Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Coffee on a bike
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I was going to get the Trek Soho mug, but it seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Any other suggestions for carrying coffee on a bike?

stumpy01

I’ve got one of these:

http://www.johnlewis.com/contigo-travel-mug-470ml/p359163

for keeping my drink hot while tinkering in the garage during the winter.

It seals and there’s a large button to open the little flap over the drinking hole.
    It’s almost too effective, as I have often done my tinkering in the garage by the time the drink has cooled down enough to drink it – I end up taking the lid off to allow it to cool to a drinkable temperature! Probably a bit different on the road with some active cooling!

EDIT – dunno how secure it would be in a normal bottle cage & if you do get one, don’t get a coloured on as they aren’t dishwasher proof, whereas the plain stainless one is (lid on them all is dishwasher proof)

gazc
    Free Member

i have a seat tube mounted bottle cage which carries a medium/large size standard coffee cup fine – saying that that’s only from the shop to my office about 5mins!

gazc
    Free Member

double post

molgrips
    Free Member

Stumpy, I need either a mug that fits in a bottle cage, or a way of carrying a normal mug.

stumpy01

molgrips – Member
    Stumpy, I need either a mug that fits in a bottle cage

Just get a metal bottle cage and bend it a bit….

If I remember, I will see how mine fits into my bottle cages (Spesh Rib Cages) tonight.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Can’t see the point, espresso doesn’t last that long.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i used to just stick it in a bottle at puffer – by the time im at the log bridge its tepid and ready to be skulled 😀

woody2000

I use one of these. Fits in a standard bottle cage, preferably plastic or with rubber “grips” as they scratch easily.

cinnamon_girl

Wot’s wrong with a flask in a backpack?

kayak23

Something like this?

andytherocketeer

pretend your german, take a stove and bialetti, and ride up a mountain specially to make an alfresco brew? and film it, of course, to put on vimeo.

molgrips
    Free Member

Wot’s wrong with a flask in a backpack?

Could do, yes. I don’t want to have a backpack on though, for a series of reasons involving perspiration 🙂

bikeneil
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

Damn, did not check charlie’s page. That did not come up in searches though.

However the cup’s only 12 fl oz ..

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve got a thermal bottle that fits in a std bottle cage, can’t remember where I got it from now 🙄 but I’ve only used it once to put tea in it not used since. You can have it, it’s just sitting with the other bottles taking up space. It’s a squeezy bottle but way more sturdy than a normal bottle and not a hard shell like the current crop of hard plastic outers..

crikey
    Free Member

No one seems to have asked why…

Why?
    Why do you need coffee on a bike molgrips?
    What earthly reason can there be for carrying coffee on a bike, molgrips?
    Why, for Gods sake, why?

grum
    Free Member

crikey +1

woody2000

When it’s brass monkeys out, it’s quite nice to have a warm brew on the bike. Find a sheltered spot and have a quick slurp, nice 🙂

I sometimes carry a warm drink on the commute in deepest winter, it’s nice!

crikey
    Free Member

I sometimes carry a warm drink on the commute in deepest winter, it’s nice!

I store a nip of sherry in the upper plate of my false teeth. Just have to keep my head level until I want it, then a quick tip of the bonce and Hey Presto, a nice warm slurp of QC.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why do you need coffee on a bike molgrips?

Hehe, I was waiting for someone to ask that, I just knew it’d be you!

Picture the scene. A cold dark morning, I drag myself out of bed at 6am (equivalent to 3.30am in normal person time), I tiptoe around in the dark so as not to wake the wife or kids, I sit on the bog for 10 minutes whilst my brain defrosts and drags itself into the functioning early morning horror, then I put on cycle kit and grab the bike, still reeling, brain screaming.. I get on the bike and pin it to the station because it’s just about the only training time I get, no breakfast. I make it into town with time to spare but what’s this.. what’s down by the station? A coffee shop! Warm sweet strength, so sweet.. so delicious.. and they have almond croissants too. I lock up and go inside, buy my coffee but I don’t drink it yet – I want to sit and savour it as it nurses me to life on the train. So that means I have to carry it whilst I ride 400 yards to the station, buy a ticket and manhandle my bike all around the place with just one hand.

