresh and save all that hassle, but the machine still needs to extract properly at the right temperature and pressure.

scotroutes

There’s also Tassimo…. 😆

hugo
    Free Member

I believe that the average capsule machine owner makes better coffee than the average owner of a manual espresso machine.

Better potential with a manual setup, but also far more variables to control.

As a present the above would be good WITH a load of capsules thrown in, otherwise the first thing they need to do is fork out. Good product though in my opinion.

fooman

Nespresso is an espresso machine using a high pressure pump to force water through coffee, you then add milk to taste. Unlike a barista machine where you grind and tamp coffee it’s already done in a pod. I used to do all that before changing to Nespresso for the convenience – it’s cleaner, quicker and consistent.

Tassimo & Dolce are more like filter / instant coffee machines sometimes with milk powder already in, if you are happy with instant you’d be happy with these.

prettygreenparrot

The two terms are pretty incompatible: “coffee pod” and “good deal”. Instead, get a grinder, some really fresh beans, and a filter. You’ll be much happier with the brew you get.

cheekyget
    Free Member

Another tassimo lover here….. 🙂

Saccades
    Free Member

Dolce are ok to good, that machine would make them much better than my cheapo one as you can pick a strength and it makes it. Anything with their milk in is a bit crap.

Tassimo are better (I think, milk is much better anyways) and the machine at work reads the barcode and makes the drink the same everytime.

Nesprsso smells the mutts… harder to get the pods things (1 shop in ireland I think, something daft like that).

stumpy01

robdob – Member
    I suppose my friends would want the ability to buy pods from other places – is nespresso best for that then?

Not really. Most supermarkets sell the pods – Americano, espresso, latte, cappuccino etc. but the website does chocolate, chai tea (whatever that is) etc.
    On the Dolce Gusto website they do free delivery if you order 4 boxes or more at a time (about £14 worth)

slimjim78
    Free Member

We treated ourselves to a Nespresso machine a couple weeks ago in the end of line sales, was around £200.

I’m happy with a Nescafé but the Mrs likes a good coffee and used to blow £3 every morning at the petrol station. Now she takes a flask and it costs about £0.30 per pod.
    To be fair, the froth this thing kicks out is impressive, I’ve never had coffee quite like it!

We’ve found tesco pod variants that work out £0.21ea and taste pretty good.

It’s easy to remove the milk section and pop it in fridge and/or clean it. Self cleaning mode is good too. I’d recomend them, only minor gripe is coffee comes out perfect drinking temp, leave it for more than a minute or two and you’ll probably want it hotter. Using room temp milk helps.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Coffee pod help – is this a good deal?’ is closed to new replies.