A cup holder would be great at this point.

sssimon
    Free Member

the real question then will be where are you going to put your croissant?

hjghg5
    Free Member

I have an insulated bottle which I use for winter commutes. If I make coffee just before I set off it’s just the right temperature when I pull up at the first set of lights in the city centre. Suddenly I don’t mind the stop start stretch at the end of the ride because it gives more time to savour the caffeine 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Ah, I see.

I would buy a small stainless steel flask; you can get them to hold about a cup of coffee. Decant and stuff in bag, get on train and slurp away.

Clas Ohlson do a .35 litre one, which costs about £5 and should do the trick.

The small flasks don’t work as well in terms of temperature as bigger ones, you know the physics, so I’d not recommend filling it at home.

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Asaklitt-Vacuum-Flask/Pr315510001

The croissant should go down the front of your trews. 😀

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Monkii cage

Will carry anything tubeish shaped up to about 100mm diameter, sure it would hold a coffee cup or a flask

Superficial
    Free Member

This one comes with a gimbal. Not sure if it’s big enough for a coffee mug though?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stainless-Steel-Motorcycle-Cup-Holder-Up-To-1-Handlebar-Beverage-Holder-/400573333679

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Small flask in pack?

bigblackshed

Molgrips

Klean Kanteen

They also do bottle cages to fit.

crikey
    Free Member

Just in case you think I’ve gone a bit soft, you could also buy cans of Carlsberg Special Brew for about £7, it’s 9% and was originally brewed for Winston Churchill, so it should be ok for a morning pick-me-up. 😀

Edit: and it comes in convenient portable containers.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Starbucks, travel tumblers (flip top thermos flask) are pretty good at keeping drinks warm .. go for a metal one (££) not the plastic ones.
    Keeps my morning (home made) mocha hot for a good 2-3 of hours and cools very slowly
    It’s only flip top, but it’s very very spill resistant over a quick shake or two even briefly upside down as it’s a tolerance fit rubber wedge and a light ‘clipping’ actiong that blocks the drink hole rather than just a slidey lid.

Go into your nearest branch and have a fiddle with one to inspect, range of sizes, my one fit’s my normal bottle cage OK, though some don’t. Not cheap either compared to some. They change models all the time as they seem to almost be collectables

Not true thermos territory but easier to drink while cruisin’

_tom_
    Free Member

Well this has to be the most ridiculous and middle class thread I’ve seen for quite some time, well done.

drlex
    Free Member

Biologic? Not cheap, but sippy spout for convenient supping.

crikey
    Free Member

Well this has to be the most ridiculous and middle class thread I’ve seen for quite some time, well done.

What, in amongst all the baby monitor, best coffee, best coffee machine, best pram, best kitchen knives, best German automobile, best way of schooling little Jacinta, best waterproof jacket for wearing to the supermarket, best beer, best woodpile, best wood burner, best axe bollocks?

You need to pay more attention lad.

bearnecessities

best axe bollocks

Best not.

vinnyeh

Camelbak Big Chill? Can take hot liquids as well as cold.

grum
    Free Member

crikey – keep the revolution alive brother (posted from my iPad). 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those stove top coffee things that we were bought as a present about 10 years ago. We moved house 8 months ago and it surfaced in the mess, so I thought I’d give it a go. Turns out that it makes 4 cups of espresso, not one cup of strong coffee. I spent an hour on the toilet, then rode 50 miles at full gas before it dawned on me…

I am a peasant and it shows… 😆

ianfitz
    Free Member

I have one of them biologic flask things. They fit in a standard bottle cage. Pretty good insulator and ok to drink from

I do use mine for tea though. Sorry.

Although it is usually single estate hand rolled jasmine tea. Brewed for 2.5 minutes at 80c and put into a prewarmed flask.

crikey
    Free Member

Although it is usually single estate hand rolled jasmine tea. Brewed for 2.5 minutes at 80c and put into a prewarmed flask.

See?
    See what I have to put up with?
    Typhoo or PG Tips, although I’d have experimented with Heinz beans and sausages by now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Coffee on a bike’ is closed to new replies.